2015 Winter Universiade | Page 19 | Golden Skate

2015 Winter Universiade

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
In 2013, when Carron Jones won dance, they played the silver medalist's anthem.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kZkMTDKxeI

I remember one time Chris Vermeulen won a World Superbike race at Laguna Seca, and instead of playing "Advance Australia Fair", they played "Waltzing Matilda"!!! :laugh:

Well, at least it was from the right country! And everybody saw the funny side.

CaroLiza_fan

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker

According to Wikipedia, the song is the official anthem of the International University Sports Federation.

Does anyone know that the song was ever played for other disciplines' award ceremonies in Universiade?
--------------------
EDIT: I got it.
The International University Sports Federation (FISU) adopted the song as its anthem to be played during the medal-awards ceremonies and the opening ceremonies of the Universiades. -Wikipedia

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

Thank you for clearing that up. I take it they didn't tell the skaters in advance.

As for the ceremony itself, I loved how the three girls were when they were being given their medals. Maria looked like still wasn't sure if she had really won a medal, and then when she was given the medal, a tear came to her eye.

Mae-Berenice and Alena were absolutely delighted. I haven't seen either of them quite that happy in a very long time.

It was great to see that all three of them were nore than happy with their result.

I hope this is the start of a resurgence from them all.

CaroLiza_fan

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
I haven't seen much of the universiade… mostly: 'this content is not available' Thanks for posting!

Though, after being patient, refreshing multiple times, I got to see the ladies last group :)
Happy for the medalists. Good fight Mae! I really hope neither Alena nor Maria quit. Alena is so special and Maria is so charming…. well, for me all three are needed in this sport :clap:

I think she probably decided that after doing so well at Euros last week, it would be better to have a rest rather than do 2 competitions back-to-back.

There again, then you think of those 3 girls that did both segments at the EYOF and EUros in the space of 6 days.

Unfortunately Viktoria had to WD due to illness. I'm sure she would have loved to compete again.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
According to Wikipedia, the song is is the official anthem of the International University Sports Federation.

Does anyone know that the song was ever played for other disciplines' award ceremonies in Universiade?

The only other ceremony I saw was after the Women's ski jumping competition in Slovakia last week. And they played the Russian anthem for Irina Avvakumova.

HOWEVER, that was a flower ceremony rather than a medal ceremony like we saw today. So, that might make a difference.

CaroLiza_fan

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
The only other ceremony I saw was after the Women's ski jumping competition in Slovakia last week. And they played the Russian anthem for Irina Avvakumova.

HOWEVER, that was a flower ceremony rather than a medal ceremony like we saw today. So, that might make a difference.

CaroLiza_fan

Thanks for the answer and also your efforts to keep the thread very active. This is a real fun event after the Euro.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Thanks for the answer and also your efforts to keep the thread very active. This is a real fun event after the Euro.

I wouldn't say I was actively trying to keep it active! :laugh: I was just answering questions and occasionally posting comments that I wanted to make. It wasn't like I was commenting on every single skater... :p

Anyway, according to the schedule PDF for the entire Universiade, the Gala is due to start NOW. But, there is no sign of life on the FISU livestream yet.

In case it does spring into life, here is the link:

http://www.granada2015.org/en/media-universiada/universiade-tv

Fingers crossed!

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Do they show the gala on the FISU stream ?

Well, we are now 10 minutes after the start time, and unfortunately there is no sign of the stream becoming active.

So, by the looks of things, the answer to your question is "no" :disapp:

But, I will keep refreshing the page, and update you if anything comes on.

CaroLiza_fan

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
So I guess we'll never see any of the gala...I'm sure it was lovely. ;) But Maria didn't even have a program prepared!

http://www.team-russia2014.ru/article/20310.html

Surely she must have known she had a good chance to medal here? Or maybe she didn't realize there would be a gala at all. But I guess I'm surprised more skaters don't have an exhibition ready to go...aren't you supposed to think like a winner? Hopefully this medal will boost her confidence.

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
What?! A sale is more important than seeing Alena, Maria, Roberta, Mae-Berenice and Laurine fight it out?!

I never thought I'd hear you say that.

Happy shopping!

CaroLiza_fan

I know, I know, shame on me. First time this whole season I missed out on an event for another engagement :eek:: I did get a lot of good loot though :biggrin:

Anyway, the scores for the Ladies predictions have been scored and posted in the respective thread~ Everyone did well considering the withdrawals.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
So happy Mae's skate got uploaded, I really enjoyed it :) She really went for it today. This is her first international medal in two seasons, she should be very happy :cheer:
It really is. She seemed to be choking with emotion after finishing her performance without fatally damaging mistakes.
By the way, didn't she look gorgeous in the blue dress with sliver strings? I always love seeing a beauty in a beautiful dress skating beautifully. :love:

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
While it was nice to see Mae on the podium, I would have had her 3rd overall. Quite rightly she won on TES but there is no way she should be so close to Maria on PCS. I thought Maria was the clear winner on PE, CH & IN and slightly ahead on TR & SS. I really liked Maria's performance, it's a very mature and elegant style. I was a bit disappointed she changed her costume as I liked it.

On the Pairs side, I really thought that A/R were robbed of victory. I am a fan of Y/J but they were not at their best here. I would have had things much closer after the short and A/R winning the free by a clear margin. For Men, Liebers was a well deserved winner, hopefully he will have a strong worlds. I thought Gorshkov was a little harshly treated and I would have had above Gachinksi (definitely in the free anyway).

I enjoyed the skating in the Universiade, it would have been nice if Eurosport had shown some highlights or even live. Not sure why they didn't as the showed plenty of the other sports in the games.

Does anyone know who is Maria's coach? Is he one of Ruvatiskyn (spelling) team?