Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Translation by bing translator
http://m.gazeta.ru/sport/2014/12/11/a_6337461.shtml

Chock and Bates-great developer»
Exclusive interview of the famous coach Igor Shpilband
by Ekaterina Kuliničeva

Exclusive interview with the newspaper.«Ru» gave a famous coach and postanovšik Igor Shpilband, whose students — Americans Madison Chock and Evan Bates — 11 December victory in the final of the Grand Prix series in Barcelona might challenge World Championship in ice dance.

Is this season in front of your students Madison Chock and Evan Bates is to fight for the title of the first issue of the United States national team in ice dancing. As far as added headaches when setting programs?

When are new programs, all is taken into account. That number and what you say, as a duo and will look at international competitions, and the Championship of America. In addition, it is important that the couple developed and that programmes do not occur. And of course, there are rules. This year they have changed very much. So, take into account the need of all.

If you like these changes? Or you are, in principle, do not think in such categories, and just work with what you have?

-Actually, Yes. For more than twenty years of work I'm already used to it, that the rules are constantly changing. And ice dancing very much changed.

— Going back to talking about your students, how would you as a coach have marked the duo's main benefit Chock/Bates?

— It is difficult to talk about her. (Smiling.) But I will try to be objective. In my opinion, this is their real passion for dancing and terrific desire to do it. They are very fond of their programs, they like to skate with each other. And the guys are very much work. I am willing to remove their hat, because and Madison, and Evan is a great developer.

— Who in their Duet is the motor?

"I just feel that they complement each other very well. Madison and Evan are different in temperament. And as long as it works. "I think the answer is that the motor is a partner of ...She is very graceful, very plastic. And this soft style was her since childhood. Plus a sense of music, a sense of dance. Madison was always a very natural and elegant. This is very hard to teach.

In addition to your question about the merits of this Duet is Madison is very feminine. And Evan works a lot over their physical qualities to make it fit. It has become much stronger as an athlete, a much more courageous. And this is a strong beginning, in my opinion, very well with the aforementioned qualities of partner.

-Do you share the view that a pair of figure skating duo is primarily a dance partner?

-For me it is not. In ice dancing to be a combination. We can see that there are wonderful girls and wonderful boys. But the duo appeared to be harmony, must be involved. And partners together to create what is called the word "chemistry". One person is not. In dance, where you look only at one of the partners, will be something unnatural. There can be no dancing without a relationship.

And what if the partners are brother and sister? As Kerrs or Shibutanis?

-As it is, without a doubt, a very complicated work Director. Limits when selecting those athletes can take. Because passionate love relationship on ice between brother and sister, of course, will not look pretty. I happened to work with such duets so that I know from experience how this limits.

On the other hand, there is the example of your former students Meryl Davis and Charlie White, who also has never been on the ice a passionate couple. Especially in comparison with Canadians Tessa Virtue and Scott Moiro. That has not stopped the Americans win the last two World Championships and the Olympics.

— All this is given to varying degrees. Someone is more naturally, someone less. But Meryl and Charlie worked on it a lot. And in the end reached a certain level. If you look at their Olympic programme, the surprise is that there is a relationship between a man and a woman.

-How you can work on the chemistry between partners?

— Acting, work on understanding the program, on the understanding of relationships, music. There are many different details and nuances.

Are you in the group is a teacher of acting?

Is There. (Smiling.)

— Madison and Evan is proactive in athletes or trust your opinion?

-Every year they are getting older and are becoming more proactive. You can see that they grow and as athletes and as a person. Life experience and more conscious approach to what you're doing, always help. Therefore, older athletes is already a completely different work.

Is It difficult for you as a Director was the short dance this season Paso doble?
It was not an easy task, you are right. And I have heard similar comments from many other producers. Moreover, in the current season format was used for the first time, a compulsory dance when the elements are inserted into your program and it should be harmonious.

But I'm happy with the Madison and Evan. Paso doble. We chose "Don Quixote". It is this work and appearance and temperament. Flamenco is a very interesting and vivacious music, but there are a lot of similar things. And I am glad that we are set apart.

Is your name has long been a brand in the coaching workshop. And when you've worked in a duo with Marina Zueva, now. And certainly there were those who thought that the important thing is to get to you in a group, and you all will: and good programs and technology. You this reputation Wizard has never interfered in the work?

"I don't know about, do I have that reputation. I don't believe in magic. Just because nothing happens. Personally, I see my job to organize the time athletes so that every day, every hour they used at 100% and have all that talent and energy that they have.

"I, of course, it is difficult to judge, but I have never felt what you ask. I think that the athletes who come to me, everyone understands. This can be a general view from the side. But don't think that athletes who have serious plans, are confused about this topic and not realize that you can accomplish anything without hard work."

Is that for the United States figure skating is the first female solo performer. And dancing on ice, despite all the successes of recent years, were a bit on the second cast. Olympic victory Meryl Davis and Charlie White in this regard something has changed?

I think American Olympic champions will definitely attract more attention to this. But, it seems to me, singles still remains the favorite. The fact of the matter is that in the United States figure skating has a huge number of girls. Think of the enormous popularity of the women's skating is associated in many ways with this.

Is the boom in ice dancing does not happen? And, for example, to get you to the rink in Novi, a long line of children wanting to dance, suddenly is not formed?

— I do not notice it. (Smiling.) And then, dancing now became very complex. If it used to be: OK, if in singles does not matter, you can go to the dance, "but now things have changed. Skaters from other kinds of training dancers and come to realize that it is very difficult. Today it's a completely different sport.

By the way, you've been following the triumph of Meryl with the show "Dancing With the Stars," which feels like, gave them a popularity which was not for all years in figure skating.

— I Agree. They show that opened up to a wider range of viewers. You know that Meryl also was chosen "Sportswoman of the year" by one reputable organization? Very happy for her. She is a wonderful person and a great athlete. We still have a very warm relationship.

— I am very touched that it, having the opportunity to embark on a solo sailing on waves of show business, however, preferred to continue to be part of their Duet. She is a very reliable person. And very faithful.

Not so long ago, quite a lot of noise has Tessa Virtue saying that she feels sorry that she and Scott Moir did not following you from Marina Zueva. You have heard anything about this?

-No, I hadn't.

-Do you believe that any of these two duos after a year hiatus, could return to the amateur sport?

— It's hard for me to judge. But I know that coming back after a missed season are always insanely hard. Both physically and mentally.

More recently, you have been Russian disciples — Duet Riazanova and Ilia Tkachenko. But last season, failing to qualify for the Olympic team, he broke down. For you of their decision to pursue a career apart was a surprise?

— I can't say that it was a complete surprise. Maybe it was the unequal partners desire to ride and act. Complexity in life can be different. With this face throughout his career a lot.

Ilya, as you know, decided to pursue a career with Isabella Tobias. Now they train and look very good. Unfortunately, this season they may not speak, but we've made them voluntary program for next year.
Hopefully, this additional time to work will help them. Short dance now set, unfortunately, difficult, because we still do not know what would be rule. And I suspect they are very hard to change.

-Collapse of another Russian duo, Elena Ilinykh and Nikita Kacalapova — many call a tragedy. Do you share that view?

— The management of grain in this part too, see no. They are very good in harmony: Nikita is strong, and Lena strong feminine — she is an unusual and emotional.

I'm not an absolute opponent to break up couples. Sometimes, there are objective conditions. It is difficult to ensure that the athletes over the years have grown and evolved in the same way. Rarely and the same talent and doing the same. But this pair with a sports point of view, I have no problems seen.

Last edited:

anyanka

Record Breaker
The focus on past students appear to be on Marlie and Voir, but no mention of Anna & Luca? Unless it wasn't translated?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Translation by bing translator
http://m.gazeta.ru/sport/2014/12/11/a_6337461.shtml

Chock and Bates-great developer»
Exclusive interview of the famous coach Igor Shpilband
by Ekaterina Kuliničeva

... On the other hand, there is the example of your former students Meryl Davis and Charlie White, who also has never been on the ice a passionate couple. Especially in comparison with Canadians Tessa Virtue and Scott Moiro. That has not stopped the Americans win the last two World Championships and the Olympics. ....

... By the way, you've been following the triumph of Meryl with the show "Dancing With the Stars," which feels like, gave them a popularity which was not for all years in figure skating.

— I Agree. They show that opened up to a wider range of viewers. You know that Meryl also was chosen "Sportswoman of the year" by one reputable organization? Very happy for her. She is a wonderful person and a great athlete. We still have a very warm relationship.

Thx for posting the interview, Doris.

Two comments:

- Contrary to the interviewer's question [ETA: or at least the Bing translation thereof], Davis/White did not win the last two World Championships. Their world titles are from 2013 and 2011, of course.

- Happy to read that Shpilband still has a very warm relationship with Davis. :)

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
-Do you believe that any of these two duos after a year hiatus, could return to the amateur sport?

— It's hard for me to judge. But I know that coming back after a missed season are always insanely hard. Both physically and mentally

This makes me sad, but I think Igor is right.