Rika Hongo | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Rika Hongo

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
Rika Hongo has surprised everyone with her new-found steadiness. She has improved immensely from last season. I thought her Skate Canada performace was a fluke but she did it even better at Rostelecom.

Here are some things I'd like to see her improve in.

Connection to the music. She is doing all her moves but I don't know if she gets the character. Especially for Carmen.
Spins. They could be faster and have better positions.
Rotate those Jumps!

She has shown that she can improve by leaps and bounds in a single season, so I'm expecting her to improve even more now.
Go Rika!

I would also like Rika to improve her posture which is a tad hunched (reminds me of Elena Radionova). Looking forward to seeing her grow as a skater both technically and artistically.

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker
Just saw the documentary video. Rika is not only a great skater, but a beautiful lady as well, and appears to be very nice. I saw her for the first time this season, and am already a fan. I loved both of her programs - hers were the only ones in Ladies I watched over and over again. :love:
I agree on the points Newbiespectator makes about her room for improvement, and hope she has a great season.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
I would also like Rika to improve her posture which is a tad hunched (reminds me of Elena Radionova). Looking forward to seeing her grow as a skater both technically and artistically.
It seems Akiko Suzuki has been giving her advice about her posture, and also to add some "snap" to some of her movements. And judging from the steady improvments she's made from Finlandia -> Skate Canada -> Rostelecom, I think it has really helped.

Her Carmen FS at Rostelecom in particular, has sharper and snappier movements/poses vs Finlandia - and the performance feels much more expressive, dramatic and passionate for it. She also uses more smiles and facial expressions now, and plays to the judges more.

Last edited:

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
TV cameras were waiting when Rika returned to Japan

I don't think think she was expecting any media attention there - she looked like "OMG there are cameras", from the way both she and Miyabi Oba hastily removed the masks that Japanese people commonly wear to avoid catching/spreading colds etc.

I thought it was funny :-D

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
TV cameras were waiting when Rika returned to Japan

I don't think think she was expecting any media attention there - she looked like "OMG there are cameras", from the way both she and Miyabi Oba hastily removed the masks that Japanese people commonly wear to avoid catching/spreading colds etc.

I thought it was funny :-D

That was pretty cute with the masks :) And you get to see her mom too! She looked so happy in her interview :biggrin:

thoakun

Final Flight
It seems Akiko Suzuki has been giving her advice about her posture, and also to add some "snap" to some of her movements. And judging from the steady improvments she's made from Finlandia -> Skate Canada -> Rostelecom, I think it has really helped.

Her Carmen FS at Rostelecom in particular, has sharper and snappier movements/poses vs Finlandia - and the performance feels much more expressive, dramatic and passionate for it. She also uses more smiles and facial expressions now, and plays to the judges more.

I didn't have much impression of Rika at Finlandia except that she was noticeably faster than Sam. I totally agree with you, Rika's movements have become much sharper and purposeful. So I guess the moral of Rika's rise is to never ever underestimate a person's capability of being a better version of herself, even at the level when the law of diminishing returns kicks in.

firal

Record Breaker
She has indeed improved very quickly; I saw her at Skate Canada and she surprised me with her confidence at Cup of Russia. I am super happy that I get to see the two new youngsters Miyahara Satoko and Hongo Rika live. Also bumped into them walking towards the rink to afternoon practice. (Wanted to say good luck but was too shy...no one was around! :biggrin:) Honestly when the GPS entries were first announced, I was not really not excited to go to Skate Canada, but it turned out to be a great time! I think Japanese figure skating fans would have no problem finding new hometown faves to cheer on!

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
Video on Rika and Japanese Figure Skating news - After Sochi translation of rosewood from FS Universe:

Rika Hongo is the third Japanese girl who won a event in her first GP circuit. The other two were Mao and Kanako. Rika won Jr. National titile in 2013. She is the third grader in Mizuho sr high school in Aichi-prefecture. Her BD is Sep 6th, 1996.

2:14-(little Rika on the ice) She was born in Sendai-city, Miyagi-prefecture. She had been a very promising skater since she was very little. She won in lots of local competitions in Sendai. Rika had to leave her hometown because her home rink was closed.

2:50-(Rika along with Nagakubo at the farewell party) Rika sobbing:"I'm determined to land 2A in Nagoya. I'll do my best so that I can show you my better skating when I'm back here." She was at the age of nine when she left Sendai to continue skating in Nagoya.

