Outlander series | Golden Skate

Outlander series

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So I gave the first book a shot and found it too mushy to continue with the second book. While it might make some blush, I usually ended up roaring with laughter at the absurd submissiveness of the female heroine (shades of gray :laugh2:?). But I really am enjoying the TV series which portrays her in a stronger light.

When I have exhausted my current list, I might pick up the second book :)

heyang

Record Breaker
I've read a few of them years ago. I found the Claire and Jamie much more likeable than Anastasia and Christian.

If I recall, I enjoyed the 1st few, but then one was too slow paced and I didn't finish.

I was only able to see the 1st episode of the Starz series, but thought they did a great job with the adaptation.

MalAssada

Medalist
Reviving an old thread because this is the first time I see it.

I read the first two books in two days. I loved the plot line, but...
-The writer really could have written less rape scenes (ok, there was plenty of rape, we get it, now move on!) and, you know, given the couple a few more enemies.
-Jack, Jack, Jack. Enough of Jack! Again, he's a bad guy, we get it, now move on.
-They are married and they have sex. Fair enough. We just don't want to know when and how they have sex every single time they do it.

In the third book, it appears that Claire's husband (my Champagne clouded mind can't remember his name) has - wait, his name is Jamie - become a thief in the Caribeans. What the f*? He gets the opportunity to live a free life and throws it away.

Also, something that disappoints me is that no matter how hard they try, the events we know will always happen, which makes the endings predictable. I give credit to the author, though, to show how fate dodges Claire's "traps".

breathesgelatin

Final Flight
I just finished the first book. I was inspired to read by the Starz series. I only saw the first episode, which was available free online for a while (maybe still is?). I will probably buy the DVDs or files or something once the first season is over, if the show doesn't go to Netflix first. I really liked the first book. I will admit, that kind of thing (mushy/sexy historical romance) is kinda up my alley. The consensus among my friends seems to be that the show is stronger artistically than the books.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
So I gave the first book a shot and found it too mushy to continue with the second book. While it might make some blush, I usually ended up roaring with laughter at the absurd submissiveness of the female heroine (shades of gray :laugh2:?). But I really am enjoying the TV series which portrays her in a stronger light.

When I have exhausted my current list, I might pick up the second book :)

I'm reading the series now. The author certainly does like her pseudo-SM. And the dialogue is often just hilariously stilted--a problem that gets worse as the books continue. And she loves her improbable coincidences (she's trying to out-Dickens Dickens with that). But for popcorn reading, as I like to think of it, they're not bad.

LRK

Record Breaker
I'm reading the series now. The author certainly does like her pseudo-SM. And the dialogue is often just hilariously stilted--a problem that gets worse as the books continue. And she loves her improbable coincidences (she's trying to out-Dickens Dickens with that). But for popcorn reading, as I like to think of it, they're not bad.

But does she try to out-Thomas Hardy Thomas Hardy with it? ;)

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
But does she try to out-Thomas Hardy Thomas Hardy with it? ;)

Hmm I actually rather like Hardy. He's also a wonderful poet. And at least Tess wasn't interrupted every 7 pages with another sex scene or treacly "I weally weally wuv you, Sassenach" convos. ;)

LRK

Record Breaker
Hmm I actually rather like Hardy. He's also a wonderful poet. And at least Tess wasn't interrupted every 7 pages with another sex scene or treacly "I weally weally wuv you, Sassenach" convos. ;)

Not a "Tess" fan ("Tess" and "Jude" is where I draw the line at re-reading Hardy - once was quite enough!; I re-read "The Return of the Native" earlier this year, though - remember to forward any letter ASAP - or you might end up with two people dead;)) - but I agree that would scarcely have improved it. ;)

Note: Just to clarify - haven't read Diana Gabaldon. And Dickens is my favourite author. Just in the interests of full disclosure.:)

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So revisiting....

I've been really thrilled with the series on TV since it came out after my first post. I'm really happy with the way Claire is depicted.

Has anyone read the third or fourth book in this series?

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
So revisiting....

I've been really thrilled with the series on TV since it came out after my first post. I'm really happy with the way Claire is depicted.

Yes. It's another case where the movie/series is much better than the book. I've read the whole series. It's definitely worth reading; if nothing else, I was very curious about the inevitable What Happens Next????

I haven't read any of the Lord John books. He's a bit of a gay Mary Sue, isn't he? Then again, we don't have many gay Mary Sues in any kind of literature, so there is that. I'll try to get around to them one day.

I'll be heading down to Florida for a few months. I'll have to rewatch the series there. It certainly beats the usual TV fare there of what I call "Jesus Cooking Shows"! And weather reports. Floridians sure do love their weather reports.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I have been watching the tv-series of Outlander and liked them very much. The first season actually so much that I bought the book one. There could have been less raping and love-scenes....

We are getting the fifth season on tv at the end of this month and I´m really looking forward to it.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So revisiting....

I can't believe I just now saw your question. Yes, in fact the 4th book, Drums in Autumn, is one of my favorites because I'm a big fan of Roger, and he comes into his own as a powerful singer as could really be appreciated in the 18th century. The third book, Voyager, has one of the fan favorite scenes, for good reason, and is also great, but the last section gets pretty densely esoteric, IMHO.

Did you read the 3rd and 4th books yet, gsk8?

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not yet! WIll have to be sometime this summer :)

I hope you enjoy them when you get around to them. For me, the series is a very mixed bag, but I like Gabaldon's writing. I love her long lush sentences and nature descriptions best, and the scenes where everything slows down. I'm not one who reads for the "what comes next." But I do agree I really like the way Claire is portrayed in the TV series, though I watched very little of it. The violence scenes stay with me too long. Since you've seen the first season, I don't think I'm giving you spoilers.