2015 US Nationals Senior Short Dance Jan 23 | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2015 US Nationals Senior Short Dance Jan 23

caitie

Medalist
Ok. all four groups done and yes, shockingly, correct placements. Good job judges.

One thing about Aldredge and Eaton. What I thought was interesting and revealing was Charlie's first comment about them was, Great skating skills. And they do have them. What is interesting (to me at least) is what he didn't say--which is that the performance isn't up to the level of the skating skills. And I think a good part of that is the music selections this year. Aldredge does not on the ice come across as fiery or flirty or passionate. She comes across as a quintessential American girl next door. So what music is she skating to? Carmen and Gone with the Wind, featuring two of the most fiery, flirty and passionate female characters in all of the arts. Hello? Am I the only one who sees a fundamental problem with this? Eaton has a presence on the ice, but alas she is still lacking one. I would send her to take some acting classes, to help bring her out of herself. They are a good example of the problem that even the best skating skills can only take you so far.

YMMV of course.

This is spot-on. Their coaches didn't do a good job with their senior debut last year, and Marina hasn't done any better.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Got up early in the hope that I could watch the Short Dance before the LIVE ski jumping came on.

Just watched the first group (thank you sabinfire)

Firstly, what on earth was Tory Patsis wearing?! :eek:

Secondly, I feel really sorry for cheerknithanson's friend, Gabriela Morell Zucker, after her partner's fall put them at the bottom after their group. Hopefully things will go better in the FD.

Can I just say, Charlie White has the makings of a great commentator. The only complaint I could make is that he is maybe talking slightly too much during the routines. But, he's only learning. I don't think anybody can get the balance right their first time.

I really hope some broadcaster gives him a permanent seat in the commentary box.

Keep up the good work, Charlie!

CaroLiza_fan

Alba

Record Breaker
Aldredge does not on the ice come across as fiery or flirty or passionate. She comes across as a quintessential American girl next door. So what music is she skating to? Carmen and Gone with the Wind, featuring two of the most fiery, flirty and passionate female characters in all of the arts. Hello? Am I the only one who sees a fundamental problem with this?

I fully agree with you. I think both choices are a big mistake for this couple. I have no idea what went on Marina's head, unless they insisted on both choices?

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Aw, I wish I could listen to Meryl and Charlie at the same time.

I really liked that feed last year that showed the elements and levels and what's under review. They really need to put that info on the screen IMO, it would make the scoring seem less arbitrary and surprising!

Hell no!

The lack of graphics on the screen is what I am enjoying the most about the Ice Network coverage. I find the TES box in the corner during the ISU events incredibly distracting.

Getting back to the skating. I forgot to say in my Group 1 comment that I hated the violin version of "I'm A Pirate" that Zucker / Sitiks used. The full orchestra version would have sounded a LOT better.

Group 2. Well, both costumes from Ponomaryova and Altukhov were wild! I know Nicky Slater keeps going on about having continuity between the 2 costumes, but it would have looked a lot better if Oleg hadn't that bit of material from Kseniya's skirt under his suit jacket.

And I agree with those that said that Jean-Luc Baker should get rid of the beard. He is so baby-faced that he doesn't suit it!

Jean-Luc and Kaitlyn were great, and deserve the big lead they have. It will be really intersting to see where they finish up, as I suspect that they could claim some significant scalps.

Looking forward to the final 2 groups, particularly Madison and Evan up next.

CaroLiza_Fan

caitie

Medalist
Hell no!

The lack of graphics on the screen is what I am enjoying the most about the Ice Network coverage. I find the TES box in the corner during the ISU events incredibly distracting.

I don't like the TES box either, but I'd love for a list of all the elements to pop up on screen once the program is over and the green ones are the ones not being reviewed and the red ones are the ones being reviewed, then we can see the numbers of the levels as they come in, etc. and by the time we hear the score it will actually have a context!

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
What happened with Bates & Samuelson? More drama? :popcorn:

She waited for him for a entire season while he recover over a lession (they made a mistake and she cut her tendons on practice after 2010 Olympics)... just to tell her he got a new partner. She got late to find a new partner and coach, after one season gave up competitive skating, now she just do shows.

It sounds like Emily is doing great though. I think she is in graduate school.

I really liked Emily and Evan, but I wasn't following figure skating news back then, so I never heard how they split.

Evan has gone WAY down in my estimations now!

As for Emily, she was actually one of the first skaters that I added on Facebook. And although she stopped updating that Facebook profile last year, I too got the impression that she has been doing great. Last I heard she was still in full time education, but that may have changed by now.

I should add - Emily has been doing the shows as a Singles skater rather than as a Dancer. I never understood why, but after hearing the story of her breakup with Evan, I can totally understand her disillusionment about getting a new partner.

Group 3. What can I say. It was electric! Although I may have gone off Evan, there is no denying that him and Madison earned their lead. They were brilliant (as they have been all season!)

I know the Shibs have had a real resurgence this season, but I really was not expecting them to be quite THAT good! They deserve to be right on the tails of Chock / Bates.

Cannunscio / McManus were a surprise. OK, so I was expecting them to be Top 6, but I wasn't expecting them to be as close to Hawayek / Baker as they are.

I thought Hoptman / Filchenkov were good too, and was surprised that they didn't finish up higher.

All I can say is that Hubbell / Donohue are going to have to be on fire if they want to get ahead of Chock / Bates or the Shibs going into the Free.

And Aldridge / Eaton are going to have to be on similar form if they want to have a chance at nicking a podium position by the end of the competition.

But, since the ski jumping is about to start, I won't be able to watch the final group until later on.

That's what happenes when you decide to post comments on the forum!

CaroLiza_fan

Alchamei

Record Breaker
Secondly, I feel really sorry for cheerknithanson's friend, Gabriela Morell Zucker, after her partner's fall put them at the bottom after their group. Hopefully things will go better in the FD.

Wow, I didn't know she is a friend of one of the dancers! Cool! Well, we mainly talk together about Kevin... Oh, you should be sorry for Cheerknithanson as well after Men SP at CN...

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I still don't know why Chock and Bates are ahead of the Shibs. I think they are overrated and that has nothing to do with this "new" info to me about the break up of Samuelson and Bates. THey are good but I think they are over scored often.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Wow, I didn't know she is a friend of one of the dancers! Cool! Well, we mainly talk together about Kevin... Oh, you should be sorry for Cheerknithanson as well after Men SP at CN...

La la la la la! I'm not going to be able to watch any more skating until this afternoon, so I'm tring to avoid hearing anything about the American Men's SP, or anything that happened in Canada yesterday...

As for cheerknithanson and Gabriela, she revealed that in the predictions thread shortly after I posted the entry lists:

My eyes popped out of my head when I saw the name "Gabriela Morrell Zucker." I used to dance ballet with her!!!! And I think she went to my synagogue! Holy Crab! :jaw:

It's a small world! ;)

CaroLiza_fan

GF2445

Record Breaker
Hell no!

Getting back to the skating. I forgot to say in my Group 1 comment that I hated the violin version of "I'm A Pirate" that Zucker / Sitiks used. The full orchestra version would have sounded a LOT better.

Group 2. Well, both costumes from Ponomaryova and Altukhov were wild! I know Nicky Slater keeps going on about having continuity between the 2 costumes, but it would have looked a lot better if Oleg hadn't that bit of material from Kseniya's skirt under his suit jacket.

And I agree with those that said that Jean-Luc Baker should get rid of the beard. He is so baby-faced that he doesn't suit it!

Jean-Luc and Kaitlyn were great, and deserve the big lead they have. It will be really intersting to see where they finish up, as I suspect that they could claim some significant scalps.

Looking forward to the final 2 groups, particularly Madison and Evan up next.

CaroLiza_Fan

I fond the technkcal score tracker a work in progress. I think the idea for the tracker is good but they need to give it some purpose for it to mean something for the viewer.

matcha

Medalist
I am so ready for the Shibs to scalp C/B, but C/B are way more consistent/have more success with their free than the Shibs (who have the best US short this season).

slider11

Medalist
Good point about Aldridge and Eaton's music choices. Alexandra is definitely not Carmen or Scarlett. Marina may be trying to stretch them but it's a round peg in a square hole. Eaton is impressive and I picture him with another partner. Maybe someone slightly shorter with more of a diva look and someone that can keep pace with his excellent technical style.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Yes, and I think she got married to a very wealthy guy (not that it matter that he got money), but skate fans know how to hold a grudge... ;)... as I said , maybe is just me. Not thta I want something wrong over Chock and Bates, just can´t bring myself to like them.

Ah, I didn't hear that Emily had got married. Congratulations to her and her husband. I hope they are very happy!

Charlie is doing an excellent job; good detail, pleasant speaking voice and he seems conscious of not speaking too much, haha.

I take back what I said about Charlie this morning. Yeah, he was talking a bit too much during the first group. But after that, he got the balance pretty much spot on. The guy beside him must have had a wee word! ;)

I fond the technkcal score tracker a work in progress. I think the idea for the tracker is good but they need to give it some purpose for it to mean something for the viewer.

I don't like the TES box either, but I'd love for a list of all the elements to pop up on screen once the program is over and the green ones are the ones not being reviewed and the red ones are the ones being reviewed, then we can see the numbers of the levels as they come in, etc. and by the time we hear the score it will actually have a context!

Yes, definitely. I would prefer if more details of what makes up the score was put up after the routine as well. Although I didn't think of doing it for the TES, I did think that more needed to be done to explain the final score. And I said as much in a thread I started about graphics in August, but nobody replied to.

Since I wrote comments after each of the other groups, I suppose I should do the same with the final group. But, because it takes time away from actual viewing, I don't think I'll bother doing so with any of the other competitions.

Hubbell / Donohue - right position, wrong score. That score was too low for the performance they put in. They should have been closer to the top 2 rather than closer to 4th and 5th.

Aldridge / Eaton. Again, a bit disappointed by the score. They have a lot of work to do if they want to claim the scalps of any of the couples in front of them. But with Hubbell / Donohue scoring so low in the SD, the couples in 4th, 5th and 6th now have a more realistic shot at the final podium position than we were expecting.

For the other 3 couples, I hadn't seen any of them before, but I was pleasantly surprised. In fact, I have been impressed with everybody that I hadn't seen before, in both Dance and Ladies. People may go on about the dearth of figure skating talent in America, but you have a much deeper field of talent than you think.

And it is because I am seeing new up-and-coming talent that I am enjoying watching the American Championships much more than I ever expected I would.

So, thank you again to sabinfire for making this possible.

Time for for another break from figure skating (Eurosport are showing women's biathlon and then women's ski jumping), and then back for the Men's SP.

Looking forward to it already!

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

lmarie086

Medalist
sabinfire is the best, end of story.

Some really great skating, wow! I have to say, the Shibtuanis have one of my absolute favorite SDs this season, and this was by far their best performance of it this season. As Charlie said, they could still use some more flair to it. Even so, such a high quality performance; they really brought it.

It's probably better if I don't talk too much about Chock/Bates. Do I see that they're improved? Yes, of course; but I just don't care for them. Nothing there for me, and there's no relation between them IMO.

I'd actually say the Shibs and Chock/Bates were overscored here, especially considering that in comparison, Hubbell/Donohue (especially) and Hawayek/Baker were underscored. I admit I have a bias toward Hubbell/Donohue, but that was their finest skating of the season so far. I really love how they transformed the SD; it's much improved from what we saw on the GP, and that gives me hope for the FD lol. Great commitment to the music combined with powerful skating. They've had troubles in the past hitting the key points on compulsory patterns I believe, so that might still be something they need to focus on. And I wonder if Charlie had a point about that lift being tucked away into the program being what perhaps hurt them there, because I thought it was well executed.

Hawayek/Baker are magic and they're going to be world champions someday. I don't know that a Paso is necessarily within their comfort zone, but it looked much more natural than it did in the fall.

Cannuscio/McManus are really making people take notice. Bravo, I LOVE that program.