Presumptive entries list Europeans 2015 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Presumptive entries list Europeans 2015

adelia

Record Breaker
Liza and Elena are definitely going to Worlds, barring any injury/illness. Even if they bomb at Euros, they will still be sent to Worlds. The 3rd spot is still open to Anna or the Russian Cup winner.

juuryokunashi

On the Ice
this is probably a question that should go to the 'Stupid Questions' thread, but since we're at the topic of Euros... why are Israel, Georgia, and other Asian countries counted as European members of the ISU/why are their skaters competing at Euros instead of Four Continents? :confused:

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
this is probably a question that should go to the 'Stupid Questions' thread, but since we're at the topic of Euros... why are Israel, Georgia, and other Asian countries counted as European members of the ISU/why are their skaters competing at Euros instead of Four Continents? :confused:

My assumption would be this is due to their close proximity to the region that is common considered "Europe", with Israel and Georgia just being slightly south of the former Soviet nations (or Eastern Europe, as it's more commonly referred to now).

On another note, I'm not sure Europeans and 4CC are split in a way that makes much sense. European skaters over the past two decades have been the strongest in Russia or post-Soviet nations. I suppose skaters like Carolina Kostner had been changing that for Ladies. Men has actually started to balance out with the fall of the Soviet Union and Plushenko not competing. Aside from that, Ladies, Pairs, and Ice Dance are all full of Russians on the podium pretty much every year. I think 2015 will probably be the most dominant we've seen in a long time.

LisaM

Medalist

Not sure if it'll answer your question but states such as Israel and Georgia are also counted as European countries for all other sports if I'm not mistaken. For example, the summer EYOF will be held in Georgia this year.

Nirti

Medalist
That's absolutely not a stupid question ;-)

"sports" Europe is often larger than geographical Europe. In football, even the Kazakhstan plays the European competitions!

juuryokunashi

On the Ice
Thanks for the responses, sabinfire, LisaM and Nirti. :) The question has been bugging me since I've started following Figure Skating.

Nirti, you mentioned Kazakhstan plays the European competitions -- I was thinking of how, and why, Denis Ten competes at 4CC and not Euros, though. And Kazakhstan and (Uzbekistan) participating at Asian Winter Games.

Really sorry for asking that question, but I suppose I really just couldn't quite, uh, wrap my head around the concept because I only ever followed basketball (NBA, actually) before getting into figure skating, and then recently local Japanese professional baseball. ~_~

sabinfire - that's a good observation. With Caro now out for the season and barely anyone else on the ladies roster having enough TES/PCS leverage against the Russian ladies, it'd most likely be a Russian sweep for Ladies; quite possibly for Pairs and Ice Dance, too (though I'm still hoping for an upset of a Russian sweep here, with Coomes/Buckland and Papadakis/Cizeron. ^^)

Nirti

Medalist
Usually Kazakhstan and other central Asia former USSR states (Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, Kirghizstan and Tajikistan) plays the Asian championships in all sports. In figure skating, the fact of playing Europe or 4 Continents doesn't change anything, that's only one competition. In football, Kazakhstan wanted to have more opportunities of improvement with playing all the year against stronger feds/clubs, and probably more financial development. And if we look at a map, Kazakhstan have a little bit of territory in Europe (at the west of Ural).

ArcticMonkeys

On the Ice
I am just wondering, why Germany has two entries in ladies? Last year Sarah was 34th and Nathalie was 8th. So their combinated placements were 42... Has the rule changed?

Last edited:

AnnaTheMusician

On the Ice
If the final placement is among 10 best skaters the country gets automatically 2 spots. Nathalie was 8th, that's why Germany has two entries. To get 3 entries the skaters have to have placements which are no more than 13. For example 6th and 7th place or 4th and 9th. In ladies only Russia and Italy have 3 spots. (Russia 1st and 2nd, Italy 3rd and 6th)

http://www.isuresults.com/results/ec2014/CAT002RS.HTM

Last edited:

ArcticMonkeys

On the Ice
If the final placement is among 10 best skaters the country gets automatically 2 spots. Nathalie was 8th, that's why Germany has two entries. To get 3 entries the skaters have to have placements which are no more than 13. For example 6th and 7th place or 4th and 9th. In ladies only Russia and Italy have 3 spots. (Russia 1st and 2nd, Italy 3rd and 6th)

Thank you! But wikipedia says: " If a country has two skaters/teams, the combined placement of those teams must be 13 or less to qualify three entries, and 28 or less to keep their two entries." It has been my source. I think I can't trust it anymore :laugh: when did this rule change or has it always been like that?

Last edited:

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Thank you! But wikipedia says: " If a country has two skaters/teams, the combined placement of those teams must be 13 or less to qualify three entries, and 28 or less to keep their two entries." It has been my source. I think I can't trust it anymore :laugh: when did this rule change or has it always been like that?
No, it's correct: if a country has one skater competing, in order to obtain two spots that skater has to place in the top10; if the country has two skaters, their placements have to result in a number lower than 23 when summed ;)

AnnaTheMusician

On the Ice
No, it's correct: if a country has one skater competing, in order to obtain two spots that skater has to place in the top10; if the country has two skaters, their placements have to result in a number lower than 23 when summed ;)

Well, then I'm also confused with this rule. Why does Germany have two spots in ladies?

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Usually Kazakhstan and other central Asia former USSR states (Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, Kirghizstan and Tajikistan) plays the Asian championships in all sports. In figure skating, the fact of playing Europe or 4 Continents doesn't change anything, that's only one competition. In football, Kazakhstan wanted to have more opportunities of improvement with playing all the year against stronger feds/clubs, and probably more financial development. And if we look at a map, Kazakhstan have a little bit of territory in Europe (at the west of Ural).

That is good to know! Supposed that Denis Ten of Kazakhstan competes in the European Championships instead of 4CC, that could be more exciting to watch since the top leveled male skaters are mainly from Japan these days. He could've had more chances to get medals in top events like Euro since he has no 4CC medal.;)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I am just wondering, why Germany has two entries in ladies? Last year Sarah was 34th and Nathalie was 8th. So their combinated placements were 42... Has the rule changed?

The explanation is that Hecken was "awarded" ;) only 18 placement points b/c she did not qualify for the FS last year.

Per Rule 378, paragraph 2.b):
... Competitors who were entered for the Short Program/Short Dance, but did not qualify for the Free Skating/Free Dance, will be awarded 18 points for Single Skating ....
http://static.isu.org/media/166717/...and-technical-rules-sandp-and-id_14-09-16.pdf (see p. 24 of this 145-page PDF)​

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I meant 28 of course :slink:

AnnaTheMusician

On the Ice
The explanation is that Hecken was "awarded" ;) only 18 placement points b/c she did not qualify for the FS last year.

Per Rule 378, paragraph 2.b):
... Competitors who were entered for the Short Program/Short Dance, but did not qualify for the Free Skating/Free Dance, will be awarded 18 points for Single Skating ....
http://static.isu.org/media/166717/...and-technical-rules-sandp-and-id_14-09-16.pdf (see p. 24 of this 145-page PDF)​

Thanks! Again I learned something new from the endless rules :) I checked the pdf linked above and kept going on reading to page 25. Did I understand correctly - if for example Kiira happens to get gold or silver, Finland will have 3 spots for next year? Well, of course it's very unlikely but just asking for the example. :biggrin:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Thanks! Again I learned something new from the endless rules :) I checked the pdf linked above and kept going on reading to page 25. Did I understand correctly - if for example Kiira happens to get gold or silver, Finland will have 3 spots for next year? Well, of course it's very unlikely but just asking for the example. :biggrin:

Correct, AFAIK.

ArcticMonkeys

On the Ice

pororocheburashka

On the Ice

Georgia is -at least partially- geographically within Europe this is according to most (if not all) interpretations of Europe's borders.
Even Kazakhstan has a significant physical area in Europe according to some definitions of Europe's geographical borders.

Israel it's not part of Europe but nearby countries (in the Middle East) don't want to compete with Israel (e.g. soccer or any sport in the area etc.). For this reason Israel is competing as a "guest" in Europe.

Last edited:

Mia29

On the Ice
According a french tv, Lauriault/Le Gac are not selected by the french federation

Last edited: