Sergei Voronov | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Sergei Voronov

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Good job Sergei! While my favourite was Kostya, Sergei definitely deserves credit for going clean. I think he's still in a position to win, if the top two make mistakes.

adelia

Record Breaker
Robbed of gold. Robbed. But then again what's new. Tossed aside just because of politics. Miserable 2 days of competition.

Camillo

On the Ice
Real RusChampion 2014/2015 is Sergei :cheer:
Will root for him at Euros&Worlds.

He was so sweet at k&c saying "My team is the best" :love:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Congratulations to Sergei Voronov, the 2015 Russian National Champion! (Hey, let me pretend for a few minutes, won't you? :cry:)

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
What can you do? :cry: I take some solace in the fact that he should easily get the 2nd spot at Worlds (sad for Kostya, though), and Sergei has put out an incredible effort all season. I think even Kovtun knows the outcome wasn't right.

Camillo

On the Ice
Sergei represents our generation so well!! Proud of him. :rock:

So true :) ! I'm glad Sergei proved that you can be competitive at this age and after serious injuries (he had broken his leg in 2012 and after that had problems with lutz).

adelia

Record Breaker
What can you do? :cry: I take some solace in the fact that he should easily get the 2nd spot at Worlds (sad for Kostya, though), and Sergei has put out an incredible effort all season. I think even Kovtun knows the outcome wasn't right.
Maybe. But I don't think he cares.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I think Kovtun looked a bit surprised (or at least bemused) by his scores in the K&C. Honestly, none of this is his fault. I even give him credit for ditching Blue Spiderman and trying to emote during his FS, which I thought was lacking in his SP. But Sergei was better across two programs and I would've had him as the winner.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
A short interview with Eteri:

Sochi, December 27 - R-Sport, Maria Vorobyov. Vice-champion of Russia figure skating Sergei Voronov with every new tournament skating shows more liberated and starts to get pleasure from their performances, according to coach an athlete Etery Tutberidze .
Ravens won the silver medal of the Russian Championship with a score of 270.53 points . Skater was third after the short program, but won the arbitrary and came in second place. Won Maxim Kovtun (271.52).
"Serezha has great potential. And I can see that from start to start it starts liberating. That's what I was missing in his speeches. He was a little pinched, bound, which prevented" hear "program, to understand what he was rolls. But the second start in a row he begins to enjoy the skiing, "- said Tutberidze correspondent" R-Sport. "

"Actually, Sergei fellow, though he does not want to admit it! In the long program, I somehow did not for him worried. He went to the ice, and I had confidence that he will be good to ride. Very nervous about it, as Adya (Pitkeev) to cope with the program, but together with Sergei, I enjoyed the rolling "- shared coach.
Tutberidze agreed with the view of some experts that Voronov be added to the program more complex approaches to jump elements. "We certainly are not going to change anything - it does not work this season, it should be gradual. Generally if you take the second half of the program, before jumping in a more simple Sergei there's some tranzishn, but before jumping complex yet" - said the coach.

"The fact is that for us the entire first half is not the easiest: there is in fact in the appendage to have a quad triple Lutz, and this jump takes away from Sergei more power than quadruple" - concluded Tutberidze.

I don't think anyone would dispute that he doesn't have great transitions, but it gets so tedious to see certain people act like having some weakness negates everything else (particularly since every.single.skater has weak areas). Tell me, who has been more consistent this season than Voronov. He hasn't had a single fall - how many other men can you say that about (esp. men with a quad)? He knows how to connect with the audience. His jumps are aesthetically pleasing, even if the flow out of them isn't the best. I'm sure if he improves his transitions (and I believe he can - look how far he's come already since he went to Eteri), the haters will just find something else to nitpick. Oh, well.

Last edited:

borzaya

Final Flight
A short tv news report about Sergei preparing for the Euros. Would anyone be able to translate? I can pick out a couple words like 'working' with my rudimentary Russian, but that's all.

https://vk.com/eteri_tutberidze?z=video-65093677_171129093/5f9150124e8e94b227

The commentator says that there is a good atmosphere at practices, and though Adian due to his age feels a bit tense, Sergei, the silver medalist of the last Euros, says that he enjoys working on the ice every day and prefers not to think about the results. Then Sergei says that everything can happen in sport and when he goes to the ice at competition he doesn't think about the places he could take, he just wants to do his best, and if he succeeds that brings the most contentment from his work, and as for places, it's for judges to decide.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
The commentator says that there is a good atmosphere at practices, and though Adian due to his age feels a bit tense, Sergei, the silver medalist of the last Euros, says that he enjoys working on the ice every day and prefers not to think about the results. Then Sergei says that everything can happen in sport and when he goes to the ice at competition he doesn't think about the places he could take, he just wants to do his best, and if he succeeds that brings the most contentment from his work, and as for places, it's for judges to decide.

What a great attitude to have. I'm cheering for you at Euros Sergei. :cheer:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Thank you borzaya!

My wishes for Sergei at Euros are: 1. Make the podium 2. Beat Kovtun. That will be enough for me. :) I know he can do it, too.