2015 ISU Championships Predictions Game (Rules) | Golden Skate

2015 ISU Championships Predictions Game (Rules)

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
As it is only 3 weeks until the start of the European Championships, it seemed an appropriate time to get the 2015 ISU Championships Predictions Game underway.

For most of the ISU Championships Predictions Game, the rules are EXACTLY the same as those used for this season’s National Championships Predictions Game. The only difference is that we don’t need the clauses for competitions with small entries, or non-scoring rounds.

Before starting the Nationals Game this season I held a consultation, and having thought about the opinions expressed, I decided to do things a little bit different this season. Not vastly different, you will be glad to hear. Only slightly.

The Rules are still largely the same as for the GP Predictions Game. So, like last year, I will use tulosai’s explanation as the basis, but will not use quotes this time as I have added a few clauses.

Rules (pretty much the same as last year):

1. Guess the top 6 finisher in each discipline at each ISU Championship. Each event will have it's own dedicated thread in which to make predictions. For handiness, I will provide a list of the entries in the first post in each of these threads.

2. Only the top 5 guesses of each person will be scored. The 6th person you guess will be an alternate in case one of the 5 skaters you pick withdraws or can't compete at the last minute.

3. You can change or make your predictions until one hour before the first event at each championship event starts. If the pairs are first and they start at 7pm EST, you have until 6pm EST to make all predictions.

Late Entries

• In the event of predictions being submitted late, only those predictions for competitions that have not yet started will count.

So, using the European SP timetable (Men's, then Dance, then Ladies and finally Pairs) as an example:

If you submit your predictions in between Dance and Ladies, then your predictions for BOTH Ladies and Pairs will count towards the Game.​

If you submit your predictions during the Ladies competition (even if your skaters have not yet taken to the ice), then ONLY your predictions for Pairs will count towards the Game.​

World Team Trophy

The final round of the ISU Championships Predictions Game this year is the World Team Trophy. Unlike the Olympic Team Event last season, each country will have 2 entries in each category, and we will know who is competing in advance.

Consequently, we will be able to make predictions for each category as normal. However, we will ALSO be predicting on the overall Team result.

So, for the WTT, the following amendment to the rules will apply:

1. Since there are only six countries competing, and we only have one entry per country in Pairs and Dance, the Top 6 predictions will be scored in ALL categories.

Scoring

Each correct guess is worth 15 points. If you guess Mao will be first and she is first, that is 15 points. If you guess Mirai is 5th and she is 5th, that is 15 points.

Each guess that is one placement off is worth 10 points. If you guess Ashley is 2nd and she is 1st, you get 10 points. If you guess Gracie is 5th and she is 6th, you get 10 points.

Each guess that is two placements off is worth 5 points. If you guess Akiko is 4th and she in 2nd, you get 5 points. If you guess Tukt is 3rd and she is 5th you get 5 points.

World Championships

For the penultimate round of the ISU Championships Predictions Game (the World Championships), the rules are the same as usual EXCEPT for the points scored.

1. As this Championship is the most prestigious in Figure Skating, there will be DOUBLE POINTS on offer. So, it will be:

30 points for guessing right;
    20 points for 1 place out;
    10 points for 2 places out.

2. If you get the podium correct in any discipline, you will get a 30 point bonus.

3. If you get all five predictions correct, you will get a 50 point bonus.

Consequently, you can earn up to 800 points for this round. (Thank you to Mrs. P for the idea of giving bonus points!)​

So, after careful consideration, these are the Championships that have been selected as rounds for the Predictions Game:

ISU Championships Game

Round 1: European Championships (26[SUP]th[/SUP] January – 1[SUP]st[/SUP] February 2015)
Round 2: Winter Universiade (4[SUP]th[/SUP] – 8[SUP]th[/SUP] February 2015)
Round 3: Four Continents (9[SUP]th[/SUP] – 15[SUP]th[/SUP] February 2015)
Round 4: World Championships (23[SUP]rd[/SUP] – 29[SUP]th[/SUP] March 2015)
Round 5: World Team Trophy (16[SUP]th[/SUP] – 19[SUP]th[/SUP] April 2015)

This thread will be available for general discussion about the game, and for analysing how the game is progressing. But, please keep the predictions and subsequent discussion about each event in the specific thread for that event:

European Championships: Predictions Game Round 1
Winter Universiade: Predictions Game Round 2
Four Continents Championships: Predictions Game Round 3
World Championships: Predictions Game Round 4
World Team Trophy: Predictions Game Round 5

Thank you so much to Mrs. P and the scorers of this year’s GP and Nationals Games for making it such a success. This new game would not have been possible without you!

Good luck everybody!

CaroLiza_fan

EDIT (12[SUP]th[/SUP] Jan 2015): The spreadsheet is now up and running, and can be found at:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NjvnB750HLG1PDrklVAylWHeWTR9guoKlsAmz2RtlqM/edit?usp=sharing

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Just wanted to let you know that I have made a few changes to the original post.

Firstly, I have introduced some revised rules for the final round of the ISU Predictions Game, the World Team Trophy. Basically, we will now be predicting on the individual categories as normal AS WELL AS predicting on where ALL SIX COUNTRIES will finish in the overall Team result.

Secondly, the Predictions thread for the European Championships has now been created.

Finally, the spreadsheet has now been created.

Hope this helps

CaroLiza_fan

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Thanks for taking this on! I might make a comeback as a participant! :)

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Are you using the same scorers for this round?

I am going to e-mail you and all the other scorers from the Nationals Game tomorrow (Saturday) morning about a few things. And the ISU Game is going to be one of the topics I raise.

Hope this helps

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
As there has been demand for a Predictions Game for the Junior World Championships, I have now created a Predictions thread for it.

There will be a Junior Worlds page added to the spreadsheet within the next few days.

HOWEVER, since this is a last minute decision, Junior Worlds will be a stand-alone Predictions Game rather than a round of the ISU Championships Game.

So, anybody that wants to play can do so. But anybody that doesn't play (be it because they didn't spot the predictions thread in time, or simply aren't interested in Junior competitions) will NOT be at a disadvantage in the ISU Championships Game.

I hope everything is clear, and good luck to those that play

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Just to let you know, after some discussion in the WTT Predictions thread, there has been a slight amendment to the planned rules for the final round of the Predictions Game.

The original plan was to have 5 entries scoring for each category as per the normal rules, and then have all 6 countries scoring in the overall Team results.

However, I had forgotten that, whereas there are two entries per country in the singles categories, there is only one entry per country in the couples categories.

With only 6 entries in Pairs and Dance, it seems a bit silly to have 5 entries scoring, and 1 entry not.

Consequently, it has been agreed that the Top 6 predictions will now be scored in ALL categories.

I have amended the Original Post in this thread accordingly.

Sorry if this has caused any inconvenience.

CaroLiza_fan