Prince Lestat | Golden Skate

Prince Lestat

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have been a loyal fan of Anne Rice for many years! I'm looking forward to this read. :dance:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
My, er, "relationship" with Anne Rice has been interesting. I got off the wrong foot with her in the first sentence of Interview with the Vampire, where she used two (maybe three?!) adverbs and I just sighed in frustration. But... I ended up liking the book anyway. The characters and mythos were fascinating, and her vampires walk a fine line between sympathetic and monstrous.

And I felt pretty much the same way about everything else she wrote: whatever issues I had with the prose, the storytelling captivated me. I'm hesitating about reading more of the Vampire Chronicles, because of the things I've heard (I've read the first four books so far)... but from the summary, I could just jump right into Prince Lestat without the other stuff?

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Good to know since it's been years since I read the last novel :) I used to actually own the chronicle companion...:biggrin:

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
Prince Lestat is FABULOUS! Her best novel in years. Yes, you can jump right into it without the other stuff, Sandpiper.

noskates

Record Breaker
Anne Rice is probably one of my top 3 favorite authors. I loved Interview and gobbled up every book after that until it bogged down (for me)with the ancient Egyptians. The Witch series was awesome! I met Anne Rice in San Francisco at an author's evening. At the time she was pretty overweight, wore a long velvet dress and was goth to the max. She was a fascinating speaker. She is well-read in all sorts of religions, philosophies, cults, history, etc. She said when she writes she has books spread on the floor all around her in a circle. I love her style o f writing - you can smell the smells and hear the sounds and put yourself smack dab in the middle of the Garden District in New Orleans.

My one major bone to pick with her was about the casting of the movie Interview With The Vampire. Tom Cruise was wretched as Lestat. While I was reading the books I always pictured Daniel Day-Lewis or Sting (if he acted) Definitely someone with that body type! The movie was totally ruined for me.

Think I'll go download Prince Lestat right now!

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Anne Rice is probably one of my top 3 favorite authors. I loved Interview and gobbled up every book after that until it bogged down (for me)with the ancient Egyptians. The Witch series was awesome! I met Anne Rice in San Francisco at an author's evening. At the time she was pretty overweight, wore a long velvet dress and was goth to the max. She was a fascinating speaker. She is well-read in all sorts of religions, philosophies, cults, history, etc. She said when she writes she has books spread on the floor all around her in a circle. I love her style o f writing - you can smell the smells and hear the sounds and put yourself smack dab in the middle of the Garden District in New Orleans.

My one major bone to pick with her was about the casting of the movie Interview With The Vampire. Tom Cruise was wretched as Lestat. While I was reading the books I always pictured Daniel Day-Lewis or Sting (if he acted) Definitely someone with that body type! The movie was totally ruined for me.

I also thought Brad Pitt was not a good "dark and brooding" Louis. For some reason I always sympathized with Louis.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My, er, "relationship" with Anne Rice has been interesting. I got off the wrong foot with her in the first sentence of Interview with the Vampire, where she used two (maybe three?!) adverbs and I just sighed in frustration. But... I ended up liking the book anyway. The characters and mythos were fascinating, and her vampires walk a fine line between sympathetic and monstrous.

And I felt pretty much the same way about everything else she wrote: whatever issues I had with the prose, the storytelling captivated me. I'm hesitating about reading more of the Vampire Chronicles, because of the things I've heard (I've read the first four books so far)... but from the summary, I could just jump right into Prince Lestat without the other stuff?

Prince Lestat is FABULOUS! Her best novel in years. Yes, you can jump right into it without the other stuff, Sandpiper.

So nearly five years later, I'm now closer to reading it. :biggrin: I'm finishing up some other books and hope to pick to start in May!