2015 US Nationals Practice groups and detailed schedule | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2015 US Nationals Practice groups and detailed schedule

Eddie Lee

On the Ice
The fans who are making the trip and spending the money are owed something......and part of that is information in a timely manner. It costs thousands for a fan to attend. And with fandom numbers dropping, it would behoove Nats Officials to make every effort to stem the tide.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Rant warning! :)I agree with you. Hill Carrow, promoter of Greensboro, cares about us. He has asked many fans, including me, what we need...what we would like, to make Greensboro a good experience. And I think he does a good job at making a great nats. He is a business man and makes money and more power to him. But I, and many serious fans who donate to the USFS have become very disenchanted with the USFS and have cut back, or , in one case, eliminated our funding to the USFS. During one Friends of Figure skating breakfast, a friend of mine overheard a USFS official, no longer employed there, say to the caterers, "these people can be difficult and opinionated" and told the help to not worry about the fact that the serving of the food was taking way too long. When my friend told me that, I started giving funds to skaters personally instead of through the USFS. My old friends who have left the USFS or who were forced out tell me fan support in the organization isn't exactly a high priority. Well, so be it. It's their sand box. If I don't like it, I can take that $2500 and go on a cruise....OK , end of rant.
I will say this as constructive critism of their fund raising......What if there was a way to get $10 a year out of every one who attends nats and everyone who is a serious American figure skating fan, with the stipulation that those funds would go 98 percent to young skaters who show promise? I think there is something that each of us might want and would be willing to pay $10 a year for that wouldn't cost hardly anything at all, and maybe nothing? How much money would THAT generate? Everyone might have different ideas on what they want....some here might want a USFS official fan site with schedules, real up to date news, access to skaters, etc, but we are all different....what would it take YOU to give $10 to a young skater program?

The fans who are making the trip and spending the money are owed something......and part of that is information in a timely manner. It costs thousands for a fan to attend. And with fandom numbers dropping, it would behoove Nats Officials to make every effort to stem the tide.

Carolla5501

On the Ice
Interesting. After watching how USFS staff interact with fans and their basic refusal to explain how much of their donations actually benefit skaters I decided not to give.

However I agree we can't blame the Greensboro folks for this delay. I have volunteered at a Nationals and the schedule is controlled by USFS and NBC

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Actually, after all I have seen over the years, much of which I cant talk about, I really don't blame you for not giving. But I will try to ask at GB how much of my FOFS dollar goes to young skaters. If they wont tell me, then I think an independent foundation/trust that is open to the public is in order...

Till then, you can always make a deductible donation to the skater of your choice at New England Amateur skating Foundation.
The New England Amateur Skating Foundation provides support for figure skaters all over the world. Donations to this fund are tax-deductable. The skaters do not receive the money directly; instead they submit bills for their skating related expenses, and they foundations pays those expenses.

I receive nice cards from skaters I have given to in this manner....many are not rich and don't have huge sponsors....
Interesting. After watching how USFS staff interact with fans and their basic refusal to explain how much of their donations actually benefit skaters I decided not to give.

However I agree we can't blame the Greensboro folks for this delay. I have volunteered at a Nationals and the schedule is controlled by USFS and NBC

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Yes, it is a great venue, but GB is more than that. I like the people, I like the way fan problems are solved, I like the fact that volunteers are stationed at tables in the lobbies of official hotels to help fans, I like that fact that there are bathrooms in the arena (Sorry, London, the devil made me say that) . I had a great time there....and I expect I will again. Now if there were only a cheep way to get to the hotel from the airport! :laugh2:

I agree it's a great venue! Of course, i'm a little biased since i live only 30 minutes away :clap:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Still no sign on the event website of the practice groups and schedule -- although the FanFest page is being updated.

acraven posted these links at FSU tonight: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/ind...o-2015-us-nationals.86596/page-6#post-4421879

"A fellow fan has found a tentative detailed schedule (dated 12/28/14).

Practice groups are also available, but it's possible that they, too, could change."

(Athletes and coaches have access to this info earlier than the general public.)

Thx to acraven and to Sylvia.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I am thankful that someone leaked these...I now have my word docs with the info in a form that I can actually read....but I have to wonder....there has to be an obvious mechanism for coaches and skaters to access the portal on the official web site that contains the information....I have no problem what so ever in not having access to the portal on a normal basis....but why keep the info secret from the 200 plus fans that actually have a use for it? These are the same 200 people that go to all/many/most of the events. They pay their money year after year..and many are doners....what is the harm in keeping them in the loop? Just put it up on the website with a disclaimer than they are subject to change without notice and very likely will a bit. It isn't like it is ignorance. I have mentioned it more than once to USFS folk in the last week or so....It is so very odd. The announcement that the schedules are us could even be a marketing tool.....I don't get it.

Still no sign on the event website of the practice groups and schedule -- although the FanFest page is being updated.

Thx to acraven and to Sylvia.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
FYI, Ice Network has published its coverage schedule:

SCHEDULED (ALL TIMES EASTERN)

1/17/2015 9:35am Intermediate Pairs Short Program
1/17/2015 10:45am Juvenile Pattern Dance
1/17/2015 1:00pm Juvenile Girls Free Skate
1/17/2015 2:30pm Juvenile Pairs Free Skate
1/17/2015 3:05pm Intermediate Pattern Dance
1/17/2015 5:35pm Juvenile Boys Free Skate
1/17/2015 7:20pm Intermediate Men's Short Program
1/17/2015 8:45pm Intermediate Ladies Short Program

1/18/2015 12:50pm Juvenile Free Dance
1/18/2015 2:55pm Intermediate Men's Free Skate
1/18/2015 4:40pm Intermediate Ladies Free Skate
1/18/2015 6:10pm Novice Pattern Dance
1/18/2015 8:55pm Novice Ladies Short Program

1/19/2015 10:15am Intermediate Pairs Free Skate
1/19/2015 12:00pm Intermediate Free Dance
1/19/2015 1:30pm Novice Pairs Short Program
1/19/2015 3:25pm Novice Men's Short Program
1/19/2015 5:05pm Novice Ladies Free Skate

1/20/2015 9:30am Novice Free Dance
1/20/2015 11:35am Novice Men's Free Skate
1/20/2015 6:05pm Junior Pairs Short Program

1/21/2015 1:50pm Junior Men's Short Program
1/21/2015 3:35pm Novice Pairs Free Skate
1/21/2015 6:15pm Junior Short Dance
1/21/2015 8:20pm Junior Ladies Short Program

1/22/2015 11:00am Junior Pairs Free Skate
1/22/2015 4:35pm Senior Pairs Short Program
1/22/2015 7:50pm Senior Ladies Short Program

1/23/2015 10:30am Junior Men's Free Skate
1/23/2015 12:35pm Junior Free Dance
1/23/2015 2:45pm Junior Ladies Free Skate
1/23/2015 5:15pm Senior Short Dance
1/23/2015 8:15pm Senior Men's Short Program

1/24/2015 10:45am Senior Free Dance (Groups 1 & 2)
1/24/2015 12:20pm Senior Pairs Free Skate (Groups 1 & 2)
1/24/2015 7:00pm Senior Ladies Free Skate (Group 1)
1/25/2015 2:00pm Senior Men's Free Skate (Groups 1 & 2)

Viewer's note: Those senior groups not shown live on icenetwork on Saturday, Jan. 24, and Sunday, Jan. 25, will be televised live on NBC.

http://web.icenetwork.com/schedule/2015/01/2015_us_fs_champs

In case anyone needs the event website's schedule page (which at present still has only a non-detailed schedule):

Last edited:

hummingbird

Spectator
This has been so annoying. Thanks to those who made the information available via this route. I will not go to Greensboro again if the event is ever held there another time. Sure, it's nice that the secondary ice is in the same place, but the arena is horrible, the people are not fan friendly, and the arena food is the WORST I have ever experienced. Plus, it's not an easy city to get to, and I should be boycotting events in North Carolina anyway due to personal political beliefs which are not relevant here, so I won't go into them. Not sure what the point of the breakfast will be, as all of the top skaters will be practicing for the gala. End of rant.

Carolla5501

On the Ice
This has been so annoying. Thanks to those who made the information available via this route. I will not go to Greensboro again if the event is ever held there another time. Sure, it's nice that the secondary ice is in the same place, but the arena is horrible, the people are not fan friendly, and the arena food is the WORST I have ever experienced. Plus, it's not an easy city to get to, and I should be boycotting events in North Carolina anyway due to personal political beliefs which are not relevant here, so I won't go into them. Not sure what the point of the breakfast will be, as all of the top skaters will be practicing for the gala. End of rant.
Where we have the same event? I found the people very nice. The food at the arena was standard arena food so I can't get too upset.

