What are your bad reading habits? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

What are your bad reading habits?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Yes. You have a number of choices in lighting (including none) and backgrounds with different Kindle models. If you prefer no lighting, the cheapest Kindle will do, although I never used my old Kindle with Overdrive for library borrowing. I believe the current version of the chesp model works with the library, but I would check prior to buying. My new ones have adjustable backlighting, which I use in bed so Mr. Ski is not kept up by the nightlight.

Format isn't a library issue. If the book is not available in Kindle format, I read it in the browser.

heyang

Record Breaker
Haha, I'm right there with you. I finally cracked opened Jeffery Eugenides' "The Marriage Plot" yesterday which I bought some two years ago.

So stupid question. So would a case for buying an actual kindle (as opposed to getting the app for your iPad) is that it doesn't have that blue backlight that tends to keep you up at night? I.e. is a kindle more bedtime friendly?

The advantage to an ereader is that there's less glare - thus, less eye strain. You can read your Kindle/e-reader out in bright sunlight, which you can't do on most tablets. The last 2 versions of the Kindle (Paperwhite, Voyager) have a backlighting option for when you want to read in less than ideal lighting situations. Prior versions required an external light to read in dim lighting (i.e. separate clip on or light built into case.) Since there's no color and no graphics, battery life is much longer than tablets, too.

When Hurricane Sandy hit, we didn't have power for several days. During the day, I read paperback books during daylight and at night I was able to read from my Kindle because I had bought the cover with the light. As I mentioned, the last 2 versions of Kindle and the last one of the Nook e-reader have built in backlighting. The grey scale on the lastest kindle is such that a photo of the e-reader and a paperback book are hard to differentiate side by side.

I'd love to get the latest Kindle, but there's nothing wrong with my present kindle!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Kindles last quite well. I have 4-they all still work. The oldest one is 5 years old.

E.A. Week

Spectator
I love my Kindle. It's a lifesaver for the daily commute, when I'm already lugging so much stuff in my backpack. Also, I like to read huge nonfiction books, which tend to weigh a ton, even in paperback, and the Kindle makes that so much easier.

I live in MA, and all state residents can get e-books via the Boston Public Library. Their e-collection is limited, and sometimes there's a wait, but it's definitely worth it. There were books I borrowed I was glad I didn't spend money on.

My worst reading habit is reading the end of the story in advance and spoiling myself, which I'm oddly less inclined to do when the book is on the Kindle. : )

GF2445

Record Breaker
I never ever finish my books. I've downsized my reading to short stories as i dont seem to have a long attention span :drama: