Grand Prix Final predictions | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Grand Prix Final predictions

anyanka

Record Breaker
Okay, one more round where I can be terrible at this! Heh.

Men:
  1. Machida
  2. Fernandez
  3. Mura
  4. Hanyu
  5. Voronov
  6. Kovtun

Ladies:
  1. Radionova
  2. Tuktamysheva
  3. Gold
  4. Lipnitskaya
  5. Pogorilaya
  6. Wagner

Pairs:
  1. Stolbova / Klimov
  2. Duhamel / Radford
  3. Sui / Han
  4. Kavaguti / Smirnov
  5. Peng / Zhang
  6. Yu / Jin

Dance:
  1. Weaver / Poje
  2. Chock / Bates
  3. Papadakis / Cizeron
  4. Gilles / Poirier
  5. Shibs
  6. Ilinykh / Zhigansin

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
Hmm.. is this official thread of the Prediction Game Final? Or just for our speculations? :)

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hmm.. is this official thread of the Prediction Game Final? Or just for our speculations? :)

If this were golf...I'd say we were on the driving range with this thread.

Last edited:

Snow63

Record Breaker
That's what I'd like to know. We haven't heard the rules for the final yet (unless I missed them somewhere).

I've heard them already. If Mrs. P didn't change something in the last moment of course. It's a surprise :)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
That's what I'd like to know. We haven't heard the rules for the final yet (unless I missed them somewhere).

This is like the bunny hill (to use skiing terms) for your predictions. :)

I have not posted the official GPF round thread. I am going to finalize the rules with the scorers first! So feel free to speculate and think away. As I said, you'll appreciate it!

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
While I agree the men is going to end up with a surprise winner (and likely a messy event), I don't like predicting the surprise winners because you never know who it's going to be. Say I pick Mura for the win... but he actually ends up in last place, and Voronov wins. At least if I pick Machida, I'm likely to get 5 or 10 points as long as he remains on the podium... I dunno, just speculating here. Preliminary predictions:

Men:
1. Tatsuki Machida
2. Javier Fernandez (so rooting for him, for the sake of skating in Spain... but I'm afraid the pressure will get to him).
3. Maxim Kovtun
4. Sergei Voronov
5. Yuzuru Hanyu
6. Takahito Mura

Ladies:
1. Elena Radionova
2. Elizaveta Tuktamysheva
3. Anna Pogorilaya
4. Yulia Lipnitskaya
5. Gracie Gold
6. Ashley Wagner

Pairs:
1. Stolbova/Klimov
2. Duhamel/Radford
3. Kavaguti/Smirnov
4. Sui/Han
5. Peng/Zhang
6. Yu/Jin

Dance:
1. Chock/Bates
2. Weaver/Poje
3. Papadakis/Cizeron
4. Shibutani/Shibutani
5. Gilles/Poirier
6. Ilinykh/Zhiganshin

Snow63

Record Breaker
While I agree the men is going to end up with a surprise winner (and likely a messy event), I don't like predicting the surprise winners because you never know who it's going to be. Say I pick Mura for the win... but he actually ends up in last place, and Voronov wins. At least if I pick Machida, I'm likely to get 5 or 10 points as long as he remains on the podium... I dunno, just speculating here. Preliminary predictions:

Oh. You have no idea. This tactics is so not gonna work this time. Ok. Now I'm shutting up, or Mrs. P will kill me. I just can't contain myself, new rules are just... I just can't stop talking... I should go get some snacks or something...

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Oh. You have no idea. This tactics is so not gonna work this time. Ok. Now I'm shutting up, or Mrs. P will kill me. I just can't contain myself, new rules are just... I just can't stop talking... I should go get some snacks or something...
Oh. I see. Then I pick Voronov to win GPF.

