Rika Hongo | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Rika Hongo

yhmafan

Medalist
Thank you for posting the links about Rika :) I wish she does well at 4CC.

Last edited:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Go Rika! She seems to get so little love, despite being the lady who kept Japan's GPF-streak alive.

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
One last :cheer: for Rika! So nervous for her :drama: She's first to last, hopefully that's a good placement for her :thumbsup:

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
She set a new personal best for he short program, yet again! But only just (61.10 -> 61.28)

I hope she can do well in the free skate too - the podium is within her reach.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I much prefer her free program over her short, but kudos to her for delivering another clean skate.

She has such an aura of confidence this season. :) Or... more like she doesn't even feel pressure.

Fer

On the Ice
I like her a lot! This is the first time I read this thread from the beginning. So is her father a foreigner? No wonder my friends and I think she looks like half-blood.
And based on those videos, although I do not understand all the Japanese, it seems that she was already a little star since she was very young. And she was also affected when the ice rink in Sendai was closed like Yuzuru. So I am guessing that there is only one ice rink at that time there so maybe they knew each other and practiced on the same ice when they were very young?

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
I like her a lot!

I am drawn to her too. I think more people will be too as she grows in terms of artistry and showing her personality out there on the ice. In any case, she has proven that she is a solid competitor. Hoping she makes it to the podium this 4CC.

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
I like her a lot! This is the first time I read this thread from the beginning. So is her father a foreigner? No wonder my friends and I think she looks like half-blood.
And based on those videos, although I do not understand all the Japanese, it seems that she was already a little star since she was very young. And she was also affected when the ice rink in Sendai was closed like Yuzuru. So I am guessing that there is only one ice rink at that time there so maybe they knew each other and practiced on the same ice when they were very young?

Someone previously said that on a JPN show they'd heard her father is English, so yes, she'd be mixed if that info is correct :) Her mom is definitely Japanese, as I saw her being interviewed during GP coverage.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Wow! I just watched the ladies' FS at 4CC, and Rika got the bronze medal!

Before the competition I thought she had a chance of getting on the podium. But she was not her quite best in the FS, and then after Polina Edmunds' put in a fantastic performance - I didn't think Rika could make it.

But ice is slippery... and Gracie Gold's bizarre mistakes (have to wonder if she was injured or ill) in the FS not only handed the gold medal to Polina, it handed Bronze to Rika too. Such a lucky girl this season! (But she partly makes her own luck)

Next up, Worlds. I can't imagine her getting anywhere near the podium there, but maybe she can aim for a new SB/PB ?

Last edited:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I think Akiko (?) was right. Rika is truly the strongest mentally of the Japanese ladies. Even Satoko made mistakes here at 4CC and at NHK.

I wonder if she'd consider taking out the 3F-3T for Worlds. I've been saying this for a while, and I sound like a broken record, but it seems like a thankless waste of energy right now. It's gotten < all season, while her 3T-3T almost never gets calls. But who knows... I've been saying the same thing about the 3Lz, and it somehow got ratified at 4CC. :shocked:

Parsifal3363

On the Ice
Yes, Rika, so natural and funny, and such a beautiful young figure skater as well. She has a unique way of reaching way back for her jumps and a languid grace in her transitions, perhaps too much so, but it all works for her. And she's ambitious. You could see that in the way she reacted to her scores, not content to trail the others. She was the one lady Johnny Weir spoke of with real enthusiasm, when the 4CC was broadcast in the United States yesterday. Well, I like her, too. How nice it is, then, to find such a lovely point of agreement.

Last edited:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Thank you for sharing. Is she saying something like... "The camera always follows me"? :scratch: (Help, Japanese speakers?)

I wonder if Rika could try a dark/dramatic program in the future. Her Carmen isn't the most seductive (though further improvements in posture will only help there!), but she does have intensity, drama, and a certain ability to... portray evil, for the lack of a better word?

Fer

On the Ice
I wonder if Rika could try a dark/dramatic program in the future. but she does have intensity, drama, and a certain ability to... portray evil, for the lack of a better word?

I think that's a great idea! I also found that she has that kind of beauty.

firal

Record Breaker
I am so glad there are fellow Rika fans here! Her goofiness off ice just makes me want to cheer for her even more. I agree that her posture needs work. I think maybe she gets even more tensed during competition that her shoulders just go up even more, since in the training video of her and Akiko her posture looked better. I am now looking forward to see what kind of program she'll bring next season, maybe Akiko can make her choreographer debut with Rika! ;)

mei 03

Rinkside
Rika has been my favorite this season. Best of luck to her in the upcoming Worlds.
I will be rooting for her :)