2015 US Nationals Junior Free Dance Jan 23 | Golden Skate

2015 US Nationals Junior Free Dance Jan 23

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
The Junior Free Dance will be at 12:25 p.m., Eastern Standard Time, Friday, Jan. 23

1 Maeve Pascoe, All Year FSC/Micah Jaffe, Pavilion SC of Cleveland Heights 12 41.30
2 Karina Manta, Coyotes SC of Arizona/Joseph Johnson, Broadmoor SC 9 45.09
3 Julia Biechler, SC of Wilmington/Damian Dodge, Peninsula SC 11 42.17
4 Danielle Thomas, Detroit SC/Alexander Martin, Detroit SC 10 44.77
5 Holly Moore, Detroit SC/Daniel Klaber, Detroit SC 5 53.53
6 Chloe Lewis, All Year FSC/Logan Bye, SC of New York 8 48.18
7 Emily Day, All Year FSC/Kevin Leahy, All Year FSC 6 50.98
8 Gigi Becker, Washington FSC/Luca Becker, Washington FSC 7 50.34
9 Christina Carreira, SC of New York/Anthony Ponomarenko, SC of San Francisco 4 55.32
10 Rachel Parsons, Washington FSC/Michael Parsons, Washington FSC 2 60.61
11 Elliana Pogrebinsky, Peninsula SC/Alex Benoit, Skokie Valley SC 3 58.92
12 Lorraine McNamara, Peninsula SC/Quinn Carpenter, Washington FSC 1 64.16

Live results: http://www.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2015/2015_us_fs_champs/CAT017SEG037.html

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Overall results
1 Lorraine McNamara, Peninsula SC/Quinn Carpenter, Washington FSC 1 64.16 1 91.23 155.39
2 Rachel Parsons, Washington FSC/Michael Parsons, Washington FSC 2 60.61 2 84.37 144.98
3 Elliana Pogrebinsky, Peninsula SC/Alex Benoit, Skokie Valley SC 3 58.92 3 82.63 141.55
4 Holly Moore, Detroit SC/Daniel Klaber, Detroit SC 5 53.53 4 79.54 133.07
5 Christina Carreira, SC of New York/Anthony Ponomarenko, SC of San Francisco 4 55.32 6 76.59 131.91
6 Emily Day, All Year FSC/Kevin Leahy, All Year FSC 6 50.98 8 75.25 126.23
7 Chloe Lewis, All Year FSC/Logan Bye, SC of New York 8 48.18 5 77.47 125.65
8 Julia Biechler, SC of Wilmington/Damian Dodge, Peninsula SC 11 42.17 7 75.48 117.65
9 Gigi Becker, Washington FSC/Luca Becker, Washington FSC 7 50.34 10 65.57 115.91
10 Karina Manta, Coyotes SC of Arizona/Joseph Johnson, Broadmoor SC 9 45.09 9 67.64 112.73
11 Danielle Thomas, Detroit SC/Alexander Martin, Detroit SC 10 44.77 11 64.96 109.73
12 Maeve Pascoe, All Year FSC/Micah Jaffe, Pavilion SC of Cleveland Heights 12 41.30 12 59.08 100.38

Impressive skates from our medalists! I guess they'll send the top 3 to Junior Worlds? Too bad for Moore/Klaber if that's the case.

samson

Medalist
Caught the last four teams. Great skating from all of them, and Quinn and Carpenter really were head and shoulders above the rest in the free dance. I have to say when I saw the costumes and the acting when their name I was being called I just thought "on no another Phantom", but I have to admit I kinda loved it. In fact, I think it's my favorite Phantom of the season. They've got good speed and they kept it together nicely through those twizzles. As they get older and improve I hope we see better lines, particularly from her. They both have such long limbs they have the potential to really showcase that about their skating.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Holy score, McNamara and Carpenter!

Finally, in their 5th (wow) season skating Juniors nationally, they make the top of the podium. Hopefully they can pull a medal at Junior Worlds! I wonder if they and the Parsons siblings will move to Seniors next year. They're both still young for ice dancers, but both teams are definitely talented.

Florentina

On the Ice

Finally, in their 5th (wow) season skating Juniors nationally, they make the top of the podium. Hopefully they can pull a medal at Junior Worlds! I wonder if they and the Parsons siblings will move to Seniors next year. They're both still young for ice dancers, but both teams are definitely talented.

She skated in Juniors as a 10-year-old?? Wow, that's really young.

But congratulations to them, I really like them. They bring a joy to the ice and they seem such natural performers.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Lot of younger talent coming up with Carreira/Ponomarenko and the Beckers siblings too. Insane that they are all like 13-14 years old but you can already see the talent.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

McNamara and Carpenter look back to form after struggling early in the season. I think they're definitely in the mix for a medal at Jr. Worlds.

I could see the Parsons staying another year and I think they should. They have improved so much from last season and I think it might be nice for them to pick up some more hardware and maybe sharpening their elements.I felt bad for them, they were actually toe-and-toe with Quinn and Carpenter in the earlier elements but then sort made some errors at the end, including her dropping some of her steps in the second step sequence, which led to a level 1.

Moore and Klaber are like the Christina Gao of Ice Dance. 4th for the 3rd year in a row. They will have to move up because Klaber will age out after this season.

More protocols here: http://www.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2015/2015_us_fs_champs/SEGM037.html

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
She skated in Juniors as a 10-year-old?? Wow, that's really young.

But congratulations to them, I really like them. They bring a joy to the ice and they seem such natural performers.

11, but yeah. 9th at 2011 Nationals at age 11/14, 3rd at 2012 Nationals (12/15) and 2013 Nationals (13/16), 2nd at 2014 Nationals (14/17) and now 1st at ages 15/18. They're both February born, so Lorraine was nearly 12 and Quinn was nearly 15 that first season. They'll be 16/19 by the time Junior Worlds happens this year.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
McNamara and Carpenter look back to form after struggling early in the season. I think they're definitely in the mix for a medal at Jr. Worlds.

I could see the Parsons staying another year and I think they should. They have improved so much from last season and I think it might be nice for them to pick up some more hardware and maybe sharpening their elements.I felt bad for them, they were actually toe-and-toe with Quinn and Carpenter in the earlier elements but then sort made some errors at the end, including her dropping some of her steps in the second step sequence, which led to a level 1.

Moore and Klaber are like the Christina Gao of Ice Dance. 4th for the 3rd year in a row. They will have to move up because Klaber will age out after this season.

More protocols here: http://www.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2015/2015_us_fs_champs/SEGM037.html

Funny thing is, despite their struggles, they still had the 5th highest total on the JGP circuit. Just had bad luck with exact assignments.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
11, but yeah. 9th at 2011 Nationals at age 11/14, 3rd at 2012 Nationals (12/15) and 2013 Nationals (13/16), 2nd at 2014 Nationals (14/17) and now 1st at ages 15/18. They're both February born, so Lorraine was nearly 12 and Quinn was nearly 15 that first season. They'll be 16/19 by the time Junior Worlds happens this year.

Their career trajectory is very similar to the Shibutanis, who entered juniors at 12/16 and skated juniors nationally before moving up in the 2010-2011 season at ages 15/19. I see Loraine/Quinn moving up to seniors after this season.

Funny thing is, despite their struggles, they still had the 5th highest total on the JGP circuit. Just had bad luck with exact assignments.

Yes, they started out quite strong, winning the FD at their first JGP, but then they've kind of struggled since then. I like this team a lot and it would be nice if they went to Junior Worlds, but I'm not sure if there's a case to go out of order for them.

Last edited:

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Yes, they started out quite strong, winning the FD at their first JGP, but then they've kind of struggled since then. I like this team a lot and it would be nice if they went to Junior Worlds, but I'm not sure if there's a case to go out of order for them.

I was referencing McNamara/Carpenter with that statement, lol.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I was referencing McNamara/Carpenter with that statement, lol.

OOOOHhh, sorry! Well that's encouraging for them then.... but yeah they were unfortunate with their assignments, as were the Parsons, who had to face Yanovskaya/Mozgov in their second events.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Lot of younger talent coming up with Carreira/Ponomarenko and the Beckers siblings too. Insane that they are all like 13-14 years old but you can already see the talent.

Plus Wheaton's other young teams. They had skaters in 3 of 5 levels this year, and won all three (Juvenile/Novice/Junior). It's weird how many young dance teams are coming up in the US these days.

sarama

Medalist
I feel so bad for Moore/Klaber! I like them a lot, and I think they have the talent to get to the top, but for some reason they never really seem to get it all together.... Maybe they are late bloomers (a girl can dream, right?)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Plus Wheaton's other young teams. They had skaters in 3 of 5 levels this year, and won all three (Juvenile/Novice/Junior). It's weird how many young dance teams are coming up in the US these days.

I feel its going to be Wheaton v. Novi in the years to come if the junior ranks is any indicator.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
I feel its going to be Wheaton v. Novi in the years to come if the junior ranks is any indicator.

Does Novi have any Novice, Intermediate, or Juvenile teams? Eventually every level would just be those two camps.