(It's not like that tactic has been working well so far, since I'm bottom of the pile in men. :laugh2:)

MalAssada

Medalist
Now I'm going to try to predict the rules, Snow63 :biggrin:

-Clearly the 15, 10 and 5 points rule is not going to work because like Sandpiper said, 6 people are too few. I think it is going to be an all or nothing competition, where the correct placement scores 10 points and the highest score is 60.
-There are underdogs in most disciplines. Perhaps guessing those who get out of podium in the right order will be worth more than the podium guesses.
-Snow63 is excited about new rules, which means we are screwed up.

Snow63

Record Breaker
Now I'm going to try to predict the rules, Snow63 :biggrin:

-Clearly the 15, 10 and 5 points rule is not going to work because like Sandpiper said, 6 people are too few. I think it is going to be an all or nothing competition, where the correct placement scores 10 points and the highest score is 60.
-There are underdogs in most disciplines. Perhaps guessing those who get out of podium in the right order will be worth more than the podium guesses.
-Snow63 is excited about new rules, which means we are screwed up.

:laugh2:

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker

:laugh: or warming up on the putting green...

Regarding the rules - let's hope we all start from scratch :biggrin:

Dream golds: Javier, Ashley, Sui/Han and Gabriella/Guillaume!

lennicky

Rinkside
My predictions:
Men
Javi
Machida
Kovtun (if he is able to skate well in both programs)

Ladies
Elena
Elizabeta
Julia

Pairs
S/k
D/r
S/h

Dance
C/b
W/p
C/p or i/z ( i know it's difficult but i would like they to get the bronze medal, they deserve it)

pitterpatter

On the Ice
I see a Russian sweep in the ladies, but not sure as to the order. I'm not 100% convinced that Liza's newfound consistency is the real deal, and although Julia's been struggling this season she's a proven tough competitor, whereas Elena and especially Anna have yet to be tested under the same kind of pressure.

I think Stolbova/Klimov are going to clinch the gold, with Duhamel/Radford and Kavaguti/Smirnov following. There's bomb potential though, so we'll have to see if one of the Chinese teams can sneak onto the podium. They're all looking quite strong, and it'll be interesting to see how the pecking order of the Chinese teams shakes out. I would not be surprised if Sui/Han and Yu/Jin pass over Peng/Zhang here - her jumps still seem quite inconsistent.

The three Dance frontrunners are pretty clear, but I don't think there's a clear favourite for gold among them. Have any of these teams even medaled at the GPF before? I have some weird gut feeling that Ilinykh/Zhiganshin are going to grab bronze.

My plan is to roll a die for the Men. Standard dice are 6 sided so it works out well.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Weaver & Poje had 2 GP silver medals last year, were 5th in the GPF,and were last year's world silver medalists
http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00009841.htm

Chock & Bates won 2 bronzes last year. Both were World Jr.Champions, but with other partners
http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00013665.htm

Papadakis & Cizeron never won a GP event before this season. They were World Jr. silver medalists in 2013. Their highest GP finish previous to this year was fifth.
http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00011507.htm

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Actually out of all of the qualifiers, only Weaver/Poje (2010, 2011, 2013) and the Shibutanis (2011) have been to GPF previously.

anyanka

Record Breaker
This is like the bunny hill (to use skiing terms) for your predictions. :)

I have not posted the official GPF round thread. I am going to finalize the rules with the scorers first! So feel free to speculate and think away. As I said, you'll appreciate it!

We want prizes! How about styrofoam or plastic hockey pucky-style medals with the Golden Skate logo on them? :p

Of course we'll gladly take cash as well. I'll send you my PayPal details .... just kidding! I know we're not allowed to gamble and the only thing we can do is speculate and win bragging rights. :)

SashaJuliaSpins

Final Flight
:laugh: or warming up on the putting green...

Regarding the rules - let's hope we all start from scratch :biggrin:

Dream golds: Javier, Ashley, Sui/Han and Gabriella/Guillaume!

I love Ashley, but I don't think she'll win this one! But never say never, the ice is a vicious fickle goddess I'd always say...anything can happen!