Anyone want to start a GS Book club? | Golden Skate

Anyone want to start a GS Book club?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I love discussing books, so just throwing that idea out there!

I'm so glad we are honoring Olympia this way!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Okay, cool! So I'm thinking something monthly or even bi-monthly/quarterly given people's busy schedules. I'll propose a book and a general deadline and then we can get the discussions going. :)

Any preferences on frequency?

Also another quick-and-dirty discussion we could do (which we actually do in my book club), though it's not a book per se, is to discuss a TED talk. Those talks are based on books so that would be an easy way to get a good discussion going. Maybe we can do those when we aren't reading a book.

makaihime

Final Flight
Okay, cool! So I'm thinking something monthly or even bi-monthly/quarterly given people's busy schedules. I'll propose a book and a general deadline and then we can get the discussions going. :)

Any preferences on frequency?

Also another quick-and-dirty discussion we could do (which we actually do in my book club), though it's not a book per se, is to discuss a TED talk. Those talks are based on books so that would be an easy way to get a good discussion going. Maybe we can do those when we aren't reading a book.

Ohh I love TED talks! :dance:

samson

Medalist
I'm in too! I might be able to bi monthly but I could def do monthly I think. LOVE the idea of TED Talks also.

Alba

Record Breaker
I'm in, but it also depends from the books.
In anycase I would love to read your discussion even if I don't/can't have that book. :)

what is the TED talk?

samson

Medalist
I'm in, but it also depends from the books.
In anycase I would love to read your discussion even if I don't/can't have that book. :)

what is the TED talk?

Here's the TED Talk website!

http://www.ted.com/

TED is a series of conferences that happen periodically all over the world. They invite different influential and exciting minds for the talks - sometimes there's a theme or it's centered around a community - and then they take a lot of theses talks and conferences and post them on their website. They're awesome.

pitterpatter

On the Ice
Wonderful idea! I've been meaning to get back into reading, it's tough to slow things down and make time for it. Hopefully a bookclub will help ease me back into the habit :)

Alba

Record Breaker
Here's the TED Talk website!

http://www.ted.com/

TED is a series of conferences that happen periodically all over the world. They invite different influential and exciting minds for the talks - sometimes there's a theme or it's centered around a community - and then they take a lot of theses talks and conferences and post them on their website. They're awesome.

How would this work here?

samson

Medalist
I guess that's up for Mrs. P to decide, but my assumption us that she, or someone else assigned to do it, would select a TEDTalk video and a date to watch it by and it would be discussed on that date like we would a book.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
I am SO into this idea! I actually lead book groups professionally and have seen how much joy they can bring to people.

Mrs. P., are you thinking books related to skating as well as ANY book our members propose? I would be glad to help choose books as I have a lot of experience with what books work well for group discussion.

As far as skating books go, I know there is a new biography of John Curry (just published) that looks really interesting.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I am SO into this idea! I actually lead book groups professionally and have seen how much joy they can bring to people.

Mrs. P., are you thinking books related to skating as well as ANY book our members propose? I would be glad to help choose books as I have a lot of experience with what books work well for group discussion.

As far as skating books go, I know there is a new biography of John Curry (just published) that looks really interesting.

I'd be open to both skating and non-skating books. I think perhaps maybe we can rotate a different host each time to pick the book and open up the thread for the discussion. And actually if there are different hosts, doing it monthly could be more realistic as opposed to a single person always leading it.

I guess that's up for Mrs. P to decide, but my assumption us that she, or someone else assigned to do it, would select a TEDTalk video and a date to watch it by and it would be discussed on that date like we would a book.

Yes, that's what I was thinking! The longest TED talks are 30 minutes or so and some are short as 10 minutes, so it wouldn't really take a lot of people's time. And a lot of the talks come with additional reading that would spur additional discussion.

TMC

Record Breaker
I'm in!! I read so much and I never get to talk about the books!