Jane Austen | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Jane Austen

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Is anyone watching the adaptation of "Sanditon" written by Andrew Davies, and currently playing on PBS in the USA? If so, what do you think?

eliana

On the Ice
I am a huge Jane Austen fanatic. And given some of the comments I've seen on the boards recently, I know I'm not alone. Perhaps we might want to start discussing the books after the holiday/new year insanity has settled down? Including the juvenalia--I think Love and Freindship (sic) is one of the funniest things I've ever read! If interested or you have any ideas for a book discussion, feel free to chime in.
Me too. I read all his books (I have them in my library), I saw all the movies and series made over the years starting with Laurence Olivier as Mr. Darcy. I visited his memorial house in Chawton Village twice and I am fascinated by the time he lived. Pride and Prejudice is the first movie and book I saw and read when I was a teenager, a long time ago. Then there were Emma, Ellinor and Marianne, Persuasion, etc. By chance I came across Northanger Abbey in an antique shop and read it in two days. Was awesome. When I became an adult I tried to read absolutely everything about Jane Austen like a person. Beautiful times

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
my favorite Jane Austin novels are Emma and Persuasion... not really sure why except they seem to me to be closest to the human condition
I love reading about the woman herself, her life. Has anyone seen the film “Becoming Jane”? A biography of sorts with Anne Hathaway and James MacAvoy. Loved it tho lots of license taken with the facts
My favorite “Emma” film btw is the Kate Beckensale version....

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Up again?
How is it that I am not surprised of finding janeites on a figure skating thread?
My "order of preference" among novels is :
- Emma (with the most loveable of Austen's wonderful male pictures, unfortunately no adaptation did him justice, far from it, though BBC 2009 had a character who could have creditably played Robert Martin, which is saying a lot; and Mark Strong was not a bad choice in A&E 1996 but Andrew Davies really didn't catch the depth of this character in the scenario, quite the opposite; after all maybe the "least wrong" was Paul Rudd in Clueless, to me the best adaptation, the choice of skipping his character an let him aside being anyway compulsory in a mere movie);
- Pride and Prejudice, having the best adaptation maybe because the novel is so well fit for a mini-series, with its "operatic" construction (I mean Italian opera, as Jane Austen has shown to like in Persuasion) alterning sentimental comedy, farce, social drama... and Andrew Davies nailed it, plus it had wonderful music and wonderful actors : I find this adaptation "faultless in spite of all its faults". I couldn't watch more than ten minutes of the 1980 BBC adaptation because Mr Bennet is shown as such an abusive, tyrannical father. I saw short extracts of the 1967 adaptation and liked them. I didn't like the 2005 adaptation at all, a sort of modern construction upon the theme, but still in costume...
- Northanger Abbey, for its staunch humour, but also more subtle with Eleanor Tinley, whose triple entendre "such a sister-in-law, Henry, I should delight in" deserves a place somewhere near Price and Prejudice opening sentence among Jane Austen's so memorable quotes; I liked very much the 2009 adaptation;
- Persuasion, so mild in rythm — just like the way of life imposed to Jane Austen herself — yet full of feelings;
- Sense and Sensibility, which 1995 adaptation I liked much, mostly for its pictural quality;
- Mansfield Park, last only because I like less dark stories; I must say there I really see Henry as a villain, and understand very well why Fanny, should she not have been in love with Edmund, would never have accepted it, seing well through him; had she accepted him, he would have after a few months, let her rot in some remote place, maybe without even any means of living, while going back to London life and seduce married women while complaining about his misfortune in having married such a bland woman; I suspect him to be, instead of the not-so-interesting Mr Wickham, the inspiration behind the character of Daniel Cleaver in Bridget Jones Diary (at least, the short extracts I saw). I have never tried to watch any adaptation.

I have not read her letter, but I did her juvenilia, Lady Susan, Sanditon and The Watsons.
I have been a fan for years and have all the books, and the DVD versions going way back.....the original PBS versions are hysterical! You can see tank traps as the charactors walk along the paths....

auser

Record Breaker
Is anyone watching the adaptation of "Sanditon" written by Andrew Davies, and currently playing on PBS in the USA? If so, what do you think?
Belated reply to your post @skylark, but yes still watching Sanditon now Season 3. I am an Austen fan... so enjoy being able to watch a program that employs her style of dialogue even if the overall/deeper writing and character is not of the quality of her books. Are you still watching? What do you think?

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Belated reply to your post @skylark, but yes still watching Sanditon now Season 3. I am an Austen fan... so enjoy being able to watch a program that employs her style of dialogue even if the overall/deeper writing and character is not of the quality of her books. Are you still watching? What do you think?
There are parts of “Sanditon” that I enjoyed very much but other aspects really bothered me, especially the implied sibling incest. It’s hard to imagine Austen putting anything like that into her novels, notwithstanding the marriage of 1st cousins Fanny and Edmund in “Mansfield Park.”

Overall, IMO “Sanditon” seems in many ways like a toned-down version of “Bridgerton.” At heart, guess I’m just a Jane Austen purist. ;)

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
There are parts of “Sanditon” that I enjoyed very much but other aspects really bothered me, especially the implied sibling incest. It’s hard to imagine Austen putting anything like that into her novels, notwithstanding the marriage of 1st cousins Fanny and Edmund in “Mansfield Park.”

Overall, IMO “Sanditon” seems in many ways like a toned-down version of “Bridgerton.” At heart, guess I’m just a Jane Austen purist. ;)
Jane Austen Purist! I guess I am not. I dont think she could write a climatic love scene to save her tush.......Just about every DVD I have of a Jane Austen work cleans up this flaw..... :rofl:
Jane Austen does put some pretty racy things in but they are muted in the backround....

An interesting effect is the use of English in the time.... When Jane tells Liz that Bingly is going to ask pop for her hand, she say, "I must go tell my mother"...when you would expect her to say, "I must go tell our mother......