French figure skaters | Golden Skate

French figure skaters

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
France has a long history of figure skating; France has annually hosted Trophée Éric Bompard, one of Grand Prix series and boosted internationally notable figure skaters such as Brian Jourbert, Surya Bonaly and so on.

I naturally expected to see a dedicated thread for French figure skaters as a whole in here, but only found pages for some of top and promising French skaters instead such as Brian Joubert, Florent Amodio, Gabriella Papadakis & Guillaume Cizeron, and Nathalie Péchalat & Fabian Bourzat. The individual threads are very good for their fans, but if we want to talk about Maé-Bérénice Méité, French national champion in Ladies' discipline, or Chafik Besseghier, bronz medalist in French mens discipline, or predict who's gonna be the next champion of France, or French skaters' possible appearances at ice shows, I feel this new thread will be good for the purposes.

So, please feel to talk about anything related to French figure skaters. Thanks!

Fan fests​

Ice Dance

Pairs

Men

Ladies

Retired skaters

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I hope someone will tell us what the French Ice Theater teams are doing this year, too!

Don't be surprised that there was no thread for French Skaters. There is still no thread for either American or Canadian skaters.

Last edited:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I thought about starting a thread like this awhile ago, great minds must think alike. :) Chafik is a very interesting skater, but I have never had much luck finding a lot of information about him online. His programs this season are two of my favorites. One reason I greatly appreciate the French skaters is that they tend to use unconventional music selections. You don't often seen them skating to POTO or Carmen...although the men seem rather fond of the Inception soundtrack this season.

Last edited:

LRK

Record Breaker
Thank you for this thread - excellent idea! I've often got a soft spot for French skaters it seems. :)

Currently James/Cipres is one of my favourite pairs. Here's an interview that I saw with them a while back, which I don't know if it was ever posted here on GS:

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2014...-cipr232s-hope-to-bring-skating-to-next-level

About their move to Moscow, the reasons for it, and what they hope to achieve this season &c. Quite interesting reading I thought.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I hope someone will tell us what the French Ice Theater teams are doing this year, too!

Don't be surprised that there was no thread for French Skaters. There is still no thread for either American or Canadian skaters.

Happy New Year! Wishing you all here great happiness and success in 2015!

I couldn't find any info regarding the show yet, so hope someone appear to bring a news about it too!

Yeah, I've noticed that there are only a few threads for national teams like Japanese, Russian, Australian, South Korean skaters

I think threads for the below listed teams should've been made a long ago
since the countries have taken major roles in the figure skating world such as popularizing figure skating to the world with many spectacular athletics. :)

Team USA
Team Canada
Team China
Team Italy
Team Swiss
Team Germany

Last edited:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I thought about starting a thread like this awhile ago, great minds must think alike. :) Chafik is a very interesting skater, but I have never had much luck finding a lot of information about him online. His programs this season are two of my favorites. One reason I greatly appreciate the French skaters is that they tend to use unconventional music selections. You don't often seen them skating to POTO or Carmen...although the men seem rather fond of the Inception soundtrack this season.

We are in common to appreciate good skaters! :)
Chafik is one of the reasons that I created this nest, so I'm really glad we can have a place to talk about not only him but also his compatriot skaters.
I love Chafik's programs this season too and agree with your opinion on their unique choice of music. Their adventurous usage of music, I think, adds more diverse charm and tastes to the figure skating world, so I admire them.

Thank you for this thread - excellent idea! I've often got a soft spot for French skaters it seems. :)

Currently James/Cipres is one of my favourite pairs. Here's an interview that I saw with them a while back, which I don't know if it was ever posted here on GS:

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2014...-cipr232s-hope-to-bring-skating-to-next-level

About their move to Moscow, the reasons for it, and what they hope to achieve this season &c. Quite interesting reading I thought.

Thank you for the info about Vanessa James and Morgan Ciprès. The team is very lovely, so I hope they achieve their goad this season.

Mia29

On the Ice

They're back in France now, they had to leave Moscow... According to them, they were treated differently in Russia because they weren't Russian.

When I will have more time, I will put the performances of Courchevel... ;)

LRK

Record Breaker
Oh, dear - that is sad to hear! I hope the rest of their season goes well anyway - but do they have a coach?

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Yes. They are with Claude Peri, Amodio's new coach... ;)

Laurine Lecavelier during the Courchevel's show (we see more the singer than her !)
https://vimeo.com/115764721
Same show. Mae Berenice Meite with "Flashdance"
https://vimeo.com/115761078
Lea Serna during Courchevel
https://vimeo.com/115760664

Thanks. I think Laurine and Lea are lovely, so hope seeing them in a big stage soon.
I find Mae's style is so refreshing and full of energy which reminds me naturally Surya!
I really want her to be on a podium beside France in the near future.:cheer:

Last edited:

LRK

Record Breaker
Yes. They are with Claude Peri, Amodio's new coach... ;)

Is this a good thing? (she asked, hesitantly) How long has Florent been with him? I mean no offence to the coach at all, since I know nothing about him, and am therefore really asking for information from those who do. :) Obviously Florent's problems started well before this season - last one was no joke! - but I don't know at what rate he is improving or indeed IF he is improving (have not seen French Nationals). Of course, I don't even know what his problems ARE exactly, and if they are fixable by any coach - does anyone know what has been happening with him? If he were a passable skater, and was skating up to his potential, I wouldn't be asking this, but... he so clearly is not - he is clearly so much better than what he is showing us now, that I just find the whole situation.... :scratch:

Mattieu

Medalist
but I don't know at what rate he is improving or indeed IF he is improving (have not seen French Nationals). Of course, I don't even know what his problems ARE exactly, and if they are fixable by any coach - does anyone know what has been happening with him? If he were a passable skater, and was skating up to his potential, I wouldn't be asking this, but... he so clearly is not - he is clearly so much better than what he is showing us now, that I just find the whole situation.... :scratch:

At nationals I feel he took a step in the right direction. He is certainly more humble now, which is going to help him greatly.
I think he will rebuild and be all the better skater for this black period.
I for one have not given up on him. Go Florent!!

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Last edited:

LRK

Record Breaker
At nationals I feel he took a step in the right direction. He is certainly more humble now, which is going to help him greatly.
I think he will rebuild and be all the better skater for this black period.
I for one have not given up on him. Go Florent!!

I'm so glad to hear this. No, indeed - I shan't give up on him either, I wish him all the best. :)

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Thank you, Mia29 and demarin5 for the videos.

I like Mae-Berenice and I like Flashdance, but I wished there was a little more of the Flashdance choreography in her program. The random breakdancing dude was kind of odd. And who was the woman in the wheelchair in Chafik's program...just a random audience member, or someone he knew?

As for Florent, I will always remember how giddy he was when he won Euros in 2011. It would be great to see something like that again, but my impression (based partly on his reaction when he did win) is that he doesn't feel like he is worthy of being a champion. Of course, it's just the armchair psychologist in me talking. I believe that a comeback is always possible, so I still root for him.

Mia29

On the Ice
And who was the woman in the wheelchair in Chafik's program...just a random audience member, or someone he knew?

I read it's Nathalie Pechalat's mother, who hasn't disabilities but "simply" (we aren't doctors so we doesn't know what is the real situation) has an injured foot ;)

I don’t know what to think about the nationals and Amodio. If he’s on the good way or if it was just a reaction of pride after the words of the federation and Bourzat?