Ladies after 5 GP events | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Ladies after 5 GP events

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I don't think the two American ladies pose much of a threat to the Russians. The GPF is basically four Russians competing against each other and two Americans competing against each other for 5th place.

I would not count the US ladies out of a podium finish at all. IMO Gracie is one of the front runners for Gold

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
Gracie can win IF she hold it together...

You can say same thing about all the finalists IMO. But you know, if pigs had wings they could fly. ;)
It'll be such an interesting final! ANY podium possible, any 3 ladies could be in top 3.

Last edited:

peg

Medalist
I think the podium is most likely to consist of Elena, Liza, and Julia. yes, Julia had a disaster skate in China, but we know that she had a late start preparing for her season, and she simply looked very unprepared. There was a very noticeable improvement 2 weeks later at TEB, and I expect she will improve again by GPF.

That said, the others could still sneak onto the podium with a strong skate especially if the first three make errors (though in Asheley's case due to lower tech content, she would need a fair amount of help to medal).

Figure 8's

On the Ice
Don't count Gracie out for gold. She improves every time she skates and looked beautiful in winning her gold even with a fall and some errors. She is getting it together at the right time.

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think any one of the six girls could win and it should be an honor to lose to or to beat any of them. The field today is much more even than it has been in a while and the uncertainty is making things very exciting. I can't think of any one of them who doesn't posses the skill and talent to pull off a podium finish. Good luck to all and let's keep those nerves in check :)

adelia

Record Breaker
GPF will be a Russian 1-2. Gracie has an outside chance of getting third if she skates clean and 2 of the Russian girls don't. But I doubt that more than half the Russians will mess up in any significant manner.

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
I'm happy for Gracie. I don't think she has any chances to be on the podium at the GPF, but it's nice to see her skating like at NHK.:)

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
I'd love to see a podium of Radio, Tuk, & Gold.

PyeongChang2018

On the Ice
It's a little upsetting that this competition is going to be more competitive than Worlds. Of course, Adelina could shake things up, but it's depressing that only three Russian girls will be allowed to compete at Worlds while four can compete here.

NaVi

Medalist
TBH, I think Gracie Gold has about the same chance of winning gold as Wagner does of getting bronze or better... and I put Gracie's chance of getting bronze or better at 50% and gold at 12.5%.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If the Russians skate well, it will be Radio for gold, with Tuk and Lip in some order for silver and bronze. Ashley's and Gracie's chances depend entirely on one or more of the Russians making mistakes. Theoretically, a clean Gracie might challenge a clean Lip or Tuk, but I don't see Gracie doing two programs with no mistakes. But I would be happy if she would surprise me!

Tutto

Record Breaker
Sorry but just spotted this thread and repeat my post from the State of American ladies here,
I feel that Gracie if she skates clean will be on the GPF podium no matter how good Russians will be, it was obvious at NHK that judges were in no hurry to give gold medal to Alena which would have meant that Russian ladies would have 5 out of 6 GP golds. But can she skate clean in both SP & LP? I agree with British Eurosport commentators, Gracie has that star quality, in fact, she reminds me of Katarina Witt - a combination of atheletism, power and striking beauty - unbeatable if only she could have a mental toughness of Katarina too!

tikse

Rinkside
There is a fitness factor that ultimately may have a major effect in overall placement. Gracie lost weight visibly in a span of time between SA and NHK and such relatively quick loss of weight usually has adverse effect on stamina. Therefore it is not very likely she will deliver a clean LP in the GPF. Liza is yet to skate a clean LP this season either and I think it's for the same reason - she's not fit enough to skate planned content. Moreover it's not known whether she can carry her good form into the GPF. I remember in her first senior season she won her two GP events, had unremarkable GPF and then flopped in nationals. One could hope the situation will be different this time. Wagner is more or less fit to skate her LP relatively clean but her content is nothing to write home about plus striking poses instead of adding more transitions requires less effort. The fittest girl is Lena and she's shown she can withstand pressure by skating almost perfect at SA, when the pressure on her was the highest. So the probability of her skating two clean programs is high, and when she skates two clean programs no one can beat her. Anna has shown she can skate two clean progs also but components she usually receives may deny her the podium place if other girls skate without major problems. Yulia does not seem to be able to skate a clean LP yet, so I think the highest place she'll get is silver.

Country
Russia
Bad news.
Elena Radionova may WD from GPF because of illness (flu or cold).

I emphasise - only may.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Bad news.
Elena Radionova may WD from GPF because of illness (flu or cold).

I emphasise - only may.
o_O

Even if she competes - if she has cold/flu, she might still be recovering from it by next week, and it might affect her training/practice/performance :-/