Grand Prix Final predictions | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Grand Prix Final predictions

Ayeshoo

On the Ice
I'm curious--why conclude that if Kovtun skates clean, he automatically gets the gold? Would the judges take a clean Kovtun over a clean Machida or Javi (who've both been cleaner than Kovtun thus far)? :unsure:

I wouldn't be surprised if Kovtun won at this rate, but I think that depends on how the others skate, not how he skates.

Hehe, sorry, when I thought of that, I imagined Kovtun will be skating clean and the others not clean but nicely executed. =P I do agree that of course if the other guys skate clean as well, that will be a different outcome. :eek::

Redstone

Rinkside
I agree with you, I don't think clean Kovtun will beat clean Machida or Javi. However, given the way the men's GP has panned out, me predicting that it's gonna end up a semi-splatfest and placing an unlikely winner like Mura or Voronov will probably be better than any of my predictions so far :laugh:

This. With all the results this season, we basically have 5 men in the GPF (Except fut Yuzuru, IMO) who can do really well or bomb. I think that the podium will be Javi-Mura/Murakami-Kovtun. But, yeah, I totally won't be surprised if Kovtun wins and/or Voronov or Hanyu medals.
This also goes for all the duscipline, except fpr pairs. There it's mostly certain that the top2 will be SK/DR with both teams having a chance of getting the gold.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Hehe, sorry, when I thought of that, I imagined Kovtun will be skating clean and the others not clean but nicely executed. =P I do agree that of course if the other guys skate clean as well, that will be a different outcome. :eek::
That's... actually too optimistic, imo. Kovtun skating clean (which I can't remember ever happening) while all the others skate well? More likely, with the way this season is going, Kovtun will be messy but everyone else will have a meltdown. :slink:

Ayeshoo

On the Ice
That's... actually too optimistic, imo. Kovtun skating clean (which I can't remember ever happening) while all the others skate well? More likely, with the way this season is going, Kovtun will be messy but everyone else will have a meltdown. :slink:

Hmm, you're right... To be honest, that's partly why I am more excited watching the ladies than the men (I mean, I do enjoy both but more with the girls just because they fall less frequently and stuff(?)). I get that the guys want to do quads, but the chances of falling or under rotation is also high. And it's a little to painful to watch as their program falls apart.

HanDomi

Record Breaker
I'm curious--why conclude that if Kovtun skates clean, he automatically gets the gold? Would the judges take a clean Kovtun over a clean Machida or Javi (who've both been cleaner than Kovtun thus far)? :unsure:

I wouldn't be surprised if Kovtun won at this rate, but I think that depends on how the others skate, not how he skates.

On clean skates Kovtun can't win. I can imagine TEB event style. "Maxim we like you very much, please take the win" :biggrin:

It's too hard to predict so propably I will go with something crazy :drama:

karlowens2

On the Ice
Ladies

1. & 2. - ISU really pushing these little girl performers. Rad? Tuk? Pog? Take your pick they're all the same
3. - Rooting for Gracie. She is world champion material. But, she has to learn conquering her nerves. ISU will not put Ashley ahead of Lip, even if Lip falls down a couple times

Mens
1. Javi - will be inspired and perform his best
2. Mach - consistent this year
3. Kov - those tough Russian competitors

Pairs
Don't follow it

Dance
1. P & C some welcome creativity
2. W & P -
3. S & S - getting better and more powerful with each performance

C & B - Predictable, consisent but I'm not feeling it.

Last edited:

Violetti

On the Ice
Ladies:

1. Elena Radionova
2. Elizaveta Tuktamysheva
3. Gracie Gold
4. Julia Lipnitskaia
5. Ashley Wagner
6. Anna Pogorilaya

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
1. & 2. - ISU really pushing these little girl performers. Rad? Tuk? Pog? Take your pick they're all the same
3. - Rooting for Gracie. She is world champion material. But, she has to learn conquering her nerves. ISU will not put Ashley ahead of Lip, even if Lip falls down a couple times

What? :shocked: Liza is 17, about to turn 18 in the middle of December. She's very far from being a little girl, and especially not a "little girl performer".
Gracie is 1,5 years older than her, but hasn't even been around as long and doesn't have as much experience. And at least in my opinion, she's not half the performer Liza is either.

Edit: If I already post here, might as well add something on topic :slink:

Ladies:
Looks like it's Elenas to win, and so far she has been really good with pressure. I hope Liza had enough rest to really kick butt here again. Third place is really hard though. Julia, Anna and Gracie look like wildcards to me, and Ash hasn't really been herself so far (IMO). I guess I'd expect one of Julia, Anna and Gracie to deliver and get bronze. Right now...

1. Radionova
2. Tuktamysheva
3. Pogorilaya
4. Wagner
5. Gold
6. Lipnitskaya

Men:
Similar to the Men: two frontrunners, 3 wildcards and one not being himself at all.

