Polina Edmunds - 2015 USA National Champion? Will She Do it? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Polina Edmunds - 2015 USA National Champion? Will She Do it?

humbaba

Final Flight
I'm a big Polina fan and would love to see her on the podium at nationals. However, the gold is probably a long shot this year. That's okay; I'd be happy to see Polina get silver or bronze. There is such a thing as "too much too soon" in skating.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I thought the original post would be more fitting to Polina's fan fest thread, because we all know that she has been struggling in the Grand Prix series this season.
I wish all the best for her since she is adorable and I love her programs, but 3rd placement would be a more realistic goal for her at this point.

RABID

Final Flight
I thought the original post would be more fitting to Polina's fan fest thread, because we all know that she has been struggling in the Grand Prix series this season.
I wish all the best for her since she is adorable and I love her programs, but 3rd placement would be a more realistic goal for her at this point.

Sadly, I have to agree. She was really making progress last year after Nationals right up to and including Worlds. But she has been rather static this season. I would be happy just seeing some real growth in her presentation regardless whether she is clean or not. Perhaps Nationals will hold a special place for her and will inspire her to reach new levels of excellence. Crossing my fingers.

Icey

Record Breaker
I don't think she will even be on the podium this year. I see her finishing 5th or 6th.

tripletwizzle

Rinkside
I think it's totally possible. She won silver last year with no senior international rep whatsoever, Gracie's skating is not at the same level of quality as it was this time last year & Ashley is prone to major mistakes at Nats so it's definitely doable imo. She has the jumps in her, so we'll see if she can step up one place further than last year....

R.D.

Record Breaker
While within the realm of possibility, it's an extremely unlikely scenario. It would be quite the upset.

mskater93

Record Breaker
I think it's totally possible. She won silver last year with no senior international rep whatsoever, Gracie's skating is not at the same level of quality as it was this time last year & Ashley is prone to major mistakes at Nats so it's definitely doable imo. She has the jumps in her, so we'll see if she can step up one place further than last year....

Have you seen her GPs? She's having UR, "e", "!", etc issues this year. Gracie's WORST score is ~15-20 points higher this year

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

How do you figure Gracie's quality is not as good as it was last year at this time? Gracie won her last competition at NHK while last season she only finished a poor 4th at NHK before Nationals. Now i don't expect her to skate as well at Nationals as she did last year because of the injury which set her back and also with the pressure of being the defending champion but she was clearly not the favorite going into Nationals last year with the way she had been skating all season.

Last edited:

StylishDreaming

Rinkside
Honestly, I don't think this is Polina's season. We saw how much she struggled on the Grand Prix circuit and even she admitted that puberty was taking its toll on her. It's likely she will still land on the podium at Nationals, but I don't see her placing higher than third even with mistakes from Ashley and Gracie. IMO she needs at least the rest of the season and the off-season to get her jumps to where they were last year, or maybe rework her technique (i.e., fixing those edge issues). She certainly has the potential to be a well-rounded skater, but she has a ways to go before she's national champion material.

Last edited:

Gia_Sesshoumaru

On the Ice
Country
United-States
No, Polina's not even a factor in my opinion. A factor for the podium, sure, but even that is a stretch. In my opinion, there a lot of other ladies who have done better than Edmunds this season. The gold come down between Wagner and Gold.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Remember though, it's really not about how she's done this season - it's what she is capable of.

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
:) YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go Polina!!! :cheer:

She is the simply the best = best technique ( two tripletriple combos and two lutz and two flips in her long) and best presentation ( ethereal! refined! balletic!)

Gracie+Ashley are impressive, but just not as good skaters, overall?!:think:

Agree or disagree? :think:

Have you looked at her scoresheet recently, or are you still in the 2014 Nationals/Sochi hangover? ;) But who knows, maybe Polina will suprise us!

tripletwizzle

Rinkside
How do you figure Gracie's quality is not as good as it was last year at this time? Gracie won her last competition at NHK while last season she only finished a poor 4th at NHK before Nationals. Now i don't expect her to skate as well at Nationals as she did last year because of the injury which set her back and also with the pressure of being the defending champion but she was clearly not the favorite going into Nationals last year with the way she had been skating all season.

Doubling jumps, messing up spins, the 2A in particular has suffered imo.

tripletwizzle

Rinkside
Have you seen her GPs? She's having UR, "e", "!", etc issues this year. Gracie's WORST score is ~15-20 points higher this year

I did see her GPs & I'm not ready to write her off totally based on that...imo both Ashley & Gracie have shown they are vulnerable. She might not win but I don't think she's gonna completely crash & be 8th-ish as some are predicting...time will tell...

humbaba

Final Flight
I did see her GPs & I'm not ready to write her off totally based on that...imo both Ashley & Gracie have shown they are vulnerable. She might not win but I don't think she's gonna completely crash & be 8th-ish as some are predicting...time will tell...

I agree. Some people are talking as if Polina stunk up the joint every time she stepped on the GP ice. That's just not true. The NHK short was the only program I would consider a bona fide disaster. She fell on the combo in the short at COC but recovered for the rest of the program. Polina skated strong free programs at both her GPs.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I did see her [Edmunds'] GPs & I'm not ready to write her off totally based on that...imo both Ashley & Gracie have shown they are vulnerable. She might not win but I don't think she's gonna completely crash & be 8th-ish as some are predicting...time will tell...

I agree. It would be a mistake to count her out so soon. Even if it's not her year this year, she is still young.

Globetrotter

Medalist
I don't think this will be her year. The puberty issue is clearly causing her some inconsistency in her 3F and those UR jumps will be a major point loser. It will take a while to readjust. I think her basics are decent, so it should come back in time.