Anyone want to start a GS Book club? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Anyone want to start a GS Book club?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I'm thinking about requesting a few days off of work for this adventure. Hey Doris...can you write me a letter excising my absence?

I will also need a letter of excuse for coordinating the predictions game. :)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Is this a Diversity Training course we are all attending, which includes a teamwork exercise involving participants from many countries?

:slink:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I would argue GS has contributed to the expansion of my horizons. :)

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I like this idea, maybe if we read a quarter of the book a week and discussed it at the end of each week? And then spend a fifth week discussing the book as a whole, and themes. This way people who can't be online as regularly have time to discuss too. I'm proposing such an awkward way of measuring the book each week (quarters), because from what I gather, this book doesn't have chapters, only entries of varying sizes, so trying to measure it according to that and still be done by the end of the month could be tricky. Correct me if I'm wrong/you have a better method, as this one is obviously quite messy.

This is a great plan. So, to nail down to specifics, we (1) read one-quarter of The Color Purple sometime during the week of Monday. Nov. 2. (2) We begin discussing those pages on what, Friday, Nov. 6? Or Saturday, Nov. 7? And (3) that discussion can continue all during the week of Nov. 9, when we're reading Section #2.... so everyone gets a chance to contribute their thoughts.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
That sounds like a good plan. Obviously late, but hey---need to go get a copy of The Color Purple now...

TMC

Record Breaker
That sounds like a good plan. Obviously late, but hey---need to go get a copy of The Color Purple now...

Oh dear - I'm late to the party, too!

I have huge project going on with a deadline on the 3rd...how long is a quarter of the book?

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh dear - I'm late to the party, too!

I have huge project going on with a deadline on the 3rd...how long is a quarter of the book?

The paperback (2003 edition) is 300 pages. So, one quarter of the book would be 75 pages.

Good luck with your project. :)

BTW, I used to be Larkin. As of today, Wednesday, I am skylark.

Last edited:

TMC

Record Breaker
The paperback (2003 edition) is 300 pages. So, one quarter of the book would be 75 pages.

Good luck with your project. :)

BTW, I used to be Larkin. As of today, Wednesday, I am skylark.

Thank you :)

Glad to hear the book is short - I'm a fast reader so 300 pages is not too much even just for one night. I read 450 pages of Barchester Towers just last night before bed :laugh2: #Brag

ETA I like your new name! :)

ETA Don't know where I got the idea that the book was about 1500 pages...maybe because the movie was pretty long?

Last edited:

LRK

Record Breaker

Glad to hear the book is short - I'm a fast reader so 300 pages is not too much even just for one night. I read 450 pages of Barchester Towers just last night before bed :laugh2: #Brag

ETA Don't know where I got the idea that the book was about 1500 pages...maybe because the movie was pretty long?

Well worth it, wasn't it? ;) "Barchester Towers" - along with "The Warden" & "The Last Chronicle of Barset" - is among my Absolute Favourite books ever. If you can, you should get hold of the '80s BBC series Barchester Chronicles (if you haven't already seen it, of course.) You'll enjoy it. :)

Last edited:

TMC

Record Breaker
Well worth it, wasn't it? ;) "Barchester Towers" - along with "The Warden" & "The Last Chronicle of Barset" - is among my Absolute Favourite books ever. If you can, you should get hold of the '80s BBC series (if you haven't already seen it, of course.) You'll enjoy it. :)

Ooh I have not! I will try my best to find it :)

I haven't read the other two, but I'm going to - I'm going through a Trollope phase right now :biggrin:

LRK

Record Breaker
Ooh I have not! I will try my best to find it :)

I haven't read the other two, but I'm going to - I'm going through a Trollope phase right now :biggrin:

You read "Barchester Towers" before "The Warden"? I'll confess that I didn't read all the Barsetshire books in order either - which meant that I had "The Small House at Allington" pretty well spoiled for me - but those two books are very closely connected. In fact, the BBC series is an adaptation of those two first books. Pity they didn't go on to do the others - but at least, at long last, we're getting Doctor Thorne.:)

ETA - Alan Rickman is Mr Slope. And he's just Awful - in a wonderful way.;)

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Yes, I just borrowed the e-book from my Library. I am ready to go. :)

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Thank you. Skylark feels more like me, somehow. And yes, it was a long movie, thank goodness Spielberg did it.

I got my copy of the book from the library today; hardback is even fewer pages, also there's space between many chapters. It seems I remember that it's one I liked to take some space between while reading, letting myself mull over things. That's just me, though. Either way, if you're a fast reader, you're not going to have an issue at all.

Although I do remember that at first I was slowed down by the syntax/dialect. In fact, maybe for half the book. By the time I finished the book and started another, I recall I had to get used to a more "mainstream" style of writing again. It seems that I'd begun to internalize the rhythm of the sentences of The Color Purple. Alice Walker has said that her characters came to her and spoke to her that way; she had to be very quiet in order to listen.

I hope no one feels this post is a spoiler. It isn't, to me, but let me know if it is to anyone else.

Last edited:

TMC

Record Breaker
P
Thank you. Skylark feels more like me, somehow. And yes, it was a long movie, thank goodness Spielberg did it.

I got my copy of the book from the library today; hardback is even fewer pages, also there's space between many chapters. It seems I remember that it's one I liked to take some space between while reading, letting myself mull over things. That's just me, though. Either way, if you're a fast reader, you're not going to have an issue at all.

Although I do remember that at first I was slowed down by the syntax/dialect. In fact, maybe for half the book. By the time I finished the book and started another, I recall I had to get used to a more "mainstream" style of writing again. It seems that I'd begun to internalize the rhythm of the sentences of The Color Purple. Alice Walker has said that her characters came to her and spoke to her that way; she had to be very quiet in order to listen.

I hope no one feels this post is a spoiler. It isn't, to me, but let me know if it is to anyone else.

No spoiler, I liked your post.

I couldn't mull over a chapter even if I wanted to...I'm way too anxious to learn what happens next! But this is why I read 99% of books twice. First time to know what happens, second time to concentrate on the 'message', if you will. So even though I'm a fast reader I may still spend more time per book because I read everything twice ;)

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I love discussing books, so just throwing that idea out there!

I'm so glad we are honoring Olympia this way!

I don't know how busy folks are, but I'm getting ready to read "Where the Crawdads Sing" by Delia Owens as it's received a lot of good reviews and seems like a good choice. Anyone interested? Has anyone read it?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I have read it. It was very Gene Stratton Porter-ish (like "Girl of the Limberlost" and its companion "Freckles"). I know a lot of people who liked it; I did not care for it that much. I will tell you why after you read it

I am always up for reading and talking about books of all sorts.