2014-15 Japanese Nationals Mens FS | Page 21 | Golden Skate

2014-15 Japanese Nationals Mens FS

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Shoma has a mature and graceful style to his skating in contrast to his size and youthful appearance though his programs are simpler than the very top skaters'. However, I noticed he was exhausted when he finished his LP so he still needs training to adjust to the Senior programs. It is probably a good idea for him to get more competitive experience and titles in the Junior rank, considering the deep Senior Men field in Japan, even with another retirement.
I think he hurt his leg (possibly on the 3-3). He looked to be in pain, and when he got off the ice, he immediately sat down before he even reached the K&C.

She has as much dramatics as Machida's firebird. I wouldn't call it ZERO expression. Firebird isn't suppose to project "audience friendly", wink and a smile. They need to be simply appear aloof and entitled as if they are otherworldly supernatural creatures. That is why Machida's firebird worked for me in that sense. His Ode to joy devoid of joy on the other hand less so. Really sorry to see him go. Even I don't agree with his interpretation, he is without a doubt one of the best skaters in the world with alot of talent and bravado. I will miss him.
Never in a million years will I understand how someone can prefer Machida's Firebird over his Ode to Joy. But, well, different strokes for different folks, I guess.

lakeside

On the Ice
Oh yeah, lots of people disagree with the bashing of Russian ladies. Euro sports, CBC, NBC, as well as international judges, all have praised the Russian ladies' interpretation. And not that many people like Park's interpretation. You can see that Johnny also prefers the Russian ladies to Park.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
OS please watch Machida's final Ode to Joy performance at National. He is SMILING all the way through his step sequence. it really touched my heart. I really felt his interpretation and perfect for that music. that is when I started to love that program/performance. a very precious and genuine smile.

You know...I did watch it and thought it was his best interpreted yet (btw did he wear mascara and foundation?) because of the utter freedom he expressed that felt inspired and didn't feel like skating for points. Having think back, the clues are all there on why he chose this piece, and even his struggle mid season and how it affected his performance.

The second half of the performance was practically autobiographical, like Beethoven's last Hurrah when he wrote the piece = Machida's last Hurrah! he was finally relaxed at Kiss and Cry as if a huge weight has been off his shoulder, and had that secret knowing smile. The acoustic at the Japan National arena may have helped me appreciate this program more than at his previous outing.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
^^Come on, did OS here "bash" Russian ladies or Johnny, she is just giving very thoughtful opinion with lots of good points. You on the other hand, have you watched SoYoun's performance at all, or just become she is Korean (EDIT: or you secretly hate Yuna;)). If you can give more concrete points as why Julia's R&J is better than SoYoun's interpretation like OS did here, I will have more respect to you and perhaps take you seriously.

Last edited:

yyyskate

Record Breaker
@OS yes, machida did wearing eye liner and foundation to cover his acne, so sometimes, people just laughed at him and can not take him seriously, but he is very comfortable in his own skin, that is very admirable, I think there are a very well written tribute to him at his fanfest (by a poster, ID similar to maria victoria), maybe you should read it.

lakeside

On the Ice
I'm not the one who first thought os168 bashed Russian ladies. Scroll up and you'll see how others react to os168's long post about Russian ladies and hijacking this thread. But having read how Yuna fans e.g. yyyskate bashed elena and other Russian ladies in the past half year, I understand why he thinks those harsh words are not "bashing," and of course I'm not going to waste my time to discuss Russian ladies with some extremist Yuna fans who use all opportunities to bash Russian ladies.

i think it make sense for Shoma to go to junior. While he was great the last two previous competition, his score just not going to cut it. Having a world junior title has some brownie point when he moved to senior and he will get better PCS. It's always suck for juniors to wait for their turn to get good PCS, but unfortunately it is the game you have to play in figure skating. =(
I don't think the problem is his PCS. It's more about whether the international judges will be so lenient on his flutz, UR, and levels. Junior worlds judges are usually more lenient than the senior judges, so it's better for him to go to JW at this moment.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
regarding Machida's ode to joy, what is the true meaning of joy, think about Beethoven's life experience, when can a person finally understand the meaning of joy, that is all there in Machida's performance.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
I'm not the one who first thought os168 bashed Russian ladies. Scroll up and you'll see how others react to os168's long post about Russian ladies and hijacking this thread. But having read how Yuna fans e.g. yyyskate bashed elena and other Russian ladies in the past half year, I understand why he thinks those harsh words are not "bashing," and of course I'm not going to waste my time to discuss Russian ladies with some extremist Yuna fans who use all opportunities to bash Russian ladies.

