2015 US Nationals Senior Men Short Program Jan 23 | Golden Skate

2015 US Nationals Senior Men Short Program Jan 23

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
1/23/2015 8:15pm Senior Men's Short Program

Entries
USFSA/Icenetwork bios are linked, where they exist. For teams for whom no IN bio exists, ISU bios will be used, unless otherwise noted.

Max Aaron
Jeremy Abbott
Jason Brown
Stephen Carriere
Nathan Chen
Timothy Dolensky
Richard Dornbush
Joshua Farris
Grant Hochstein
Alexander Johnson
Jimmy Ma
Ross Miner
Jordan Moeller
Shotaro Omori
Sebastien Payannet Link is to statsonice
Robert Przepioski Link is to statsonice
Sean Rabbitt Link is to statsonice
Douglas Razzano
Adam Rippon
Patrick Rupp Link is to statsonice
Philip Warren

A look back to last year's men's competition, which mentions most of the skaters at this year's event.
http://spectator.org/articles/57752/flying-camels-butterflies-and-twizzles

Men's SP Start Order

1 Philip Warren, All Year FSC
2 Ross Miner, SC of Boston
3 Alexander Johnson, Broadmoor SC
4 Sebastien Payannet, Rocky Mountain FSC
5 Nathan Chen, Salt Lake Figure Skating
6 Adam Rippon, SC of New York
7 Shotaro Omori, Los Angeles FSC
8 Stephen Carriere, SC of Boston
9 Jimmy Ma, SC of New York
10 Robert Przepioski, Rochester FSC
11 Douglas Razzano, Coyotes SC of Arizona
12 Jason Brown, Skokie Valley SC
13 Richard Dornbush, All Year FSC
14 Patrick Rupp, Orlando FSC
15 Sean Rabbitt, Glacier Falls FSC
16 Jordan Moeller, Northern Ice SC
17 Grant Hochstein, SC of New York
18 Max Aaron, Broadmoor SC
19 Joshua Farris, Broadmoor SC
20 Timothy Dolensky, Atlanta FSC
21 Jeremy Abbott, Detroit SC

Last edited by a moderator:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Doris, I know this isn't the point of the thread, but what a lovely article from the American Spectator about last year's Nats. Thanks.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I was looking for a link/bio for Robert Przepioski, last year's last place skater, who did not start skating until he was 14, and who started competing in pairs. It was such a lovely memory piece, I couldn't resist linking it. :love:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I was looking for a link/bio for Robert Przepioski, last year's last place skater, who did not start skating until he was 14, and who started competing in pairs. It was such a lovely memory piece, I couldn't resist linking it. :love:

He was so happy! I remember. Smiling away. Him and Lukas Kaugars were really the most delightful moments of that short program for me. A reminder, in amongst the tension over the Olympic selection, why we skate.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Max Aaron music update:
Aaron will skate his short program on Friday to “Footloose," the 2011 cover by country music star Blake Shelton.
“We changed to Blake Shelton to get a little more modern rock sound,” Zakrajsek said.

http://www.news-record.com/sports/f...cle_0dd195c8-a0fa-11e4-99a2-a767c62c8943.html (Jan 21)​

(Max was using Kenny Loggins before.)

ohh my head hurts now.

Is he going to add some flannel to his costume to match.

You know it really is a sad commentary on modern American music that they are switching to a "country" cover to give it more of a "modern rock" sound.

EDIT: Music video of the presumed version if interested.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
ohh my head hurts now.

Is he going to add some flannel to his costume to match.

You know it really is a sad commentary on modern American music that they are switching to a "country" cover to give it more of a "modern rock" sound.

EDIT: Music video of the presumed version if interested.

Reserving judgment until we see Max skate to Shelton's cover.
But agree that Tom Z's comment about genres is confusing. :confused2: I'm old school, so to me, you can't go wrong with the classic Kenny Loggins. I know of Shelton only vaguely from "The Voice" -- so thx for the music video link, Stitch.
I too am curious whether Max's costume will be modified to any extent, or even completely changed??? :think:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Reserving judgment until we see Max skate to Shelton's cover.
But agree that Tom Z's comment about the genres is confusing. :confused2: I'm old school, so I like the classic Kenny Loggins. I know of Shelton only vaguely from "The Voice" -- so thx for the music video link, Stitch.
I too am curious whether Max's costume will be modified to any extent, or even completely changed??? :think:

I actually re-watched Max's skate with his music muted and this playing. It will work, but it felt a bit out of place. The costume likely should be changed to be honest; really, what Max was wearing did not match the tone of the country version. That being said, I would not complain about Max in tight cowboy jeans and a white cotton tee/tank that shows his arms. . . so ill hold on to some hope. I think i would enjoy Max enjoying skating to this version more but overall prefer the original. Then again that cut was a bit odd anyway.

I suspect Tom knows he nommed his foot. He could have just said more more modern and it almost would have worked, as it stands it comes across a bit almost lazy about music. Can we try to pretend genres are different please?

I feel I can face palm and withhold final judgment at the same time. I still want to see it, and still want to see him do well, but for now, im still confused.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Start order is up (I also put it on the first post as well for reference):

1 Philip Warren, All Year FSC
2 Ross Miner, SC of Boston
3 Alexander Johnson, Broadmoor SC
4 Sebastien Payannet, Rocky Mountain FSC
5 Nathan Chen, Salt Lake Figure Skating
---
6 Adam Rippon, SC of New York
7 Shotaro Omori, Los Angeles FSC
8 Stephen Carriere, SC of Boston
9 Jimmy Ma, SC of New York
10 Robert Przepioski, Rochester FSC
--
11 Douglas Razzano, Coyotes SC of Arizona
12 Jason Brown, Skokie Valley SC
13 Richard Dornbush, All Year FSC
14 Patrick Rupp, Orlando FSC
15 Sean Rabbitt, Glacier Falls FSC
--
16 Jordan Moeller, Northern Ice SC
17 Grant Hochstein, SC of New York
18 Max Aaron, Broadmoor SC
19 Joshua Farris, Broadmoor SC
20 Timothy Dolensky, Atlanta FSC
21 Jeremy Abbott, Detroit SC

(I'm guessing this is how the warm-up groups will go.)

Very interesting -- Jason and Richard back-to-back in group three and a bunch of heavy hitters in the final group with Jeremy in the final spot!

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
thanks mrs p, i hope richard can hold it together after jason, he also skated after jason at FP last year right? and it wasnt good :cry: goodluck to him and other skaters as well :cheer:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
BTW:
‏@LynnRutherford
.@CoachTomZ saw my tweet about @MaxTAaron not attending practice & said, "Max is on the plane." Be here soon. #NC2015
8:24 AM - 21 Jan 2015
https://twitter.com/LynnRutherford/status/557936830407270400

I actually re-watched Max's skate with his music muted and this playing. It will work, but it felt a bit out of place. The costume likely should be changed to be honest; really, what Max was wearing did not match the tone of the country version. That being said, I would not complain about Max in tight cowboy jeans and a white cotton tee/tank that shows his arms. . . so ill hold on to some hope. I think i would enjoy Max enjoying skating to this version more but overall prefer the original. Then again that cut was a bit odd anyway.

I suspect Tom knows he nommed his foot. He could have just said more more modern and it almost would have worked, as it stands it comes across a bit almost lazy about music. Can we try to pretend genres are different please?

I feel I can face palm and withhold final judgment at the same time. I still want to see it, and still want to see him do well, but for now, im still confused.

Appreciate your thorough analysis, Stitch. Glad that you think Shelton will be workable and enjoyable. And that you want Max to do well -- as do I. :yay:

I have highlighted (and agree with :agree:) another favorite part of your post. :)

Start order is up (I also put it on the first post as well for reference):

... Very interesting -- Jason and Richard back-to-back in group three and a bunch of heavy hitters in the final group with Jeremy in the final spot!

Thank you, Mrs. P. :)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Max Aaron music update:
Aaron will skate his short program on Friday to “Footloose," the 2011 cover by country music star Blake Shelton.
“We changed to Blake Shelton to get a little more modern rock sound,” Zakrajsek said.

http://www.news-record.com/sports/f...cle_0dd195c8-a0fa-11e4-99a2-a767c62c8943.html (Jan 21)​

(Max was using Kenny Loggins before.)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

:cry:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I was looking for a link/bio for Robert Przepioski, last year's last place skater, who did not start skating until he was 14, and who started competing in pairs. ...

Today Robert Przepioski placed fourth overall in Novice Pairs -- pewter Nats medal.

His partner, Vanessa Chen, is age 14. (He is 25.)
Przepioski said the team's goal for the U.S. championships is to have fun and not worry about results. They entered into their partnership just eight months ago.
"We've been together since June and it's my first time doing pairs," Chen said. "I love doing the sport with Robbie."

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2015/01/19/106841270 (Jan 19)​

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

:cry:

Agreed. Kenny Loggins *is* Footloose. This other version will I fear be just another cheesy cover used so often in figure skating....:confused2:

ETA: Max's cut of the original Footloose was not so great, but will this solve it? Will skaters who use Michael Jackson or James Brown songs now opt for covers as well? The mind boggles.

Last edited:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
OK. I'm in the minority. I absolutely LOVE this choice.

Nationals in is North Carolina, and Blake Shelton (for the uninformed) is a country music legend. This music will get the crowd pumped.

Of course, I know there are some who'd rather watch every single skater perform to Pavarotti playing the cello solo in Etude to a Sad, Sad Song with No Melody, In B-Minor, but toe-tapping country-rock-a-billy isn't a bad fit for the venue or for Max.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
OK. I'm in the minority. I absolutely LOVE this choice.

Nationals in is North Carolina, and Blake Shelton (for the uninformed) is a country music legend. This music will get the crowd pumped.

Of course, I know there are some who'd rather watch every single skater perform to Pavarotti playing the cello solo in Etude to a Sad, Sad Song with No Melody, In B-Minor, but toe-tapping country-rock-a-billy isn't a bad fit for the venue or for Max.

Good point on the venue! If the area will respond well to Blake I am much more optimistic.

Still, I think training with some Chippendale Dancers would have been better than swapping music, but if this gets Max to skate happy, i can live with it.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Good point on the venue! If the area will respond well to Blake I am much more optimistic.

Still, I think training with some Chippendale Dancers would have been better than swapping music, but if this gets Max to skate happy, i can live with it.

We should take our act on the road!:laugh2:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
FWIW, it cannot be any worse the the opera-version of REM's Everybody Hurts one of the Novice Dance teams used. It was even sung in Italian. Yikes.