3:37-(at her room to stay in Nagoya) She stayed at the same apartment with her rink mates. They cooked their meal by themselves. No one at the age of nine doesn't miss her family. But she was very determined to stay in Nagoya. She did her best to land harder jumps. She trained hard aiming at showing good skate that reach people's hearts.

4:45-(congrats message from Akiko) Akiko: "Congrats for winning at CoR. Your jumps were dynamic as usual. Besides I found your artistry improved. I wish you more success."

yhmafan

Medalist
4:45-(congrats message from Akiko) Akiko: "Congrats for winning at CoR. Your jumps were dynamic as usual. Besides I found your artistry improved. I wish you more success."

That’s the point that I do enjoy her skating the most, and she has improved so fast in such a short period of time,as many said, which also amazed me. Way to go Rika :clap:

yhmafan

Medalist
I wouldn't be surprised if she's just under or right at his height :yes: I'm sure we'll have a better idea as we see her in the future with other skaters.

Yes, like Mikivier? and whoever she’s going out with,they would be one of the beautiful couples in the FS for sure ;)

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Rika-chan is first in line for the GPF, with Gracie Gold injured!

OMG what a year she's having for senior debut...!

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
Sad that Rika is in because of Gracie's WD, but I'm hoping she'll make the most of it & surprise us (and maybe even herself) with her performances there! :yes: Can anyone compare the tech content for the 6 GPF women? I would do it, but unfortunately I'm stuck on my tablet at present :p

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
Rika-chan is first in line for the GPF, with Gracie Gold injured!

OMG what a year she's having for senior debut...!

Sad for Gracie but happy for Rika and that Japan will have representation in the GPF ladies division. Go Rika!

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
Sad for Gracie but happy for Rika and that Japan will have representation in the GPF ladies division. Go Rika!

I just realized with your comment that this means Japan's streak of Ladies' representatives at the GPF will not be broken this year as originally thought. Last time was 2000 IIRC.

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
Sad that Rika is in because of Gracie's WD, but I'm hoping she'll make the most of it & surprise us (and maybe even herself) with her performances there! :yes: Can anyone compare the tech content for the 6 GPF women? I would do it, but unfortunately I'm stuck on my tablet at present :p

Alrighty-roo, did it myself :biggrin: This is not their planned but executed BV. Grand Prix results only...

SP
1. anna ......32.14 (SC)
2. elena .....31.84 (SA)
2. elena .....31.84 (TEB)
3. rika .......30.36 (SC)
3. yulia ......30.36 (TEB)
3. yulia ......30.36 (CoC)
4. eliza ......30.33 (SA)
5. eliza ......30.03 (CoC)
6. rika ........29.96 (CoR)
7. anna.......29.37 (CoR)
8. ashley ....28.99 (SC)
9. ashley ....26.69 (TEB)

FS
1. elena .....62.08 (SA)
2. elena .....61.48 (TEB)
3. anna ......59.77 (SC)
4. rika ........57.41 (SC)
5. rika ........56.19 (CoR)
6. yulia .......54.49 (CoC)
7. anna .......54.25 (CoR)
8. ashley .....54.05 (TEB)
9. eliza ........53.84 (CoC)
10. eliza ......52.29 (SA)
11. ashley ....52.69 (SC)
12. yulia .......50.74 (TEB)

TOTAL
1. elena ...93.92 (SA)
2. elena ...93.32 (TEB)
3. anna ....91.91 (SC)
4. rika ......87.77 (SC)
5. rika ......86.15 (CoR)
6. yulia .....84.85 (CoC)
7. eliza .....83.87 (CoC)
8. anna .....83.62 (CoR)
9. eliza ......82.62 (SA)
10. ashley ..81.68 (SC)
11. yulia .....81.10 (TEB)
12. ashley ...80.74 (TEB)

TOTALS (averaged together)
1. elena ....93.625
2. anna .....87.765
3. rika .......86.96
4. eliza ......83.245
5. yulia ......82.975
6. ashley ....81.21

eta: sorry this is not in a more appropriate GPF thread, but I was curious.... will post in the GPF Ladies thread once created :)

Last edited:

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
^Great job, thanks! So Rika can hold her own insofar as TES is concerned. Hoping she can skate to her potential in Barcelona.

yhmafan

Medalist
What a great opportunity for Rika to go to the GPF! (sorry for Gracie). I was surprised to hear that.
Hopefully she can do her best and also will have fun a lot along with Yuzuru Tatsuki and Mura in Barcelona!!

Last edited: