Alexandra Stepanova & Ivan Bukin | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Alexandra Stepanova & Ivan Bukin

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Guys, I just updated their OP. I hope you find some stuff you haven't seen, including an early GS interview with them.

These were the earliest videos I could find for them from their first JGP season. The OD choice for 2009-2010 was folk dance, and their music choice made me grin, from the "redgrass" Grammy nominated band Bering Strait. Too cute. It is a Russian folk/US country music fusion piece.

2009-10
SD Porushka-Paranya by Bering Strait
FD Latin Medley: Tequila by Azucar Moreno, Kiss of Fire by Caterina Valente, Oaeo by Reina Saba

2010 Russian Junior Championships Folk OD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rByunzldv6A
2010 Russian Junior Championships FD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-62IeEAZ8-U

Do they have vk pages that are verified?

Sorrento

Record Breaker
There's a new interview with Andrei Bukin- father of Ivan in Russian here: http://www.sport-express.ru/se-velena/reviews/909630/
He shares his thoughts on the current leaders in dance field: French couple would lead two upcoming Olympic seasons, none of he current leaders would be able to overcome them. Russians wil have to deal with French. There are a couple of phrases that I did not realy like: he doesn't give names, but couple of comments could be linked to Elena and Ruslan.
I had no idea Elena Ilynikh skated with Ivan when they were kids. Andrei says that even when she was 10 years old she was the best dance partner every boy could dream of. He also praises Ivan't current partner Alexandra.
Even though I find some of his words quite controvercial I tend to share his thoughts on current leaders in Dance field. Their time is running out.
What do you guys think?

Alba

Record Breaker
There's a new interview with Andrei Bukin- father of Ivan in Russian here: http://www.sport-express.ru/se-velena/reviews/909630/
He shares his thoughts on the current leaders in dance field: French couple would lead two upcoming Olympic seasons, none of he current leaders would be able to overcome them. Russians wil have to deal with French. There are a couple of phrases that I did not realy like: he doesn't give names, but couple of comments could be linked to Elena and Ruslan.
I had no idea Elena Ilynikh skated with Ivan when they were kids. Andrei says that even when she was 10 years old she was the best dance partner every boy could dream of. He also praises Ivan't current partner Alexandra.
Even though I find some of his words quite controvercial I tend to share his thoughts on current leaders in Dance field. Their time is running out.
What do you guys think?

I think he is wrong about the French. They won thanks to their beautiful FD, not because they are superlative skaters and it just happened last season. It remains to be seen how good they can be. All top couples are able to overcome them, as of now. I doubt they will lead this Olympic cycle let alone two. Torvill&Dean couldn't do that and they were far more great skaters and during an era which was easier to win two Olympic. COP is practically impossible.

Last edited:

alithia

Final Flight
I shouldn't be writing that in S/B thread, but I think Andrey Bukin sounds bitter his son didn't continue with Ilinykh. And this explains a lot of comments. Just that.
He doesn't care about levels, just ideas, but then this is not the sport he was doing in the 80s, he should understand it.

Last edited:

Sorrento

Record Breaker
I think he is wrong about the French. They won thanks to their beautiful FD, not because they are superlative skaters and it just happened last season. It remains to be seen how good they can be. All top couples are able to overcome them, as of now. I doubt they will lead this Olympic cycle let alone two.
I think everybody now question if their (French) new programs would have this WOW factor or hehe X Factor!, otherwise... And I agree with Andrei- Guillaume is the leader in this couple, both technically and artisticaly he's the star of the duet.
I also think that current leaders are fading. If only Russians could come in their full bloom this season- that would make my heart happy. Plus I am really curious what Alexandra and Ivan comes with. I LOVED their past season FD.
Aslo- have you heard- Paul- Islam and Hubbell- Donohue left Krylova- Camerlengo. It's not the good sign. I wounder if Kaytlin and Andrew will stay put up till Olys.

Marta25

Medalist
P/C`s FD was beautiful, but if they can manage to really dominate the dance field has to be seen. A lot will depend on their programs of this season. I already followed them when they were juniors and they were known for their very modern programs. The Mozart program was actually a complete new style for them, so we will just have to wait, I guess. How S/B are going to fare against them, I`m unsure. I think they will struggle more with the waltz than with the paso doble and similar to the French last year, they also could rely on a strong FD.

Last edited:

Sorrento

Record Breaker
I shouldn't be writing that in S/B thread, but I think Andrey Bukin sounds bitter his son didn't continue with Ilinykh. And this explains a lot of comments. Just that.
He doesn't care about levels, just ideas, but then this is not the sport he was doing in the 80s, he should understand it.
I agree on bitterness. But as for levels- he said that is why he does not do choreo now because he cares about interesting ideas and not certain number of elements and levels. This comment has nothing to do with competitions.

Sorrento

Record Breaker
I don't think that Elena and Ivan have same energy, you know, I don't see them as a dance couple. Ivan seems a bit mellow to me. And Elena needs a tough guy beside her, she really does.

Marta25

Medalist
I don't think that Elena and Ivan have same energy, you know, I don't see them as a dance couple. Ivan seems a bit mellow to me. And Elena needs a tough guy beside her, she really does.

I think Elena needs someone who 100% stands behind her and supports her, I think she found that in Ruslan. Alexandra and Ivan seem also to have a very strong relationship. So, I think, in terms of finding the one on ice, both, Elena and Ivan, had a happy ending :)

Alba

Record Breaker
I think everybody now question if their (French) new programs would have this WOW factor or hehe X Factor!, otherwise... And I agree with Andrei- Guillaume is the leader in this couple, both technically and artisticaly he's the star of the duet.
I also think that current leaders are fading.