I don't think the problem is his PCS. It's more about whether the international judges will be so lenient on his flutz, UR, and levels. Junior worlds judges are usually more lenient than the senior judges, so it's better for him to go to JW at this moment.

Me bash Radio (if I am really going to bash Russian girl, definitely not this one;))? , you really are very funny.:laugh:

Last edited:

lakeside

On the Ice
You bashed too many people, including Elena, so it's not funny. I can quote you, but it's unrelated to this thread, so I'll leave it at that. Hopefully no more on Russian ladies in this thread.

Btw, I don't like Machida's Ode to Joy, neither his Firebird. I think his East of Eden is his signature program, very beautiful and touching.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Oh yeah, lots of people disagree with the bashing of Russian ladies. Euro sports, CBC, NBC, as well as international judges, all have praised the Russian ladies' interpretation. And not that many people like Park's interpretation. You can see that Johnny also prefers the Russian ladies to Park.

LOL since when did Johnny not like something Russian? To point out faults is not bashing! Try to see things as they are instead of for or against pls. I don't trust judges's ability to decipher PCS these days anyway. Too many times one can see they are used as placement holders, by the pattern of how they mark between each skaters with equal incremental practically across all categories. A bad habit became a glaring weakness, misconceptions became accepted standard norm and nobody seems want to do something about it. Federations wouldn't complain because this weakness actually allows them to exert greater control to influence / manipulate result to suite their agenda.

As for everything else, you need to bear in mind those who work in the industry wouldn't want to destroy it. It is always better to try 'stay positive' publicly for the sake of the sport. It is much easier to protect their job by generally agreeing with the institutional line. Anymore controversy or negativity will ensure further death of this sport, or even get it kicked out of the Olympics. Usually after an Olympics, public interest usually increase around the world. Has it happened this quad? Or worse off than ever?

I generally love the Eurosport guys, but recently they have been a bit iffy. The lovefest for Maxim's choreography is deeply hilarious. On the other hand, they also love So Youn's R&J, her artistry and her presentation...so what? None of them impact my thoughts. One thing is for sure, ISU has been desperately trying to save face by artificial inflating Russian ladies scores in general to Neverland as if it is normal to justify Sochi inflation. When these scoring were simply at unprecedented level if you are to check out the standard and benchmark of the past, and especially for a 3T3T program. In doing so, it destroyed the credibility that separate Senior level and Junior level skating. It harmed the integrity of the COP system with all those 8s/9s out of 10 PCS given out like candy as if the obvious deficiencies can be summarised by the mere margin of of 1s and 2s from perfection. The scores are so inflated it gives little incentives to improve any more, why bother. Now we are fully in the skating for points era, especially among this crop of skaters that is fully immersed in the point system unlike the previous crop of skaters who at least grew up watching the 6.0 skaters/programs.

I know Japan has been strict here with the tech calls, but I think they are for once doing the decent and responsible thing for the sake of sport. Wish more federation can follow suite, and do it for the betterment of the sport, the skaters, than what is best for the federation.

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Wow, what a comeback for Kozuka! Almost half of the jumps in that program were double-footed, but by golly he went out there and stood up on a very difficult, loaded program. He has the best basic skating out there right now and the performance had some real verve to it as well. A shame about some of the choreography, would really work better if he held out moves. He can do a gorgeous spread eagle in a full circle that would be great here but things just seem a bit thrown in. There's no reason for that choreography sequence to be so busy and random.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
This is VERY LATE, but here is the PDF of the scores.
http://www.jsfresults.com/National/2014-2015/fs_j/national/data0105.pdf

Hanyu's greatest weapon is his 3A combinations. Those are SERIOUS point-getters. 15.86 16.12 :bow: over 30 points for these 2 jumping passes.

Kozuka got -GOE's on 4 jumps and so he needs to clean that up for maximum points. I love his spins. It's like they are nailed to the ice. I don't know if I've seen anyone with such centered spins.

Uno's 3As and 4T are now quite solid. His TES (87) is at a level where he can aim for the podium at any senior-level competition.

Mura is still getting decent TES (81) and even his PCS is not too low. If this were any other country but Japan he'd be on the podium, or a National Champion. He has a really beautiful 3A which got GOE's of 2.00 and 1.80 -very high quality.