2015 U.S. Nationals practice reports | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2015 U.S. Nationals practice reports

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Gracie looks good on the 3Z-3T even though there's a bit of a delay between jumps.

b-man

Final Flight
Gracie, as stated, skipped 3-3 combo in first practice, looked good otherwise, (I missed her second practice) Some of Wagner's jumps looked great, but saw a 2 foot in there. Most of Mirai's jumps were scratchy and URed, not as good, so far, as last year, rest of her skating good. Courtney looks the same, big high jumps, usually rotated, but usually tilted. Saw Amber Glenn for the first time, she practices like Katlyn Osmond, fast bursts of very quick skating, then stops. Would be impressive if she could keep it up for 4 minutes. She flirts with audience and looks like a practical joker. Hannah Miller looked strong, she has grown up. Sam looked the same as last year, (same program?) Karen Chen looks about a foot shorter than everyone else. I thought she might challenge for top 5, now I don't think so. Caroline Zhang was jumping very well, fully rotated, except has some mule kick back. Polina missed first practice, but in 2nd. She looks pretty tall now. She is a very methodical trainer, very thorough in her approach to skating, covers things most other competitors neglect., Observations from my uneducated eye.

marcolee925

Rinkside
Why is ashley doing 3ltzs-3toes? :shocked: :drama: :confused2:

And why is she back with her 2013-2014 flip technic :hopelessness:

There was some discussion earlier that she might plan 2 lutzes in the free.

And I hate her heavily stalked 2014 flip entrance. Her original one (and the one she did at GPF free skate) was better, I thought.

breynows

On the Ice
There was some discussion earlier that she might plan 2 lutzes in the free.

And I hate her heavily stalked 2014 flip entrance. Her original one (and the one she did at GPF free skate) was better, I thought.

Oh god, someone should bash artunian head ont he wall, seriously...

doze

On the Ice
No because many judges know what to look for so if skaters decide to pop jumps or skip them it won't hurt them.

katymay

Medalist
Yes... a judge commenting anonymously to a Russian reporter mentioned that Yulia had issues getting the right edge for her flip during practice... and Yulia got called for it. The Eurosport guys thought the edge was unclear live and thought it looked good on replay.

Ever since this situation I've wondered if skaters need to be careful about what they show in practices and if judges can be influenced too much by what happens in practices.

A better question is if the videographers(or whoever is directing the camera angles) watch the practice sessions because figure skating videography can be pretty awful.

I was always told that practice IS the competition. If you do a partial program, word gets out that you lack stamina and you are not in top condition. Tara Lipinski was well known to not only do a complete run through with music, but then do another run through, back to back (without her music)-all jumps and spins included. If you want to practice without the judges prejudging you, there is usually an auxiliary rink available. My personal thought is that all judges should be excluded from watching practices. It bothered me back in the dark ages when I was a skater, and it bothers me now.

skatemouse

On the Ice
I think the "on purpose" partial programs are definitely a strategy. It is as important to lay out a program as do the element. You are not going to make any huge improvements by Nationals. It is all about maintaining. Also age has a lot to do with it. At 15 full run through at competitions are not unheard of. For pairs or plus 20's it is a good way to zap your energy which is higher at a competition by then. So maintenance and peaking are always the top priority. I never agreed with it but never was an athlete at this level, age, and doing these difficulties, especially pairs. What they are doing now is insane!

NaVi

Medalist
I was always told that practice IS the competition. If you do a partial program, word gets out that you lack stamina and you are not in top condition. Tara Lipinski was well known to not only do a complete run through with music, but then do another run through, back to back (without her music)-all jumps and spins included. If you want to practice without the judges prejudging you, there is usually an auxiliary rink available. My personal thought is that all judges should be excluded from watching practices. It bothered me back in the dark ages when I was a skater, and it bothers me now.

Most of the girls just do partial run throughs(at least the Russian ones... though Radionova does full run throughs of her SP). I don't think judges hold it against them at all.

I think it may be hard for the judges to direct their attention without seeing at least some of the performance beforehand so I think having them there helps more than it ever hurts.

humbaba

Final Flight
The ice dancers are on the brownrice camera right now. C/B and H/B both look great. It's amazing how much ice they cover.

gkelly

Record Breaker
These days with IJS, it's probably a lot more important for the tech panels to watch practices than the judges. Although all the reasons doze gave would still apply.

A better question is if the videographers(or whoever is directing the camera angles) watch the practice sessions because figure skating videography can be pretty awful.

The official videos that are used for the official replays are all from one camera located next to the technical panel. There's no "directing" the camera angles -- the camera operator just follows the skater as best they can from where the camera is located. I'm not sure but I don't think they even do any zooming.

The footage that you see on TV does use multiple cameras and different focal lengths, so there is definitely directing involved. In that case, it's the TV producer's decisions about how best to tell the story of this skater's performance in the context of the event. And different networks covering the same event may have different cameras, different angles and directorial choices about when and how to switch from one to another, as well as different commentary. But the judges and technical panel do not see this footage during the event -- maybe they go home and watch it after the fact if they're interested.