And of course for some of us this is an easy place to get to

As for scheduling you seem to be blaming the local people for decisions made by the Federation. If you're looking for someplace to care about fans, need to follow a new sport. USFS seems to view us as a burden to bear

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I am with you. Good fan fest food, nice people, brand new refurbished arena with new seats. Good arena pitch. I know I (and the local eateries) would have liked some time in the schedule so that we could go out to the restaurants like we did at Spokane 2010 but there doesn't seem to be any time to do that here. With the hub system, I don't think GB is any more difficult to get to by air than any other city of its size. And sure, at the FOFS breakfast, there will be conflicts with those skating at the rehersals....oh well....its not cancer.
Where we have the same event? I found the people very nice. The food at the arena was standard arena food so I can't get too upset.

And of course for some of us this is an easy place to get to

As for scheduling you seem to be blaming the local people for decisions made by the Federation. If you're looking for someplace to care about fans, need to follow a new sport. USFS seems to view us as a burden to bear

Carolla5501

On the Ice
I think the new format with all the National events the same week means this is the new model. The schedules will be PACKED from now on. Spokane was really unique in that they had an extra Championship weekend and a lot less competitions then we now have.

Sounds like this year the shuttle system is going to create issues amoung the "start to finish" crowd so I expect lots of complaining. And based on what I have seen in the past that will billed over to "hating everything".

Just remember the Volunteer you are chewing out didn't actually make these decisions. (I met some of you when I volunteered. And screaming at me did not really help, trust me LOL)

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I gave the 2011 LOC an A+ for being helpful and answering questions. At this point I would give the 2015 LOC a C-.

I agree that part of the problem is combining Jr. Nationals with Sr. Nationals. Part of the reason, IIRC, was to expose the younger, lower level skaters to the skaters and fans. Doesn't seem to be working out well and in 2016 I can't image it will work any better and probably far worse.

The couple of questions that I've asked of the LOC have resulted in me being told to call the Coliseum. The LOC was not able to provide a name or phone number to call or any other information. The situation with the shuttle is very aggravating and honestly I feel I've been ripped off. If any of the shuttle info had been available before I ordered my pass, I would have completely revamped my trip. But, it is too late now and I will just have to live with it.

I have asked the LOC by email when the fist shuttle leaves the Doubletree each morning and the answer has been on the :00. Since there are generally 24 hours in a day it would sure be nice to have a real answer. I replied and asked again when the first shuttle leaves the Doubletree (especially on Tues, Weds, and Fri.) and the answer was 1 line. "The shuttle leaves the Doubletree at the :00 and the Hampton at :10". Still doesn't tell me if it is 6:00 a.m. or 7:00 a.m. I guess Monday I'll try calling with this same question. I'm not the type to yell at anyone and I place a lot of the blame on USFS. I do think we are just a pain to them and if we would just send them our money and not show up they would be thrilled.

Oh, USFS still hasn't released the detailed competition/practice schedule. My email from the LOC blamed USFS and said they were sick of answering the question. I guess if I was sick of answering, I'd just put the information on the website schedule page that USFS has not released the detailed schedule. If that was on the page, I would not have asked again. I know I will never again give any LOC my money 2 years out and pay for anything like a shuttle without more information.

Now I have to get ready to enjoy the skating.

I think the new format with all the National events the same week means this is the new model. The schedules will be PACKED from now on. Spokane was really unique in that they had an extra Championship weekend and a lot less competitions then we now have.

Sounds like this year the shuttle system is going to create issues amoung the "start to finish" crowd so I expect lots of complaining. And based on what I have seen in the past that will billed over to "hating everything".

Just remember the Volunteer you are chewing out didn't actually make these decisions. (I met some of you when I volunteered. And screaming at me did not really help, trust me LOL)

Carolla5501

On the Ice
So you expect USFS to allow a LOC to imply they are not perfect? LOL. nothing goes on those pages with being blessed and they get hysterical if anything looks remotely less then "everything is perfect"

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Oh dear! I never thought about that angle. You are probably right. Thank goodness someone posted a link, or we would still have no idea how to plan.

So you expect USFS to allow a LOC to imply they are not perfect? LOL. nothing goes on those pages with being blessed and they get hysterical if anything looks remotely less then "everything is perfect"

Carolla5501

On the Ice
Oh dear! I never thought about that angle. You are probably right. Thank goodness someone posted a link, or we would still have no idea how to plan.

I have an acquaintance who did a web page for a past championship. He is an excellent designer who hated every minute of the USFS experience. He said they insisted on old design standards that were not as user friendly as it could have been. And he said getting content approved was a nightmare.