Team Korea Youngsters | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Team Korea Youngsters

s_parks

Record Breaker
^ We don't know....

Here are the Triglv Trophy videos for Da Bin:

SP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIpUcsVGewI
LP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rLmio41G8k

Is it just me or does it look like she grew? Her skating seems more Yuna-like than ever now. :love: Her SP was veeery good, I thought.

She difnitely grew. Her presentation still needs a lot of work, of course, but her flow over the ice improved from what i saw at jr worlds last season. I don't know if she'll go completely senior, but she should definitely be at 4cc and worlds, as haejin or any other age-eligible skater is unlikely to beat dabin aside from soyoun.

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
It will be broadcasted May 5 at 11:40am. May 5 is Children's Day in Korea - the MV is a tribute (?) for sick children, and is to the song "Give Me Wings" by Im Hyung Joo.

thanks! what an amazing project that they're participating in :) hope to see some lovely skating

Is Choi Da Bin moving up next season or do we not know yet? Her technical content is really good, she just needs to emote more (which I'm sure will come given time). :biggrin:

How old is An So Hyun again? Will she be eligible for juniors next season or is she still a novice? I really, really like this little lady and see so much promise in her. I'm wondering if she'll be old enough for Pyeongchang?

We don't know yet but I really want her to not just because for a better competition between SY and co. but for her to be pushed to work on her artistic side more too. Dig deep in your playlist, Dabin! Use korean music if you need to!

So Hyun is born in Dec. 28, 2001. She is eligible to move up to seniors just right before PC 2018. Another skater that I really like and is eligible to compete in the games is Ah-hyun Im. She had a rough season due to growing pains but she has the presentation skills that I wish all of the youngsters could emulate.

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
So Hyun is born in Dec. 28, 2001. She is eligible to move up to seniors just right before PC 2018. Another skater that I really like and is eligible to compete in the games is Ah-hyun Im. She had a rough season due to growing pains but she has the presentation skills that I wish all of the youngsters could emulate.

really like her presentation! Hope she works on that lutz though.

Also, I really like Na Hyun Kim: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSYDQpFEH1k Very difficult jump entries... :shocked:

Hailey Shin

Medalist
Who's old enough for the JGP next season if Choi's moving up?
If we just seek at 15-16 season national team, this is the list. (by ranking order)
1. So youn Park
2. Yerim Kim (born Jan. 2003)
3. So hyun An (born Dec. 2001)
4. Haejin Kim
5. Eun soo Lim (born Jan. 2003)
6. Dabin Choi (born Jan. 2000)
7. Young You (born 2004)
8. Eun su Yoon (born late 2000)
-----------------------------------------------
back up members
9. Sena Kim (born 1999)
10. Song joo Chea (born 1998)
11. Kyueun Kim (born 1999)
12. Na hyun Kim (born Jan. 2000)
13. Hee soo Cho (born 1999 or 2000)
14. Ji hoon Do (born late 2003)
15. Minjee Choi (born 2001)
16. Hyun soo Lee (born Jul. 2002)
17. Se hee Jeon (born early 2002)

So, So hyun An and Eun su Yoon in national team are eligible, and Sena Kim, Song joo Chea, Kyueun Kim, Na hyun Kim, Hee soo Cho, Minjee Choi, Se hee Jeon are also eligible in back up team.
In here, Kyueun Kim, Na hyun Kim competed at JGP 2013-14 and 2014-15 season,
and Na hyun Kim and Eun su Yoon competed at Jr world at 2013-14 season and 14-15 season each.

There will be 15-16 JGP qualifying events at early August. (maybe Taereung rink in Seoul)
We`ll see who will take tickets. There are 7 tickets, so maybe 4 lucky girls will get the spots... just like last season.

