Who is going to US Nationals in Greensboro? | Golden Skate

Who is going to US Nationals in Greensboro?

babyskate

On the Ice
I decided to use my frequent flyer miles and booked a flight to Greensboro for the weekend of Nationals. I was there in 2011 and it was a great event and crowd. Anyone else planning on going?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I am. 2011 was great. The venue was good, with the practices as convenient as the main rink. And the crowd was really nice too.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I'm planning on being in Greensboro on Monday. Getting to Boston in January 2014 was a disaster which I hope does not repeat. Most likely I won't go over to the Coliseum until Tuesday morning. Getting excited!

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I will be there on Monday morning, maybe in time for Novice free dance practice, if the airline gods are kind.....
Cant wait to see the new seats that replaced those 1940 monstrosities they had last time. Its a great venue, with a fan fest with real food.
I like the Doubletree with all those lovely restaurants around and the shuttle to get to them from the arena.
(Last time, the secondary rink was cold, so layer as usual)

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I noticed yesterday that the Greensboro LOC has more information posted about FanFest. Here is the link: http://www.northcarolina2015.com/EventInfo/FanFest.aspx

They haven't listed all the activities yet, but last time there was quite a bit of fun stuff and things children would really like. The only thing that really puzzles me is the shorter hours.

The café that was in the FanFest area was a great place to eat and also you could go over to the secondary rink and watch whatever is happening. This time around the FanFest is closed on the first weekend and then closes during the week as early as 6:00 p.m. most days. Bummer...no chance to eat down there for a later meal. The café had really good real food and was reasonably priced. It seemed to do a huge business so I am surprised that it is closing so early.

When I was looking over the options to go from the airport to my hotel, I found this link: http://www.partnc.org/ This is the Piedmont Authority Regional Transit which operates bus service to the airport. On the webpage there is also a phone number for more information. I'm really not into using a bus for this, but it seems like a low cost option if anyone is interested.

Last edited:

Skating Gator

Rinkside
HI all! We are so excited, this will be our 2nd time to nationals. Can anyone tell me if the practice sessions at the secondary rink are free/open?

Thank you :)

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Practices in the secondary rink are free and open to the public according to the Local Organizing Committee. The FanFest is also located in the same area as well as a "café" for food and beverages. The FanFest will not be open over the first weekend and closes early. For more information about FanFest look at the link I posted in #5 above. The secondary rink was kind of cold in 2011 so remember to wear layers!

HI all! We are so excited, this will be our 2nd time to nationals. Can anyone tell me if the practice sessions at the secondary rink are free/open?

Thank you :)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Sorry that I'll be missing out on all the action this year! Have fun everyone!

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I can't remember if it was 20 or 30 minutes on the 2011 schedule. I do think 30 minutes would be a lot more reasonable...especially from Wednesday on. What happened in Boston in 2014 was that the bus would almost fill up at the first hotel and then it would get to my hotel (the Seaport) only a few people out of the 10 or 20 waiting would be able to get on. I was one of the four people who got on Thursday morning and don't know how long the others had to wait for a shuttle that wasn't full. I think it was on the last day 3 shuttles went by full and there must have been 40 of us waiting at the Seaport. Finally, someone must have called - maybe a bus driver - an empty bus picked us up. I hope that Greensboro has some sort of plan to deal with this.

I do think coming out of the arena at the end of the evening that the buses will be lined up and things will go smoothly.

Thanks, M. I cant remember the old schedule but I thought it was every half hour....no real problem...just takes more planning...but at the end of each day, I bet they will just line up the buses like they did last time and fill them up and drop folks off....

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
More about the shuttle schedule! In looking at the early morning practices I am confused about the Doubletree/Hampton bus.

Tuesday the bus starts at 6:45 - apparently from the Sheraton. What time does the bus leave the Doubletree? If the Doubletree schedule is on the hour, does that mean that bus starts at 7:00 and then 7:10 at the Hampton? If it is running like that - Tuesday morning I'll miss most of the first practice for Jr. Dance. Same problem on Wednesday when I'll miss the first Sr. Men's practice.

How do you think this is supposed to work?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... at the end of each day, I bet they will just line up the buses like they did last time and fill them up and drop folks off....

.... I do think coming out of the arena at the end of the evening that the buses will be lined up and things will go smoothly.

Per @NCarolina2015 today, re shuttles:

... Yes, at the end of the night on the final few days there will be multiple buses lined up to get everyone back to hotel.
10:22 AM - 9 Jan 2015
https://twitter.com/NCarolina2015/status/553617719875371008

... Feel free to contact our office with concerns.
10:23 AM - 9 Jan 2015
https://twitter.com/NCarolina2015/status/553618061899878401

Hope everyone going has an enjoyable trip. Look forward to hearing your reports.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I've asked twice what time the first bus leaves the Doubletree and the only answer I've gotten from the LOC is that the Doubletree bus leaves at :00. They have not indicated whether the first bus from the Doubletree leaves at 6:00 a.m. or 7:00 a.m. on Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday. On Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday the first bus from the Sheraton leaves at 6:45 a.m. Could someone on twitter ask this question for me? I'm not on twitter and will not email the LOC again about this. The LOC website does now say that the first bus from the Doubletree on Monday and Thursday will be at 7:00 a.m. I absolutely can't understand why they won't say what the first scheduled bus is for the remainder of the week.

I was very impressed with the LOC in 2011. Sadly I am not impressed with the LOC this time. No matter what, I will love watching the skating.

Per @NCarolina2015 today, re shuttles:

... Yes, at the end of the night on the final few days there will be multiple buses lined up to get everyone back to hotel.
10:22 AM - 9 Jan 2015
https://twitter.com/NCarolina2015/status/553617719875371008

... Feel free to contact our office with concerns.
10:23 AM - 9 Jan 2015
https://twitter.com/NCarolina2015/status/553618061899878401

Hope everyone going has an enjoyable trip. Look forward to hearing your reports.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We're going. Seats are in Section 123. Can we do a little roll call of where everyone is sitting? Hopefully a number of us can meet up @ some point!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
We're in the handicapped seating above the judges' seats. I think it is section 109.

Last edited:

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I'm in section 124, handicapped seating. I believe I am across from the judges.

I was also hoping we could get together, but there doesn't seem to be any time on the schedule for a get together. Saturday morning breakfast or between the Mens final and the Gala on Sunday might work but would still be a tight fit for anyone going to the Gala.

Doris you will need your binoculars so you can see the judges computer displays!

Last edited: