Mysteries! | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Mysteries!

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'm a huge fan of historical/medieval mysteries, they're in my comfort read lists; favourite writer is Paul Doherty.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Has anyone ever read Arturo Perez-Reverte, Spanish journalist and novelist whose fiction deals with art and antiquities in historical context usually with a mystery or mysteries attached? I have enjoyed:

EL CLUB DUMAS which deals with the murky often corrupt world of rare books and manuscripts.. the movie, Ninth Gate, was based on it..

THE FLANDERS PANEL about an art preservationist at a Paris museum who is asked to restore an unknown old master painting and uncovers a cryptic message hidden there

THE FENCING MASTER explores the world of weapons and swords in old and modern Spain

THE SEVILLE COMMUNION delves into Vatican secrets

THE NAUTICAL CHART shipwrecks and pirate treasure.. and

QUEEN OF THE SOUTH explores the violent dangerous world of a drug cartel whose leader is a mysterious diabolical resourceful woman. TV series here in America was based on this book.

His novels are fascinating, down to earth, earthy, gritty at times, all are compelling.

I have to read these!

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
^^ if you do let me know how you like them...
The first one is kinda spooky actually... you may look over your shoulder from time to time..:shocked:
Wikipedia notes author Perez-Reverte has a pessimistic view likely due to his experiences as a journalist in war zones and areas of conflict...

LRK

Record Breaker
Josephine Tey: "The Daughter of Time" (Re-read) - In this book it is the detective himself who has been laid by the heels. Alan Grant is languishing in hospital after having had the misfortune - and indignity - of falling through a trap door. As a diversion he decides to investigate a historical cold case - namely Richard III and the princes in the Tower.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
I'm currently reading "Murder on Bank St.: by Victoria Thompson. Turn of the century NYC midwife & police detective. This whole series is excellent.

LRK

Record Breaker
Tim Bowler: "Endgame" - Omnibus containing the two last books ("Cutting Loose" & "Risking All") in the YA Blade series (which began with "Playing Dead", or, if the 2-in-1 omnibus, "Enemies"). I felt that the series got stronger as it progressed, and this was a very satisfying conclusion.

clovertree71

Rinkside
In the Bleak Midwinter, by Julia Spencer Fleming.

The Flavia Albia books, Lindsey Davis's latest historic Rome mysteries are good.

statmam

On the Ice
I'm really late to this party, but in the category of "light reads" has anyone mentioned the figure skating mysteries of Alina Adams: Murder on Ice, On Thin Ice, Axel of Evil, Death Drop, and Skate Crime. I may need to reread one or two just to fill the skating void this year.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm really late to this party, but in the category of "light reads" has anyone mentioned the figure skating mysteries of Alina Adams: Murder on Ice, On Thin Ice, Axel of Evil, Death Drop, and Skate Crime. I may need to reread one or two just to fill the skating void this year.
I've never read them? Are they really good books?

statmam

On the Ice
I've never read them? Are they really good books?
Skating fans who like cozy mysteries will probably enjoy them as I did. They aren't profound, life-changing novels but are just right for a light diversion. The author worked as a figure skating researcher and producer for televised skating events. It was fun to guess "Which well-known coach is this character supposed to be?" IIRC, a figure skating message board even played a role in one of the books!

skatemore

Rinkside
I highly recommend Louise Penny's Inspector Gamache series (starting with Still Life). The books are set in Quebec with many having a very wintry feel to them. Gamache is a really rich and compelling character; the books also pull in some really interesting historical material although are set in present day.

statmam

On the Ice
I highly recommend Louise Penny's Inspector Gamache series (starting with Still Life). The books are set in Quebec with many having a very wintry feel to them. Gamache is a really rich and compelling character; the books also pull in some really interesting historical material although are set in present day.
I second the nomination. I have listened to these as audio books. The two narrators who have recorded the series both do a fine job. These are not cozies, but they do have cozy elements including an emphasis on food and friendship. But each book also has thriller elements and action scenes, plus a touch of humor. This is one series that I pre-order to get the next installment as soon as possible.

statmam

On the Ice
TSL just posted a new interview with Tamara Moskvina where she mentions that she is currently reading a crime novel by a Canadian author. From the description she gives ("crime, finance, psychology, family relations"), it sounds like it might be the latest from Louise Penny. To think, I might have something in common with Tamara Moskvina!

LRK

Record Breaker
Catriona McPherson: "After the Armistice Ball" - This is the first book in the Dandy Gilver series; cosy histoorical mystries set in 1920s Scotland