Xiaoyu Yu & Yang Jin | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Xiaoyu Yu & Yang Jin

veneresplende

Rinkside
Got some info that Y/J won't be upgrading their side by side jumps this season. Apparently Xiaoyu wasn't doing very well in summer practice, but I don't know if this is connected to that decision or not. They're not training them at all.

s_parks

Record Breaker
Got some info that Y/J won't be upgrading their side by side jumps this season. Apparently Xiaoyu wasn't doing very well in summer practice, but I don't know if this is connected to that decision or not. They're not training them at all.

Ah, thanks for the info. It would be technically advantageous to upgrade the sbs jumps, but it's a wise decision to hold that off if she wasn't feeling comfortable with it. They're a very young team and it's not dire if they can't do harder jumps right this season. Good luck to them in the upcoming gp's! And with that quad throw.

ahkeekee

Medalist
Just finished watching the live broadcast of eurosport for pairs short, it seems that the Eurosport uncles love the short program by Yu Jin, they're in third place, the competition is so tight and exciting!!! They had a good skate tonight! Good luck for Yu Jin for their free skate tomorrow!! The Eurosport uncles also mentioned several times that they thought Yu Jin's second score, the components score was underscored (did I get it right?)?

Last edited:

s_parks

Record Breaker
Congrats for a great skate and PB! I totally agree with the eurosport commentators- the pcs was too low and they should've been second. Anyways, I hope they nail it in the free tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

veneresplende

Rinkside
Congrats for a great skate and PB! I totally agree with the eurosport commentators- the pcs was too low and they should've been second. Anyways, I hope they nail it in the free tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

They definitely deserve 30+ PCS. Their particular type of energy just suits that program so well. They beat their PB by like 7-8 points which is really really impressive. I was hoping they'd get like 64 or something, so when I saw the results I was ecstatic! I'd just like them to please skate decently tomorrow lmao, keeping expectations low.

Also really amused/happy that the B.ESP. commentators thought they had the best program of the night, they really seem to connect with Y/J's style.

Last edited:

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
The British Eurosport guys have always been big fans of Yu/Jin, and it's always fun to listen to their commentary on their programs.

I was a little worried that Y/J fell off the radar after missing worlds and recycling both programs, but it's good to see them in good shape! Best of luck in the free!

s_parks

Record Breaker
I was a little worried that Y/J fell off the radar after missing worlds and recycling both programs, but it's good to see them in good shape! Best of luck in the free!

I think reusing last season's programs helped them. They present the program better, and are familiar with it opposed to the other pairs who are getting used to new ones. Anyways, I really hope they make the gpf now! I was skeptical as to whether they could this season, but... I'm feeling more optimistic now.

solar

Medalist
Country
United-States
I hope they make the final too. The field is tough, but they've improved a lot

icedinn

wishing ksenia/kirill happiness 4ever
On the Ice
Love the B Eurosport commentators going gaga over them. They even thought they should've been ahead of the Russians. I completely agree with them. And their pcs was wayyy to low.

Last edited:

ahkeekee

Medalist
Love the B Eurosport commentators going gaga over them. They even thought they should've been ahead of the Russians. I completely agree with them. And their pcs was wayyy to low.
I was so shocked that their PCS is not over 30!! I wonder what is the potential reasons for such an unexpectedly low PCS?

veneresplende

Rinkside
Congrats to them on beating their personal bests in the short, free, and total scores! It's a shame they'll most likely not make GPF, they certainly have a shot at bronze at NHK but that most likely won't be enough. They beat T/M's silver medal win last week by 7 points, but obviously here it was only enough for bronze.

I didn't think they'd be trying out the quad throw here! It was massive despite her pulling out of it too early. Practice reports said that they landed two beautiful ones in practice that morning.

Last edited:

firal

Record Breaker
I didn't know they were keeping both of their programs this season. Being their fan from last season, for purely selfish reasons I was hoping to see new programs, but I am glad they looked a lot more polished and ready to go head to head with the senior pairs. Will be cheering for them for sure!

ahkeekee

Medalist
Congrats to them on beating their personal bests in the short, free, and total scores! It's a shame they'll most likely not make GPF, they certainly have a shot at bronze at NHK but that most likely won't be enough. They beat T/M's silver medal win last week by 7 points, but obviously here it was only enough for bronze.

I didn't think they'd be trying out the quad throw here! It was massive despite her pulling out of it too early. Practice reports said that they landed two beautiful ones in practice that morning.
I wasn't expecting a quad throw too!!! I was like I saw a salcow take of thinking are they going for throw triple sal? But no!! They went for throw quad sal!! Hope they will manage to land it constantly!

s_parks

Record Breaker
Congrats on the silver and making the gpf again! Totally agree with the b.esp commentators- their pcs should've been higher. Anyways, I hope they skate amazing in Barcelona and land the 4sth!

ginsengtea

Rinkside
Second year in a a row of making GPF! At the beginning of the season I thought there was no way they'd make it again, but I guess a little bit of luck was on their side. Hoping they continue to make improvements, and considering their accomplishments already this season the CSA better send them off to Canada to get new programs in the summer!

solar

Medalist
Country
United-States
Wow! It's one thing to pick up a couple of words from manga, but quite another to actually speak it! Impressed.

As someone who has studied Japanese for many years, Yu's ability to speak Japanese is very impressive, especially if it comes from reading manga :laugh: I guess it also helps that Kanji characters in Japanese share similar meanings in Chinese. I'm glad they got an interview for NHK though!

ahkeekee

Medalist
I am also trying to learn Japanese from animes but I certainly can't speak as well as her!