ADDS_Youtube links and some explanations
3. So hyun An; She also in 2018 PC Olympic teams. She can do 3 kinds of 3-3 combinations, and now she concentrate on 3Lz-3T. She won gold medal two times at Triglav Trophy in Ad.Novice girls category by over 100 points and 120 points each. She finished 4th at 14-15 Asian Trophy, also by over 120 points. She is a bronze medalist of 14-15 senior national, and champion of 13-14 junior national.
8. Eun su Yoon; She competed at 14-15 junior worlds with DB Choi. She did end 30th place there. She won Silver medal at 14-15 Lombardia Trophy in junior category, won bronze medal at 14-15 national ranking competition in senior category, and finished 8th at 14-15 senior national.
9. Sena Kim; She finished 7th place at 14-15 senior national. Her strength is good consistency.
10. Song joo Chea; She competed at 14-15 4CC in Seoul, and she earn near 140 points there. Recently, she success to do 3T-3T. She finished 12th place at 14-15 Lombardia Trophy in senior category, and finished 13th place at 14-15 senior national.
11. Kyueun Kim; She has very good presentation skills. She competed twice in JGP at 13-14 season and 14-15 season. She finished 10th place at 14-15 senior national.
12. Na hyun Kim; She competed 4 times in JGP at 13-14 season and 14-15 season. She also competed at 13-14 junior worlds and finished 10th place there. She can do 3Lo-3Lo. She finished 17th place at 14-15 senior national.
13. Hee soo Cho; Her strength is also good consistency. She finished 11th place at 14-15 senior national.
15. Minjee Choi; She has clean style on presentation and jumps. She finished 12th place at 14-15 senior national.
17. Se hee Jeon; She has 3T-3T and 3F-3T. She also has difficult jump combinations like 2A-3T-2T. She finished 16th place at 14-15 senior national.

ADDS_Others who have possibility to join 15-16 JGP team
18. Yeri Kim (born 2001) She was in injury this season. Btw she won silver medal at 2014-15 Asian trophy just after Yuna Aoki from Japan in Ad.Novice girls category by over 125 points. After that, she also won silver medal at 2014-15 Merano cup, but she had several mistakes there. She finished 18th place at 14-15 senior national.
28. Hanul Kim (born April 2002) She also had hard time this season. She did her first 3-3 at 11 yrs old. She finished 22th place at 14-15 senior national.
21. Go eun Park (born early 2002) She can't do difficult jumps like 3Lz or 3F yet, but she have great musical ability. She finished 20th place at 14-15 senior national.
45. Kyoung Yeon Shim (born 2001) She recently succeed to land all triples. But her weakness is bad consistency. Btw she earn siver medal at 2014-15 Lombardia trophy in Ad.Novice girls category. She finished 31th place at 14-15 junior national.

Last edited:

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
Hailey, you're a gem :rock:

thanks for compiling the info!

My guessings on whom those tickets may go to if Dabin does move to SR
1. An So-hyun -> her better results plus 3-3 combo
2. Chea Song-joo -> 3T-3T plus she's gaining some confidence after 4CC
3. Kim Na-hyun -> 3Lo-3Lo
4. Jeon Se-hee -> also working on 3-3

basically a combo of the newbies and the..oldies (k I know they're not that old lol) but all has done some work with 3-3 combos buuuuttt ugh I can't forget that there's Ah-hyun too....:(

Oh well, the junior team hasn't been this messy anyway. You got some skaters that are on puberty watch, some not even on it, and some are on track recovering. It's for the better, I guess

Last edited:

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
I found many talent younger Korean skaters have terrible skating skills compared with some talent younger skaters in other countries.

The sad thing is that the judges are also "playing along" by giving them the PCS they don't really deserve at the moment.

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
I found many talent younger Korean skaters have terrible skating skills compared with some talent younger skaters in other countries.

I don't necessarily agree. I think the SS of most young skaters are pretty bad, and I wouldn't say some specific countries have younger skaters with better SS than in others. I think it depends on the skaters. In general I guess the younger skaters in the US tend to have better SS while having bad jump technique and levels...

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
SS can be a mystery to people. Even coaches. A lot of it is use of balance and continuous flow throughout an entire program. It's more than just step sequences but also should be on display during all of the little transitions too. Some people think its all about deep edges when in fact that is only one of many criteria such as power (speed and execution) and multidirectional skating which also ties into ice coverage.

FWIW: Hae Jin Kim actually got decent SS scores (avg. 6.0) at 4CC if you consider her WR and how early she skated. I really enjoyed her programs and found her presentation very enjoyable. Hopefully she can up her technical scores a bit and in turn improve her overall score.

Last edited:

s_parks

Record Breaker
The biggest problem is a lack of ice time. There aren't enough or high quality facilities where figure skaters can get a decent amount of time to practice, in addition to more capable coaches. Jun Hwan Cha seems to be getting a lot of training overseas, however, which is good to see(imo, he's by far the most promising of the korean youngsters).