Yep it remains to be seen indeed. You can't always have a hit. They were 4rth after the SD at Worlds and thanks to the PCS mostly. It means they are not unquestionable. I don't know why he thinks the opposite.

If only Russians could come in their full bloom this season- that would make my heart happy.

Russians are busy bashing each other. Look at NA, they will sell you even their 3rd couple as la crème de la crème. ;)

Aslo- have you heard- Paul- Islam and Hubbell- Donohue left Krylova- Camerlengo. It's not the good sign. I wounder if Kaytlin and Andrew will stay put up till Olys.

Dubreuil and Lauzon are the new fashion. Sometimes changes are good and needed but if you do that just because a couple had a hit that's wrong, IMO. I guess that's good news for W&P and Hawayek&Baker though. More time and attentions from Krylova and Camarlengo for them.

It depends what we mean with tough. I think you need a strong partner in this sport. A strong partner is someone not only who is a good skater and has talent but somebody 100% reliable and you can always count on. Not someone who might seem as "strong" and "tough" because he/she is vain and act like a macho. Russians in particular are still behind on this. They still have an old mentality where the Man is God, especially in ID, which is funny because the best Russian Ice Dancers were all women.
For example, I think Bates it's a great partner for Madison. He is a better skater than she is. He is not the star of the couple but he is reliable and I think Madison feels confident with him.

Last edited:

alithia

Final Flight

Same feeling here. Somehow it would never work, and they would eventually split. Sometimes I think that the tough guy in S/B is actually Sasha

Sorrento

Record Breaker
I think Elena needs someone who 100% stands behind her and supports her, I think she found that in Ruslan. Alexandra and Ivan seem also to have a very strong relationship. So, I think, in terms of finding the one on ice, both, Elena and Ivan, had a happy ending :)
Yeah, I agree with you. I really love the chemistry between Ivan and Alexandra. I hope they will be lucky this season too. It's not ike I wish others to lose, no, I just like them.

Marta25

Medalist
Dubreuil and Lauzon seemed fresh and new last year, but after watching their teams`programs back to back, I`ve to say, I hope this isn`t the new style the ISU will reward. IMO, it`s too schmaltzy.

Sorrento

Record Breaker
Russians are busy bashing each other. Look at NA, they will sell you even their 3rd couple as la crème de la crème. ;).
Emm, whos' NA? You lost me here. Russians spend a lot of energy fighting within their country for a spot in Team Russia, it's an old story, I don't think it ever ends.

Dubreuil and Lauzon are the new fashion. Sometimes changes are good and needed but if you do that just because a couple had a hit that's wrong, IMO. I guess that's good news for W&P and Hawayek&Baker though. More time and attentions from Krylova and Camarlengo for them.
I actually loved French SD last season too, they worked with Antonio Najarro and had an edge to their dance. Basically I think we all are curious what comes from a huge group of leader darers under DubLau spell.

I am so sorry to spam this topic with other skaters comments, please don't hate me too much.

Last edited:

Alba

Record Breaker
Dubreuil and Lauzon seemed fresh and new last year, but after watching their teams`programs back to back, I`ve to say, I hope this isn`t the new style the ISU will reward. IMO, it`s too schmaltzy.

They seemed fresh because it was new for P&C and it worked but if you have a look to their past programs, both as skaters and coaches, they have always been like this. It was their forte and also their weak point.

Sorrento

Record Breaker
Danish couple (I think it was Danish, correct me if I am wrong). They basically jumped out of the blue to me. I did not see anything special in them. ISU strongly did. So maybe DubLau are the new Marinas? (Zoueva).

Last edited:

Alba

Record Breaker
Emm, whos' NA? You lost me here. Russians spend a lot of energy fihting within their country for a spot in Team Russia, it's an old story, I don't think it ever ends.

No, fighting for a spot it's good. Strong competition is always good it makes you improve. I said bashing each other, busy with intrigues and gossips. This interview just confirms that. NA is North America, meaning canadians and americans. They too fight for their posts but outside their media and officials are all: "look how many great couples we have". They don't whine or attack a couple of their team just so they could favor another one. That's the difference.

I actually loved French SD last season too, they worked with Antonio Najarro and had an edge to their dance. Basically I think we all are curious what comes from a huge group of leader darers under DubLau spell.

I didn't mind their SD but it was not the best, for me. Anyway, I was strictly referring to their scores, without entering into the merit of the program per se.

I am so sorry to spam this topic with other skaters comments, please don't hate me too much.

There is not much else to talk about right now. Don't worry. :biggrin:

Last edited:

Marta25

Medalist
Danish couple (I think it was Danish, correct me if I am wrong). They basically jumped out of the blue to me. I did not see anything special in them. ISU strongly did. So maybe DubLau are the new Marinas? (Zoueva).

Maybe, they are or it`s just the surprise that a team, who isn´t coached by Zueva or Shpilband is winning Worlds. :biggrin: At least Zoueva`s time seems to be over. Somehow, her programs now look old-fashioned. At least, it looked like that to me, last year. Anyway, do we know if S/B will participate at any Senior Bs?

Last edited:

Alba

Record Breaker
Maybe, they are or it`s just the surprise that a team, who isn´t coached by Zueva or Shpilband is winning Worlds. :biggrin: At least Zoueva`s time seems to be over. Somehow, her programs now look old-fashioned. At least, it looked like that to me, last year. Anyway, do we know if S/B will participate at any Senior Bs?

I liked the Danish last season but these new programs were a snooze. It's too early though and just saw them in one competition.
I wouldn't count Zoueva out, yet. Shibs seems to have two pretty good choices, at least in terms of music.