1. Fernandez (that's actually a hoprediction. I'd bet on Machida I guess)
2. Machida
3. Kovtun
4. Voronov
5. Hanyu
6. Mura

I don't actually like these predictions I did there. But I really, really have no clue...:drama:

Last edited:

gnom

On the Ice
Here is my pick

Men:

1. Machida
2. Fernandez
3. Kovtun
4. Hanyu
5. Voronov
6. Mura

Ladies
1. Tuktamysheva
2. Radionova
3. Lipnitskaia
4. Gold
5. Pogorilaya
6. Wagner

Pairs
1. Stolbova/Klimov
2. Duhamel/Radford
3. Sui/Han
4. Kavaguti/Smirnov
5. Peng/Zhang
6. Yu/Yin

Dance
1. Weaver/Poje
2. Chock/Bates
3. Papadakis/Cizeron
4. Shibutani/Shibutani
5. Gillers/Poirier
6. Ilinyk/Zhiganshin

yangjie

On the Ice
mens

1 fernandes
2 machida
3 hanyu
4 mura
5 kovton
6 voronov

ladies
1 tuktamisheva
2 radionova
3 gold
4 pogoliraya
5 wagner
6 lipnitskaya

pairs
1 STOLBOVA / KLIMOV
2 DUHAMEL / RADFORD
3 KAVAGUTI / SMIRNOV
4 SUI / HAN
5 PENG /ZHANG
6 yu/jin

ice dance
1 Chock/Bates
2 Weaver/Poje
3 Weaver/Poje
4 Ilinyk/Zhiganshin
5 Shibutani/Shibutani
6 Gillers/Poirier

HanDomi

Record Breaker
Is there really nobody predicting that Hanyu can win gold....? Just curious...
We don't know in what shape he will be, but I wouldn't be surprised if he will hold things together at GPF as last year to win there. I don't know. It depends what is his real current physical and mental state and if he can improve that in 1,5 weeks time

He obviously lacks training right now. We will see if 1 week time will be enough to get back to form. Orser says he will be ready on time, but is this true or just hope ? :drama:

Last edited:

bramweld

Record Breaker
mens

1 fernandes
2 machida
3 hanyu
4 mura
5 kovton
6 voronov

ladies
1 tuktamisheva
2 radionova
3 gold
4 pogoliraya
5 wagner
6 lipnitskaya

pairs
1 STOLBOVA / KLIMOV
2 DUHAMEL / RADFORD
3 KAVAGUTI / SMIRNOV
4 SUI / HAN
5 PENG /ZHANG
6 yu/jin

ice dance
1 Chock/Bates
2 Weaver/Poje
3 Weaver/Poje
4 Ilinyk/Zhiganshin
5 Shibutani/Shibutani
6 Gillers/Poirier

Where is Papadakis/Cizeron?

desertskates

Medalist
Since this is discussion, I'll just do my gut feeling predictions for the ladies.
1. Radionova -- she'll just kill this thing
2. Tuktamysheva -- solid all year
3. Pogorilaya -- she's got the tricks
4. Gold -- judges seem to love giving this girl really high scores
5. Lipnitskaia -- just having a rough go of it now
6. Wagner -- she won't bomb, but doesn't have the tech content

Gia_Sesshoumaru

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Ack, this is so crazy. I don't even know.

Men
1. Yuzuru Hanyu - I know that he might not be in top shape, but I'm such a huge fan, I'm hoping he can make a comeback. *crosses fingers*
2. Tatsuki Machida
3. Javier Fernandez
4. Sergei Voronov
5. Takahito Mura
6. Maxim Kovtun - the 2nd lowest score of the bunch (only to Hanyu and we know what he's capable of), if the other men do what they're capable of, I don't see Kovtun doing much without their help.

Ladies
1. Elena Radionova
2. Elizaveta Tuktamisheva
3. Julia Lipnitskaia
4. Gracie Gold
5. Anna Pogorilaya
6. Ashley Wagner - can't really compete here, sorry

Pairs
1. Ksenia Stolbova/Fedor Klimov
2. Meagan Duhamel/Eric Radford
3. Yuko Kavaguti and Alexander Smirnov
4. Peng Cheng/Zhang Hao
5. Sui Wenjing/Han Cong
6. Yu Xiaoyu/Jin Yang

Ice Dance
1. Madison Chock/Evan Bates
2. Kaitlyn Weaver/Andrew Poje
3. Maia & Alex Shibutanti
4. Gabriella Papadakis/Guillaume Cizeron
5. Piper Gilles/Paul Poirier
6. Elena Elinykh/Ruslan Zhiganshin

b-man

Final Flight
Will just predict ladies:

1. Rad: Been skating superbly, consistent, unlimited energy, has momentum.
2. Tuk: Also has been superb, saw live at SA, her sp a real joy to watch, good programs, but lost head to head against Rad.
3. Gold: Great jumps, few flaws. Improved at NHK. Skating well, but not well enough to beat top two.
4. Pogo: Had rough program at CoR, some thought should be easy win, judges at least did not hold her up to much. That performance won't medal in Spain.
5. Lip: Not the Lip of last year, rough programs, needs big improvement to challenge for podium. overscored by judges so far.
6. Wagner: Still has great performance/interpetation, but no solid 3-3, two foots and UR's, few transitions in FS, somewhat overscored considering many flaws.

Alex D

Record Breaker
I want them all to do well,

but I would love to see Kovtun & Gracie win. Even if unrealistic these two really deserve it, they got so much punishment over the last year.

Becki

Medalist
1. Yuzuru Hanyu (always my default position for Yuzuru when he's competes)
2. Javier Fernandez
2. Tatsuki Machida
4. Maxim Kovtun
5. Takahito Mura
6. Sergei Voronov

Ladies
1. Elizaveta Tuktamisheva
2. Elena Radionova
3. Julia Lipnitskaia
4. Gracie Gold
5. Anna Pogorilaya
6. Ashley Wagner