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
The biggest problem is a lack of ice time. There aren't enough or high quality facilities where figure skaters can get a decent amount of time to practice, in addition to more capable coaches.

aaand we've come full circle again as to why the Korean figure skating scene is behind in progress....well after the Yuna-wall of expectations

as a way of distracting y'all at the moment, here's a young skater that been making me wish a lot to have a good support of coaches and whatnot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWsX_sttQpU
omg can we bring her to Kori or something :laugh:

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
aaand we've come full circle again as to why the Korean figure skating scene is behind in progress....well after the Yuna-wall of expectations

as a way of distracting y'all at the moment, here's a young skater that been making me wish a lot to have a good support of coaches and whatnot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWsX_sttQpU
omg can we bring her to Kori or something :laugh:

Wow, she is lovely! I think this is a better video and angle, though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvpdWDUXjJA You can see her expressions and SS better here, and her jumps look higher.

MJfan

Rinkside
Hello! I'm kinda new here.. I just have a question.. Where is Kwak Min Jeong now? I just saw a video of her at the Olympics

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
Hello! I'm kinda new here.. I just have a question.. Where is Kwak Min Jeong now? I just saw a video of her at the Olympics

I don't really know actually. She hasn't competed a lot in the past few years. She did, however, competed in Skate Korea last year to contend for Universiade. I don't think she did well enough for it though.

Found her SP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhGt9YwoKZg

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Of course, SS sometimes depends on the skaters. But, IMO coach play an important role on SS.
In fact, some talent younger skaters in USA, Japan such as Wakaba Higuchi, Marin Honda, Karen Chen both have great ability on jumping and skating skills.
But these Korean younger skaters are definitely lack of great SS...it's so pity...
While So Youn Park was child, she also had potential skating skills, but now she moves slowly on step sequence especially for SP this year.

However, I still expect some Korean younger skaters:laugh:

actually according to a fan who watched SoYoun live both at Sochi OG and 15 Worlds. reported that So Youn's skating skills has much improvement according to her live experience. her speed is slow in step sequence in Sochi. but her speed is much improved in 15worlds.
Soyoun's step sequence (both programs) this year is considerably more difficult than last year.
specifically for SP, I think her best outing (in terms of step sequence) is SA and Korean nationals.
as for speed, I have watched SoYoun live among many other skaters, her over-all speed is not slow.
in terms of precision of ice tracing in step sequence, she is not great but okay.
her step sequence has large amplitude upper body movement as well as great match to the music and whole body skating.

I would consider she is not as good as Wakababy or Karen. but She is improving.

Hailey Shin

Medalist
There`s a news!
Maybe we can see new Korean pair team next season.
Yeri Kim/Alex Kangchan Kam is them.
Now they`re training with Alexa Scimeca and Chris Knierem at Air force Academy Cadet Ice Arena in Colorado Springs, according to their tweets. https://twitter.com/Scimeca_Knierim/status/591627868620230656
Tim Koleto also checked it. https://twitter.com/SylviaUnseen/status/592729494747783169
Yeri born in 2001 and Alex`s birthday is May 1995, so they can compete as junior at only 15-16 season.
I explained about Yeri in detail before in this thread, so I`ll link last season(13-14) Alex`s national competition youtube video here.
https://youtu.be/2e48M3rvaR0

His brother Ricky Kam is doing ice dance with Hojung Lee and has competed in 14-15 junior world representing S.Korea.

Last edited:

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
There`s a news!
Now they`re training with Alexa Scimeca and Chris Knierem at Air force Academy Cadet Ice Arena in Colorado Springs, according to their tweets. https://twitter.com/Scimeca_Knierim/status/591627868620230656
Tim Koleto also checked it. https://twitter.com/SylviaUnseen/status/592729494747783169
Yeri born in 2001 and Alex`s birthday is May 1995, so they can compete as junior at only 15-16 season.
I explained about Yeri in detail before in this thread, so I`ll link last season(13-14) Alex`s national competition youtube video here.
https://youtu.be/2e48M3rvaR0

His brother Ricky Kam is doing ice dance with Hojung Lee and has competed in 14-15 junior world representing S.Korea.

thanks, thats great news! i am glad Korea investing on other disciplines as well (i wish they also do that for training facilities), any news on hwi choi and her partner? i was really impressed with her last year

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
There`s a news!
Now they`re training with Alexa Scimeca and Chris Knierem at Air force Academy Cadet Ice Arena in Colorado Springs, according to their tweets.

Interesting news! Quite an odd match-up for me though :shocked: I feel kinda sad actually since Yeri was one of the skaters I was rooting for and she had a major slump in her progression. Nonetheless, wishing them the best

should I expect them to do a 3T-3T combo then? :laugh: if she gets her technical groove back to where it was this year though, then can I? :biggrin: besides I like that combo of hers

Last edited: