Fantasy Books | Golden Skate

Fantasy Books

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Anyone else here a fantasy fan, or interested in reading more of the genre?

It is my favourite genre. I thought I'd make this thread where we can discuss and recommend various fantasy books (and short stories too, I guess).

Meoima

Match Penalty
I am also a fan.
Currently I am fond of Reckless series by Conelia Funke

MalAssada

Medalist
I have a passion for the A Song of Ice and Fire series, even though the 4th book was boring as hell (Arya is my favourite, they better not kill her off!).

Poice

Final Flight
I'm a big fan of fantasy books but mostly written by Polish writers (A. Sapkowski, J. Piekara, J. Ćwiek, A. Ziemiański, M. L. Kossakowska and many others). I really like world created by Tolkien - he was a genius, so many details, various languages, races and history from the beginning of Middle-Earth. My nick is inspired by sindarin (Grey Elves used this language) :D

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Glad to see I'm not the only fantasy reader here.

As far as recommendations go, my personal go-to is always Patrick Rothfuss's The Name of the Wind (and its sequel, The Wise Man's Fear). It's one of the few books that combines great story with flowing, poetic prose.

I have a passion for the A Song of Ice and Fire series, even though the 4th book was boring as hell (Arya is my favourite, they better not kill her off!).
Finally, someone who calls it A Song of Ice and Fire. :yes:

LRK

Record Breaker
Fantasy is one of my favourite genres, and I've grown up reading it.

@Sandpiper - With my avowed love for dragons, I'm sure you're terribly shocked to hear this... ;)

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Fantasy is one of my favourite genres, and I've grown up reading it.

@Sandpiper - With my avowed love for dragons, I'm sure you're terribly shocked to hear this... ;)
:jaw: :drama:

(Your favourite dragon book?)

Wo|flax

Final Flight
Naomi Novik Temeraire Series (history fusion; it's dragons in Napoleon era; which made me think 'nah' at first but not reading it would have been a huge mistake; If you haven't read it give it a shot! :)

LRK

Record Breaker
@Sandpiper - Smaug is amazing, isn't he? (I'm so glad they left him alive in the second movie - I've just watched the Extended Edition - as I know I will be going: "Smaaauuuuug - nooooooo!" - yes, OT, I know.:)) So that would be "The Hobbit" by Tolkien. Also, the first three books in Ursula K LeGuin's Earthsea - "A Wizard of Earthsea", "The Tombs of Atuan" (though I think there were actually no dragons in that one?) and "The Farthest Shore" (- on the other books in the series my feelings are... mixed.) I like my dragons to be intelligent and wily. Oh, and for some comic relief - the series by Patricia C Wrede beginning with "Dealing with Dragons".

@WuChair - I've acquired the first book in the series. Especially since I've an inexplicable fondness for naval novels as well... (inexplicable because I'm not really interested in sailing or anything like that... ) But with my reading-list being so long, alas, it's going to take me some - ahem! - years to get to. Looking forward to it, though. :)

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Like bellflower, I'm into George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones) series. I've been waiting forEVER for the next one, but have been reading the Wild Card series (which he edited) to keep me sated until then. They are actually pretty good!

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
I don't usually gravitate to fantasy but absolutely love Anne McCaffrey's Harper Hall books and the Crystal Singer series. Wish there were more of them!

Last edited:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Naomi Novik Temeraire Series (history fusion; it's dragons in Napoleon era; which made me think 'nah' at first but not reading it would have been a huge mistake; If you haven't read it give it a shot! :)
I've heard lots of good things about the series, and I want to give it a go. But there's one thing that's holding me back. To anyone who has read the series: How long is it planned to be, and does it plan to have a definite ending? I'm a huge stickler for stories having one whole narrative arc, beginning and end; one standalone adventure after another isn't my thing. (Er, let's just say there's a reason I'm not hanging out in the mysteries thread. :slink:)

ramurphy2005

Unabashed Mainer
On the Ice
Country
United-States
I don't usually gravitate to fantasy but absolutely love Anne McCaffrey's Harper Hall books and the Crystal Singer series. Wish there were more of them!

I love Anne McCaffrey, too. Do you just prefer the books about the Harper Hall or have you read all the other Pern books, too?

I love fantasy novels. Aside from Anne McCaffrey, I've always liked David Eddings, Katherine Kurtz, and I'm sure that there are some others that I can't remember off the top of my head.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
I love Anne McCaffrey, too. Do you just prefer the books about the Harper Hall or have you read all the other Pern books, too?

I love fantasy novels. Aside from Anne McCaffrey, I've always liked David Eddings, Katherine Kurtz, and I'm sure that there are some others that I can't remember off the top of my head.

I started one of the other Pern books a long time ago but couldn't get excited about it. The musical backdrops of Harper Hall and Crystal Singer series grabbed me because I'm a musician (singer). Can you recommend any of the Pern books? I'm keeping an open mind! ;)

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I would like to recommend The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. It's her only book so far, and I look forward to the next!

ramurphy2005

Unabashed Mainer
On the Ice
Country
United-States
I started one of the other Pern books a long time ago but couldn't get excited about it. The musical backdrops of Harper Hall and Crystal Singer series grabbed me because I'm a musician (singer). Can you recommend any of the Pern books? I'm keeping an open mind! ;)

I'd definitely read any of the ones written by Anne before you get into any of the ones written by her son.

Since you've read the Harper Hall novels, I'd at least start with the 9th Pass books. Those start with Dragonflight, Dragonquest, and The White Dragon. The Harper Hall novels are concurrent with those three books. I really love some of the later novels in this period of Pern's history, but it's one of those instances where you have to read the earlier ones before you can get to those. :D

Moreta and Nerilka's Story are good, too. Those are two books that happen in a different era of Pern, but they cover the same event from two different perspectives.

Now that I think about it, you might like Dragonseye. Part of the plot of this one is laying the foundation for the Harper Hall that we come to know later in the series. It's been awhile since I've read this particular book, so I don't remember how much of the story line is devoted to it because there's other stuff that's happening, too.

Hopefully, that gives you some starting points. :) Believe me, if I really wanted to, I could make this post even longer. :D

makaihime

Final Flight
I would like to recommend The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. It's her only book so far, and I look forward to the next!

I actually bought that book a while ago and its still sitting on my bookself, unread. I havent had the time to read it yet but i must admit, i bought it based on its cover because it was absolutely gorgeous :p ill post my thoughts on it once i get around to reading it. :biggrin:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I actually bought that book a while ago and its still sitting on my bookself, unread. I havent had the time to read it yet but i must admit, i bought it based on its cover because it was absolutely gorgeous :p ill post my thoughts on it once i get around to reading it. :biggrin:
I would like to second gsk8's recommendation. It's a lushly written, well-constructed novel. :yes: More of a "literary/style over character" novel than I usually go for, but it's top notch for its type of story.