Historical Fiction | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Historical Fiction

LRK

Record Breaker
Laura Paquet: "The Incomparable Cassandra" - Enjoyable Regency, in which not a whole lot "happens", but rather the greatest hurdles the hero & heroine have to overcome are their misapprehensions and misconceptions about each other - and themselves. Although, of course, there's the incident with the fortune hunter...

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
If you are a fan of Regencies, don't overlook author Georgette Heyer. My favorite after Jane Austin.

Peerless comedies of manners :) She's one of my favourite authors, though her Regency is truly as artificial as any fantasy novel, it's a brilliant place to visit.

One of my other favourites is Paul Doherty - I love medieval mysteries/murders and his just push all my buttons.

LRK

Record Breaker
"A Regency Christmas IX" - A collection full of cosy cheer. Contains stories by Edith Layton, Barbara Metzger, Amanda McCabe, Sandra Heath & Carla Kelly.

clovertree71

Rinkside
The Second Duchess by Elizabeth Loupas, inspired by the poem "My Last Duchess" by Robert Browning. It's a historical murder-mystery-romance. The prose is so, so gorgeous. A beautiful book with a dark atmosphere.

I also enjoy historical romance, from authors like Courtney Milan and such.

chooey

On the Ice
Country
Indonesia
I'm currently reading Ruta Sepetys' The Fountain of Silence. Salt to the Sea is also in my wishlist.
I also enjoy historical romance like Lisa Kleypas' or Julia Quinn's.

LRK

Record Breaker
Joy Reed: "Mr Jeffries and the Jilt"

Traditional Regency. Cosy, light, pleasant.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Final Flight
Country
Canada
If you are a fan of Regencies, don't overlook author Georgette Heyer. My favorite after Jane Austin.
The first Heyer romance I ever read, and still my favourite, is Friday's Child. Instead of her other books' older sophisticated heroes with spirited mid-20s heroines, the couple in Friday's Child are both very young, as are the hero's group of best friends, as they all try to help the teenage heroine out of her dilemma. A lot of delightful humour in that one. (Although I like her other books as well.)

Reactions: LRK

LRK

Record Breaker
The first Heyer romance I ever read, and still my favourite, is Friday's Child. Instead of her other books' older sophisticated heroes with spirited mid-20s heroines, the couple in Friday's Child are both very young, as are the hero's group of best friends, as they all try to help the teenage heroine out of her dilemma. A lot of delightful humour in that one. (Although I like her other books as well.)

I think a great thing about Georgette Heyer is that she's written so many books, and they can have very different tones, and therefore everyone can have their own favourite - or enjoy different books at different times. Some are "just" good fun - some have a bit of a susprense element to them (which isn't odd considering she also wrote mysteries - I haven't read any of those yet, but I have started to acquire them. In fact, I have two on order "as we speak").

One of the advantages to me of the advent of the Internetz was actually in finding out how many people like Georgette Heyer - until then, it was something of a "guilty pleasure". But I've ceased feeliing guilty. :)