Rika Hongo | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Rika Hongo

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
I uploaded some photos I took of Rika at the Grand Prix Final --> HERE

She set yet another personal best for her short program (must be at least the 4th competition in a row?), and her technical score was right up there with the other competitors. She did great in the free skate too. What a great experience for her at the GPF. Just needs to work on that PCS score, and maybe bring back the more difficult triple-triple...

I'm looking forward to see how she does in Japan nationals next week. I hope she can enjoy the increased public and media attention, and not let it adversely affect her skating.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
^Thank you for the photos!

I'm curious what sort of boost (confidence-wise and PCS-wise) her participation in GPF could bring for nationals. Imo, what Rika really should work on is that lutz edge. It got e in the FS, which lost her a lot of points.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Just an interesting note:

National coverage of GPF from NBC and CBC this week included footage of all Ladies skaters except Rika Hongo. She was nowhere to be found, unfortunately.

yhmafan

Medalist
I uploaded some photos I took of Rika at the Grand Prix Final --> HERE

She set yet another personal best for her short program (must be at least the 4th competition in a row?), and her technical score was right up there with the other competitors. She did great in the free skate too. What a great experience for her at the GPF. Just needs to work on that PCS score, and maybe bring back the more difficult triple-triple...

I'm looking forward to see how she does in Japan nationals next week. I hope she can enjoy the increased public and media attention, and not let it adversely affect her skating.

Thank you for the photos :clap: you are better than pro.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Wow. Once again, Rika set a new personal best for her short program - actually, she totally smashed her old PB. That's quite something, considering how strict the tech panel has been at this nationals!

I hope she can go clean in her free skate too... she has every chance of finishing on the podium. I also hope she makes the 4CC and/or World's team. But no matter what, she should be proud of her first year in seniors. I have been impressed by her progress, and I am so happy for her success. It's been part luck (a 2nd grand prix placment, and then a place at the final)... but a lot of it has been her own hard work, improving her performances and scores with every competition, and delivering when it mattered.

Well done Rika! Now nail that free skate! :-D

Last edited:

altuixde

On the Ice
Congratulations to Rika for winning the silver! After Satoko's free skate, I knew that Satoko would win the gold, but still, great job Rika!

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Well done Rika! 2nd place at Nationals, another season's best, and a place on the team for the World Championships!
Although she seems quiet and shy, she must be mentally quite strong to perform so well under pressure.

The fairy tale continues...!

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Congratulations Rika! For me, you had the free skate of the night. Please nail your fiery Carmen at Worlds!

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
I enjoyed Rika's gala performance at nationals ("medallists on ice")

Not too sure about the theme (Michael Jackson is TOUGH to do well)... but I liked that she did something a bit different, and had some fun with it.

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker

Not too sure about the theme (Michael Jackson is TOUGH to do well)... but I liked that she did something a bit different, and had some fun with it.

I enjoyed it. I think a little more confidence would really sell it ;) When she singled her axel I immediately thought, 'Do what Hanyu did at that charity event!' (I think he completely popped his though), & she did! Immediately turned & completed the axel she had originally planned :biggrin: :dance:

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
When she singled her axel I immediately thought, 'Do what Hanyu did at that charity event!' (I think he completely popped his though), & she did! Immediately turned & completed the axel she had originally planned :biggrin: :dance:
I thought so too :-D But I haven't seen that exhibtion routine before, so I wasn't sure if that's what she'd done... or whether it was always intended to be a 2A-2A sequence?

Sandpiper

Record Breaker

The make-up scared me, but I like the rest. As you said, it's good she tries something different. And the jumps--basically competition caliber. :)

It'll be interesting to see how she does in 4CC.

firal

Record Breaker
Just finished watching her gala program. Good to see her having some fun! I think on a Japanese program they said off the ice she is very funny and is always goofy around; a "mood-maker".

And also I just read that her father is Caucasian (English); Japanese media were attributing her long arms and legs to that. So maybe in the near future we can hear both her and Miyahara Satoko speak English? (who supposedly speaks it fluently):biggrin:

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
Here's an almost two-month old video (GPF coverage), but at 1:35 there's a clip of Rika skating in quite the outfit so I thought it worth posting :laugh:

chasingpolaris

On the Ice
Here is a TV special for 4CC coverage. Rika's part is around 35:00. You can see her getting pointers from Akiko on her posture and adding in the small details. Akiko is very precise and somewhat strict, it seems, but it's all advantageous for Rika. I'm hoping we get to see this improvement at 4CC and later on.

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
^Great find! I'm still so excited that Akiko is mentoring her! I can't think of a better person to help her skating right now :agree:

Now there's less than 10 hours til the Ladies SP skate at 4CC. Go Rika :cheer: