Evgenia Tarasova & Vladimir Morozov | Page 26 | Golden Skate

Evgenia Tarasova & Vladimir Morozov

newyn

On the Ice
I really liked their performances this week. I adore both their current programs and I like the changes Marina has brought to their skating. Their Bolero is simply divine. Such hame about the toeloop but what can you do. I hope they are not too disappointed about 'losing' the Russian national title.

This thread has been a bit... depressing read lately. I just want to say, the way I see it, Evgenia & Vladimir have already achieved plenty, much more than most skaters ever achieve. Sure it feels there is still some untapped potential in them, but if it will never come out so be it. Personally I feel the move to Marina was a good one. I see their skating changing and for the better, program-wise and performance-wise. Sure there has been problems, and perhaps it has and will hurt them politically, but this isn't ice dance and even in ice dance there has been more unpredictability since the implementation of this new, cleanliness-valuing scoring system. Evgenia & Vladimir themselves appear to be in a positive mindset which is nice to see.

I'm looking forward seeing them skate at Europeans and Worlds and I'm sure I will enjoy their elegant and refined skating best of all. Like the super fan that I am :laugh:

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
Best of luck to Evgenia and Vladimir in Graz. Looking forward to two strong performances. I felt they were a little unlucky in Russian Nationals, I would definitely have given them the Gold. However, more importantly it was their two best performances of the season. Hopefully they have turned a corner and settled in to their new routine in Florida, I think it did impact on them in the GP season.

aka_gerbil

On the Ice
I think they got cheated at nationals. Yes, there was the mistake on the combo, but the quality of everything else they did was enough to outweigh everything that B/K did. B/K have a long way to go to develop their skating skills, etc. to the level of T/M, yet the judges threw them PCS like they're almost there and that is what made the difference. If the fed had wanted T/M to win, they would have.

I don't think T/M have the politics to win right now (and it hurts my heart that they're likely to go this season without a single win--the last thing they won was Russian nationals last year). If they were the team RusFed was backing right now, they would have won nationals. If they're not the team that RusFed is backing, then I don't think they can win Euros. My hope is just that T/M skate two clean programs that they can be proud of. They have been working with Andrew Torgashev's dad once a week on jumps. I'm hoping it's going to have helped. They have good technique to begin with, but maybe a few tweaks will give them the confidence to be consistent on jumping again.

I do think they've settled into being in Florida. They seemed very content at Russian nationals, if that makes sense.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I do think they've settled into being in Florida. They seemed very content at Russian nationals, if that makes sense.

That's true! Vovan posted some photos on Insta living it up in the sunshine.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7MjzPfpECg - Look! Vovan's smiling! I kinda want to post it in a competition thread or something so people can see it :p

Also here's some footage of Zhenya and Vovan during practice earlier: https://www.instagram.com/p/B7mY90ipo0B

Sadly with time zones being as they are I can't watch the competition :(

But ooo wait, I think I can watch the last group!! I'm not sure if my nerves could take it though!

Miriam090

Rinkside
I'm so disappointed for them :( they would have been 1st or at least very close to it if not for that mistake - such a shame it had to be on the biggest scoring element; they could have got ~10 points for that and they ended up getting around 2 I think. Fingers crossed they can have a great free skate - clean and a skate that they can be proud of, no matter where they end up

anonymoose_au

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'm so disappointed for them :( they would have been 1st or at least very close to it if not for that mistake - such a shame it had to be on the biggest scoring element; they could have got ~10 points for that and they ended up getting around 2 I think. Fingers crossed they can have a great free skate - clean and a skate that they can be proud of, no matter where they end up

OMG I know! I couldn't believe it! The program was going so gloriously, I felt like they were finally in the zone...

I hope that was just a freak slip...I worry that Vovan might not be as strong as he once was. He is getting old.

I wonder if they can capture the magic of the Russian Test Skates again. There they skated their programs so beautifully I didn't even notice the lack of costumes! It was pairs skating at its purest.

aka_gerbil

On the Ice
😫😫😫😫😫😫😫

I am so frustrated at them and for them. I think it’s all mental at this point.

After test skates, I thought they were going to be world champions. Instead, this season has felt like watching their career unravel in a slow motion trainwreck. They say they want to be world and Olympic champions. They made the big move to Marina.... and it seems to have made them into even worse headcases.

What worries me more at this point is that to win worlds and Olympics, they have to have the support of the Rusfed and they have to be rus #1. I’ve never thought or felt that the fed has ever fully supported them the way they did V/T, S/K, and now B/K. I feel like even if t/m are able to come out next season and never set a foot wrong that they are never going to get the fed support back, never going to get back the Rus #1 position.. and in that case, there’s no path for them to win the two medals they want. If the reason they’re competing is those two medals and there’s no way to win them because they don’t have the fed’s support, then what is the point? I sort of think they’d be better off to take advantage of the opportunities to skate in shows and make money instead of tilting at windmills.

anonymoose_au

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Also not gonna lie I'm concerned they've drawn first spot in the last group for the FS.

I know IJS was supposed to prevent this, but I feel like if you don't skate last or at least after your biggest rivals then winning is even harder if not impossible.

I'm certain that if T/M had skated last or at least after Sui/Han at 2019 Worlds they would have won, or at least scored closer.

With B/K last to skate the judges will hold back on T/M's score expecting B/K to be superior. This means unless B/K make a huge error (which I'd never want to happen to them) T/M are toast. They might not even get silver over Daria and Dennis...

aka_gerbil

On the Ice
IJS was supposed to prevent a lot of things that it hasn’t.

Scores build and it’s almost always advantageous to go later.

I’ve seen some people on Russian fans throwing out 2018 when t/m pulled up from 5th to 1st, but they were not as far behind on points and they were Rus#1. I didn’t think they were going to win anyway, but this just makes it even more precarious. I think t/m would have to be beyond perfect and b/k meltdown like the gpf again....

slider11

Medalist
I say, just go out there and do it, Evgenia and Vladimir! Skate your hearts out! Placements be darned!

NAOTMAA

Medalist
OMG I know! I couldn't believe it! The program was going so gloriously, I felt like they were finally in the zone...

I hope that was just a freak slip...I worry that Vovan might not be as strong as he once was. He is getting old.

I wonder if they can capture the magic of the Russian Test Skates again. There they skated their programs so beautifully I didn't even notice the lack of costumes! It was pairs skating at its purest.

Didn't they say in an interview they were tweaking their technique on a lot of their elements? I think that's why they seem to be having a lot of these odd off kilter moments this season on their spins and lifts. Learning new technique, even if its something minor, isn't easy but I expect next season they will be more use to it and we won't be seeing these moments anymore. Thank god both of them are okay and no one was hurt

aka_gerbil

On the Ice
Didn't they say in an interview they were tweaking their technique on a lot of their elements? I think that's why they seem to be having a lot of these odd off kilter moments this season on their spins and lifts. Learning new technique, even if its something minor, isn't easy but I expect next season they will be more use to it and we won't be seeing these moments anymore. Thank god both of them are okay and no one was hurt

They have talked about tweaking techinque, which sort of flummoxed me a bit because the only thing they really needed help on technique-wise was getting the jumps more secure. I thought they were going to Marina to work on other aspects.

If the tech issues are because they're reworking technique, then hopefully they'll be more stable next season. That said, I also think the political damage from the mishaps this season is so extensive that no number of pristine skates will get them back on top of Russian pairs skating, much less the top of a world or Olympic podium. I know they had things they needed to work on, but by changing technique, they lost a lot of ground this season that they couldn't afford to lose and now have no way to make up. The net result is putting them in a worse position than they were before the move.

They have all the talent, it just feels like they missed their window. When T/M moved up to seniors, it was supposed to be S/K n 2018 and T/M for 2022. Then S/K faltered and T/M found themselves on top early before they were ready to handle the pressure (and I suspect didn't have full support) and now, they've been surpassed by a younger team....and there's never really any coming back from that.

I am just so sad, and frustrated, and disappointed for them/with them.

Miriam090

Rinkside
I think a lot of it must be changing technique - at least I hope so anyway! Changing coaching teams does take time to smooth everything out, so I'm hoping that they can take this season as a learning curve and come back next season better than ever. Look at Evgenia Medvedeva for example - last season she didn't get the results but now she's a much stronger skater. Of course it's going to be different with different disciplines, but fingers crossed it's similar for T/M!

aka_gerbil

On the Ice
I am a fan of Med, and she had some lovely moments this season, but it’s also highly unlikely she’s ever going to make it on to another Euros/Worlds/Olympic team. She is a stronger skater and more stable than last year, but it’s also a case of improvements still not being enough.

slider11

Medalist
I hope Tarasova and Morozov hang in there through the Olympics. The younger teams are the future but T/M represent solid technique and amazing artistry. I situations, this is gold medal winning!

bsfan

On the Ice
T/M are also young. They have the technical base. I hope they hang in there for next Olympics and more. They are in better coaching situation and as long as they work hard, they will improve.

anonymoose_au

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Congratulations to T/M for their silver (I tried to go back to sleep, but couldn't and they were bronze then)!

I have decided to embrace positivity - I've previously written how upset I feel that maybe T/M won't be remembered as the special skaters they are. But then I realised, of course they will, because I'll remember them as such! :biggrin:

After all any team that can skate this beautifully in practice gear can't ever be forgotten!

aka_gerbil

On the Ice
Congratulations to T/M for their silver (I tried to go back to sleep, but couldn't and they were bronze then)!

I have decided to embrace positivity - I've previously written how upset I feel that maybe T/M won't be remembered as the special skaters they are. But then I realised, of course they will, because I'll remember them as such! :biggrin:

After all any team that can skate this beautifully in practice gear can't ever be forgotten!

I first saw this when I was at work, but now I'm home and can properly sob over it. So true--we know how special they are and will remember them that way.

I came across some photos of them from 2017 Euros. Evgenia looked so happy. I just want to see them happy again.