2015 US Nationals TV and Webstream Schedules | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2015 US Nationals TV and Webstream Schedules

LauraV

On the Ice
Thanks to golden, Doris, Stich, Sabinfire and everyone in this thread who has contributed information about the upcoming broadcasts!

I'm excited for nationals, and I am delighted that NBC has added the previews. I hope they'll be good shows - best option would involve the rebroadcast of outstanding singles programs from the GPF season and, even better, broadcasts of pairs and dance programs that NBC didn't show during the season. I'm hoping for insightful commentary and plenty of context. Will I get what I hope for? Who knows, but I do know I'll be watching......

ice coverage

Record Breaker
‏@NCarolina2015
Construction of the WFMY News 2 Rink has begun!
Check out
http://live1.brownrice.com/clients/wfmy21.html for live 24/7 footage!
7:19 AM - 12 Jan 2015
https://twitter.com/NCarolina2015/status/554658871512662017

Stupid question:
Is the stream showing construction of the competition rink?
At first, I thought it might be the practice rink -- and wondered whether there would be any chance that the live cam would be brought back up once official practices start.

In agreement that premature evaluation of the "preview show" is unfounded, since we do not know for certain the content of the broadcast yet.

Also, in agreement to a lesser extent that "anything is better than nothing", although I personally take issue with that type of scarcity mindset when applied towards pretty much anything. Sure, if you're homeless and starving, any food is better than nothing. I would hope that the situation with figure skating is not quite that dire in the minds of folks here, or in reality, but perhaps it is...

If folks never voiced their dissatisfaction over what they view to be a sub-par product/service, it is very unlikely they will receive anything better in the future. Although, beggars cannot be choosers... and maybe we are beggars here? :confused2:

As someone who has watched all of NBC's coverage of figure skating this season (and even dissected parts of it to great lengths in another thread here), I simply cannot proceed this year with a glass half-full outlook. NBC has not given me any hope that their coverage will take a sudden 180 degree turn and provide us with fresh/interesting coverage for this event, although it is certainly a possibility. Maybe the fact that this is U.S. Nationals will mean that NBC will gladly devote more time & budget to this particular event, comparatively speaking. That would be wonderful if that ended up being the case, and I would love to have a positive outlook for NBC's coverage of figure skating going forward, but if the past is any indication of the future -- it is difficult for me to be overly optimistic.

Just wanted to add a bit of explanation here, golden411, since I am one of those folks who have been skeptical of NBC's upcoming broadcasts this year. And while it is wonderful that NBC is "adding two hours" of air-time, there's no implication that this additional time will actually be devoted to new/unseen figure skating programs. Since the main events at Nationals are yet to begin, my assumption would be that NBC would be re-airing old clips of past performances. While there is nothing inherently 'wrong' with that, I would prefer to see something fresh, or even have those 2 hours of air-time added to the actual Nationals coverage, or added to another upcoming event, or used it to air SPs, ID, & Pairs during the weekend of the actual events occurring, rather than re-airing them months/years later...

That is just my humble opinion. Maybe I am being too demanding, living in an unrealistic world, putting the cart in front of the horse... I am not a casual skating fan...

The last words of your post are the crux of the issue, sabinfire. Your comment that you are not a casual skating fan is a huge understatement. You are in a league of your own as a super-dedicated fan, even compared to other GS diehards.
OTOH, I am most definitely only a casual skating fan. Thus the difference in our outlooks on the NBC preview hours.

To your credit :bow:, you have pored over just about every frame of this season's GP coverage that exists on the planet. (And generously have shared much of it. Thanks again.)
You have listened to every word of commentary from multiple sources: NBC and CBC, at the very least. Likely also British Eurosport, icenetwork, ESPN, Universal Sports. Maybe Russian commentary too? I am not being sarcastic -- I am in awe of your insatiable thirst for skating content. :bow: (I don't know what other languages you know besides English and Russian.)
And I am not being sarcastic when I say that your knowledge base prob. far exceeds Weir/Lipinkski/Gannon/Wilson's -- not to mention any NBC producer's.

All of which is great, except it means that any network (not just NBC) would be hard-pressed to show you any skating video that you haven't already seen or to provide any "fresh" "bkgd" or analysis that you have not already heard or thought of yourself.

I would note also that NBC is between a rock and a hard place in trying to use the preview hours to reach out (as they should) to new viewers -- those who sort of recall a YT video of some nameless ponytailed guy skating to Riverdance, but who have forgotten (or never knew) whether he went to the Olympics -- as well as to whet the appetites of existing fans.

As a casual fan, I have not watched the programs of even my favorite Americans more than once or twice. If the NBC previews show them (in part or in full) again, I would be glad to see them. And I have never gotten around to viewing numerous Team USA programs even for a first time, even from podium contenders. So if the preview hours fill in some of those gaps for me, I will be a happy camper.

One thing I don't understand from posts by you as well as others:
Have you not watched certain "important" programs more than once over the course of the season? (Meaning re-watching the exact same video of a certain program from a specific source?)
Even if you as one particular viewer have no "need" or desire to see any of NBC's video again, seems perfectly reasonable to me for NBC to show some footage that it already has aired earlier in the season -- to give a casual fan like me a chance for a second (or maybe even a first) look.​

Anyway, YMMV. Thanks for your many contributions to GS.

... Also, I am curious if any interviews or fluff pieces we may see during the preview show may end up being re-aired during the weekend coverage of Nationals?

Just thinking out-loud...

Re-purposing of video happens all the time on all networks -- in coverage of sports, entertainment, news, etc.
So no cause for surprise or disappointment, IMO.
If interviews or fluff pieces that have appeared in one form in the NBC preview hours show up again during the weekend of live coverage, I do hope that NBC would re-cut them to include some previously unseen video.

Last edited:

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
What you are seeing on the live cam is construction of the secondary rink where some practices and some competitions will be held. Some of the championship (senior level) practices will be in this rink. All of the championship level competitions will be upstairs and in the main arena.

Here is a link to a diagram: http://www.northcarolina2015.com/EventInfo.aspx

The rink you are seeing on the live stream is labeled wfmy news2 rink. The championship rink with permanent seating (and lots more seats) is in another part of the complex and labeled Championship Rink on this diagram. The nice part is that you can move back and forth and never have to go outside...it is all enclosed.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
What you are seeing on the live cam is construction of the secondary rink where some practices and some competitions will be held. Some of the championship (senior level) practices will be in this rink. All of the championship level competitions will be upstairs and in the main arena.

Here is a link to a diagram: http://www.northcarolina2015.com/EventInfo.aspx

The rink you are seeing on the live stream is labeled wfmy news2 rink. The championship rink with permanent seating (and lots more seats) is in another part of the complex and labeled Championship Rink on this diagram. The nice part is that you can move back and forth and never have to go outside...it is all enclosed.

Thx very much for the clear-cut answer, MF. :)
[At first glance, it did strike me as too small for the main rink, but then I didn't trust my instincts and wondered whether appearances were deceiving. :hopelessness:]

ETA, I see now that USFS had tweeted a photo showing that the main rink has been ready since December. via @paige_rydberg)​

Anyway, regarding my wishful thinking:
In 2011, was any live streaming of practices offered?​

Last edited:

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Sorry golden411 I was at the event in 2011 and have no idea if streaming was offered.

macy

Record Breaker
if anyone knows of anywhere else other than icenetwork offering livestreams, please post :) i would greatly appreciate it as i don't like to give them my money anymore. hasn't been worth the money in a few years.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It is possible that either Japanese TV or Russian TV may broadcast US Nationals. They have sometimes in the past. If so, the usual TV apps and livestreams may pop up. Keep tuned to this thread ;)

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
if anyone knows of anywhere else other than icenetwork offering livestreams, please post :) i would greatly appreciate it as i don't like to give them my money anymore. hasn't been worth the money in a few years.

ITA, although I still give money to IceNetwork to support the concept, and they typically offer the highest quality, consistent, and reliable livestreams of all events they offer. Other than that, the site is a complete atrocity and needs a lot of work.

Would anyone be interested in a livestream of NBC's coverage? :confused: I think I have the capacity to do it, for most of the coverage at least.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
ITA, although I still give money to IceNetwork to support the concept, and they typically offer the highest quality, consistent, and reliable livestreams of all events they offer. Other than that, the site is a complete atrocity and needs a lot of work.

Would anyone be interested in a livestream of NBC's coverage? :confused: I think I have the capacity to do it, for most of the coverage at least.

Some streams of the NBC broadcast did pop up at least for Skate America. It looks like it was website(s) that somewhat regularly just steam east coast feeds. So I am hoping that we will find similar links again (the east coast commercials kept my better half a bit confused:biggrin:). It might not be a bad idea to have the option if it is easy for you. I suspect others will be looking for it as the NBC stuff I don't think is on IceNetwork live. I suspect there might be some cord cutters around that don't have access to NBC that would appreciate it. If there is interest from the board, I am happy to help troubleshoot with you or anyone else with getting it all going. Maybe we should all just go invade local bars and be whinny enough they put it on!

I do find it a bit bemusing that the competition aired in the country I live in on TV may end up being the hardest for me to watch. . . but hey, what's life without a little confusion.

charmblade

Final Flight
I do find it a bit bemusing that the competition aired in the country I live in on TV may end up being the hardest for me to watch. . . but hey, what's life without a little confusion.

I completely agree with this. Even with an Icenetwork subscription, one of the most interesting events of the year could be completely inaccessible if you don't have a regular tv, which a lot of people don't. Or if, for example, you happen to be busy when it airs on NBC you will have to wait until the following Tuesday before IN will be posting it online. I am actually lucky because right now our TV antenna is only picking up one channel, which just happens to be NBC. So I should be able to watch it with no problem, but if it was on any other network I would be scrambling to find other options.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Just remember to check LOCAL listings for the preview show (s). My skating DVD provider pointed out to me that there WAS a preview show and the local affiliate switched times/days so people could watch Gonazga Basket Ball....
Chris who will (hopefully) be "up in the Air" on Sunday.

OMG, I have to remember to set the DVR for Downer Abby!!!!:shocked: Please, someone give Edith some happiness!

Just found out that it is very unclear what the local Spokane NBC affiliate will show of the Skating on Saturday....They will show something at 8-11 Pacific time....8-11 Eastern time is another matter....will check back in a few days on the local schedule for Sat and sun.

Last edited:

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Some streams of the NBC broadcast did pop up at least for Skate America. It looks like it was website(s) that somewhat regularly just steam east coast feeds. So I am hoping that we will find similar links again (the east coast commercials kept my better half a bit confused:biggrin:). It might not be a bad idea to have the option if it is easy for you. I suspect others will be looking for it as the NBC stuff I don't think is on IceNetwork live. I suspect there might be some cord cutters around that don't have access to NBC that would appreciate it. If there is interest from the board, I am happy to help troubleshoot with you or anyone else with getting it all going.

Maybe I can set up a "dry run" this weekend and attempt live-streaming the NBC Preview show(s), just to see how it functions and ensure functionality by Nationals.

I am curious what the output quality will look like, though I suspect the main driver behind that will be my upload bandwidth and overall internet connection quality at the time.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Maybe I can set up a "dry run" this weekend and attempt live-streaming the NBC Preview show(s), just to see how it functions and ensure functionality by Nationals.

I am curious what the output quality will look like, though I suspect the main driver behind that will be my upload bandwidth and overall internet connection quality at the time.

Not a bad idea at all. I'll do what I can do give feedback. Anyway I can try to help if I can, at least get an idea of if it is working and how it works. Dry runs when it comes to computer stuff is always wise!

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Not a bad idea at all. I'll do what I can do give feedback. Anyway I can try to help if I can, at least get an idea of if it is working and how it works. Dry runs when it comes to computer stuff is always wise!

Doing a bit of preliminary testing of various live-streaming services...

Someone, anyone... tell me what you see here, and how does it look, quality-wise?

GS fan - US Nats (nothing figure skating related here, atm)

Carolla5501

On the Ice
Doing a bit of preliminary testing of various live-streaming services... Someone, anyone... tell me what you see here, and how does it look, quality-wise? GS fan - US Nats (nothing figure skating related here, atm)

I see staff but I couldn't hear anything. When I looked it was mainly commercials so I didn't really care

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Hmm... I'm going off-air for a few minutes, I'll be live-streaming some figure skating footage soon. Maybe that will be a better test.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Doing a bit of preliminary testing of various live-streaming services...

Someone, anyone... tell me what you see here, and how does it look, quality-wise?

GS fan - US Nats (nothing figure skating related here, atm)

it looks great for me. I have CNN showing. Looks closer to HD than standard youtube. Sound works. Honestly better than most streams so far. And then it suddenly stopped all of a sudden. While it was going it was smooth and lovely.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Okay, back on-air with figure skating.

Tell me what you see/hear, and what does it look like?

GS fan - US Nats

Still working well for me. Actually, it kicked in on its own when you started up again. I think the sound is synced up correctly. A little hard to tell with Machida's program given how long he takes to start. But the audience sighed when he fell timed right. So far this is looking great!

Edit

Sample screenshot if anyone is interested.

Edit two

In case sabinfire was curious to know what we all were seeing a non-full screen screen shot Does not looks like it is sharing anything personal, but wanted to give you a peek.

Last edited:

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Oh wow, that is nice! I didn't expect that at all. Thanks for the screenshot.