2015 US Nationals Senior Men Short Program Jan 23 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2015 US Nationals Senior Men Short Program Jan 23

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
FWIW, it cannot be any worse the the opera-version of REM's Everybody Hurts one of the Novice Dance teams used. It was even sung in Italian. Yikes.

LOL. I really need to see the video for this!

Of course, singing with an operatic attitude, especially in Italian, makes anything classy.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
OK. I'm in the minority. I absolutely LOVE this choice.

Nationals in is North Carolina, and Blake Shelton (for the uninformed) is a country music legend. This music will get the crowd pumped.

Of course, I know there are some who'd rather watch every single skater perform to Pavarotti playing the cello solo in Etude to a Sad, Sad Song with No Melody, In B-Minor, but toe-tapping country-rock-a-billy isn't a bad fit for the venue or for Max.

I think you misunderstand me, TontoK. I LOVE the concept of the Footloose program and I LOVE the Kenny Loggins original. But that's the problem. KENNY LOGGINS IS FOOTLOOSE. There are no others. None that come to that standard. None that will ever be as good. And when I think of American country, I think of slow, mournful, whiny tunes. So this has got me shuddering unhappily in my seat instead of dancing in it.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I think you misunderstand me, TontoK. I LOVE the concept of the Footloose program and I LOVE the Kenny Loggins original. But that's the problem. KENNY LOGGINS IS FOOTLOOSE. There are no others. None that come to that standard. None that will ever be as good. And when I think of American country, I think of slow, mournful, whiny tunes. So this has got me shuddering unhappily in my seat instead of dancing in it.

I haven't heard Blake's cover for Footloose, but he is well-able to do lively and rock-style songs. Must wait and see.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
OK. I'm in the minority. I absolutely LOVE this choice.

Nationals in is North Carolina, and Blake Shelton (for the uninformed) is a country music legend. This music will get the crowd pumped.

Of course, I know there are some who'd rather watch every single skater perform to Pavarotti playing the cello solo in Etude to a Sad, Sad Song with No Melody, In B-Minor, but toe-tapping country-rock-a-billy isn't a bad fit for the venue or for Max.

:rofl: Love it.

FWIW, I am not one of those folks who wants to see everyone skate to Very Sad Etude in a Very Minor Key. I like Max's routine to Footloose by Kenny Loggins. Kenny Loggins *is* Footloose. Although I do not follow country music, I know I see Blake Shelton's picture around and I think he is on one of those Idol-type TV shows?, and I am sure he is a fine singer, and if a skater in the future wants to skate to a Blake Shelton original, no problem. But Footloose?

I am also just a huge fan of the original artist and the original work in skating routines. I remember folks recommending a skater from Canada, maybe?, a lady, and her exhibition routine to "Rockit". Well, I went in search, and I could only watch a few minutes. It was not Herbie Hancock! (I *am* an R&B aficionado, and I do know my R&B). How can you skate to a knock-off of Rockit? So I feel the same about Max, Kenny Loggins and Footloose. I at least hope the cut will be better...

Last edited:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The thread has gotten fun all of a sudden!

I'm a traditionalist myself... if you can call someone who prefers the original version of Footloose a "traditionalist."

But, I have to say I enjoyed the Blake Shelton version. It is a bit more "rocking hillbilly" which I happen to like.

I don't watch much TV, but I looked it up, and I guess Blake Shelton does serve as a judge on some talent show or other here in the States. Who knew?

If Max delivers a great SP. this choice will be considered genius!

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hey, el henry!

Every time "etude" is mentioned at Nationals, we have to drink! Twice if it's in a minor key! Three times for cello!

Scovies

Final Flight
I remember folks recommending a skater from Canada, maybe?, a lady, and her exhibition routine to "Rockit". Well, I went in search, and I could only watch a few minutes. It was not Herbie Hancock! (I *am* an R&B aficionado, and I do know my R&B). How can you skate to a knock-off of Rockit?

How about this instead? :biggrin:

And yes, Blake Shelton is a judge on The Voice. I'm not a big country fan, but I actually think switching to that version of "Footloose" is a smart move. When I first heard about his SP last year, I liked the idea, but when I saw it I was reminded of just how dated the song sounds. A version with more contemporary-sounding and less synth-heavy production values can keep the program from seeming too much like a cheesy 80's ice show.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Blake Shelton (for the uninformed) is a country music legend. ...

I posted a link to the music video on the first page. Honestly it sounds very similar just with twang.

.... Kenny Loggins *is* Footloose. Although I do not follow country music, I know I see Blake Shelton's picture around and I think he is on one of those Idol-type TV shows?, and I am sure he is a fine singer, and if a skater in the future wants to skate to a Blake Shelton original, no problem. But Footloose?

... I don't watch much TV, but I looked it up, and I guess Blake Shelton does serve as a judge on some talent show or other here in the States. Who knew?

If Max delivers a great SP. this choice will be considered genius!

Sample of one here:

I will support Max no matter what, but my bias is in favor of Loggins as the original. (Thx to Stitch for the Shelton video. He did sound similar to Loggins -- so sticking with the real deal would have made sense to me.)

The only reason I am not completely uninformed ;) on the "legend"(??) Mr. Shelton is his judging/coaching on "The Voice" (which I do not watch, but its promos are inescapable). (I wonder whether his fellow judges Usher, Adam Levine, and the like are considered legends in their respective genres as well. :think: B/c of their music, I mean; not b/c of their judging.)

FYI for anyone like me who could use remedial education on Shelton: he conveniently will be a guest on the Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon tomorrow (Thursday) night, and he will be both the host and the musical guest on Saturday Night Live this week.

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hey, el henry!

Every time "etude" is mentioned at Nationals, we have to drink! Twice if it's in a minor key! Three times for cello!

You're on! And if we really want to be under the table, we can continue at Worlds, and add POTO and Carmen:laugh2:

How about this instead? :biggrin:

And yes, Blake Shelton is a judge on The Voice. I'm not a big country fan, but I actually think switching to that version of "Footloose" is a smart move. When I first heard about his SP last year, I liked the idea, but when I saw it I was reminded of just how dated the song sounds. A version with more contemporary-sounding and less synth-heavy production values can keep the program from seeming too much like a cheesy 80's ice show.

*That* is the real Rockit. Cut, but the real Rockit. The other one had the skater coming out of a box (maybe it was a man and not a lady? It was so distressing, I just put it out of my mind!:slink:). So maybe Max's Footloose won't be so bad. Fingers crossed.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Start order is up (I also put it on the first post as well for reference):

1 Philip Warren, All Year FSC
2 Ross Miner, SC of Boston
3 Alexander Johnson, Broadmoor SC
4 Sebastien Payannet, Rocky Mountain FSC
5 Nathan Chen, Salt Lake Figure Skating
---
6 Adam Rippon, SC of New York
7 Shotaro Omori, Los Angeles FSC
8 Stephen Carriere, SC of Boston
9 Jimmy Ma, SC of New York
10 Robert Przepioski, Rochester FSC
--
11 Douglas Razzano, Coyotes SC of Arizona
12 Jason Brown, Skokie Valley SC
13 Richard Dornbush, All Year FSC
14 Patrick Rupp, Orlando FSC
15 Sean Rabbitt, Glacier Falls FSC
--
16 Jordan Moeller, Northern Ice SC
17 Grant Hochstein, SC of New York
18 Max Aaron, Broadmoor SC
19 Joshua Farris, Broadmoor SC
20 Timothy Dolensky, Atlanta FSC
21 Jeremy Abbott, Detroit SC

(I'm guessing this is how the warm-up groups will go.) ...

Your guessing re the groupings must be correct: per Jason's father, skating 12th = 2nd in the third group.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Old age is getting the better of me...

Is Alexander Johnson, third man up, the one with the unbelievable spread eagles?

This is a pretty loaded field now that I'm giving it a hard look. There are contenders or buzz-skaters in every group.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Is Alexander Johnson, third man up, the one with the unbelievable spread eagles?

I think you might be confusing him with Jonathon Cassar, who retired after Nationals last year.

IceNetwork eats a lot of bandwidth for me, so I probably won't join the stream until the 2nd-last group. Last year I was better-organised with my internet and was able to watch the whole men's SP, but I fear if I do that, I won't have anything left for the LP!

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^^^ karne, you are correct. That is the young man I was thinking of.

I hate you're not going to be able to see all the SP. There are some pretty good skaters in the first groups.

Maybe you can catch it on YouTube afterwards.

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
Seeing that skate order makes me realize that the men's field is crazy right now. So many of them could land in the top 3. There is no sure bet at this men's competition. It will come down to who holds it together.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I agree there are many challengers; he may be a headcase but Rippon and Abbott are two of the most complete skaters if they can get it together. I didn't put Jason in this category because he doesn't have the quad yet really. Max also has an interesting look more like Elivis though Elivs had more personality and charisma; Max a little more grace but with COP it isn't about style you can still score high pc wise if you have the inbetweens, speed, edges etc though you may not be into classical music. Chen, Dornbush, Grant, Miner, Farris, Timothy and Douglas to name a few.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
^^^ karne, you are correct. That is the young man I was thinking of.

I hate you're not going to be able to see all the SP. There are some pretty good skaters in the first groups.

Maybe you can catch it on YouTube afterwards.

I'll watch it all again on IceNetwork when my bandwidth resets.

Such a bummer, but I never realised until Skate America exactly how much bandwidth IN chews through, when I went through 3GB in one weekend! Although...maybe since I'm skipping the ladies SP (work)....hmm.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Really good luck Jeremy. Hope you have family and friends in the arena to support you!

I'll watch it all again on IceNetwork when my bandwidth resets.

Such a bummer, but I never realised until Skate America exactly how much bandwidth IN chews through, when I went through 3GB in one weekend! Although...maybe since I'm skipping the ladies SP (work)....hmm.

Good to know... I almost payed for Icenetwork when it was cheaper. I too have to restrict my internet viewing... so, thanks for the information.

JasonLover

On the Ice
Good luck Jason <3 My heart will be with him, always.. <3 but also I love Jeremmy Abbott <3 I want to best result both of them.. :cheer: