Nam Nguyen | Page 14 | Golden Skate

Nam Nguyen

peese

Medalist
Nam HAS left Cricket Club. I will not be stating a source name, but a coaching friend of mine who does work there told me the news today. No word on where he is going or what his reasons were but he is on tour with Stars on Ice and we may not know until TTC or after. Maybe he'll be on his own there? Michael Slipchuk standing in? Speculation. I'm thinking he'll most likely go to the states. Just my thoughts. I doubt he will head back west with Joanne. Was it maybe getting too crowded at TCSCC? Did he just want a change, needed more individual attention at this time in his career? Too close for comfort with Roman being there now? (which I posted his moving there in Romans' fan fest with the same reasons of not stating a source name.) I'm sure we'll hear more in the near future. And wishing Nam all the best in the future to continue working towards reaching his maximum potential. He really seemed to have lost his love and showmanship this season as well as the technical issues with jumps AND spins. Go Spicy!!!!

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
Maybe to Raf...?

Anyway, it is kinda sad to know that he left. Maybe he just needs more time and space on deciding what he wants to do next? I'll miss his fun interactions with the oldies and the youngsters in TCC

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker
I heard he will train in US with Polina's mom .

hamaguri

Record Breaker
i couldnt believe the rumer of his leaving. i feel sad now..
anyway, we can see him at tcc. hopefully he has good practice in us and get nice performances at tcc!

liv

Record Breaker
Nam had a rotten season, but I was hoping it was just a sophomore slump and he would just wait it out and work on speed and spins until he was more at ease with himself. Sad to hear that he felt it was more than that, after the previous year was so good. I hoped roman being there would benefit and motivate him, like the yuzu/javi duo, but it does not work for everyone, even if you are friends. I hope he finds what he needs and can return in the future with that spark that was missing this year. Good luck, nam.

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
I have heard from an insider that he has a father who is rather tyrannical with a hot temper, with whom Orser also had trouble dealing on occasions. I kind of have a feeling the father lost patience with Orser after a dismal season of the son and yanked him out...

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Wow. This is worthy of a rumour thread. (Just kidding.)

Nam has very devoted parents and it is possible they may not be happy that Nam is not getting as much attention from the famous coach as they expected or hoped for. His father understands well and taught Nam the importance and the power of the mind so he's likely to be very concerned with his son's recent mental state and real life results.

I hope Nam's talents will be nurtured to fulfillment, and most importantly, that he is happy with himself and what he does.

eta. peese, can your friend also enlighten us on the hot rumour du jour?

Last edited:

liv

Record Breaker
If that is true, and we will probably never know (except from inside sources), then that is too bad. He seemed happy there, and on good terms with the other skaters. Even with the best intentions, overt parental intervention just adds pressure and makes life stressful for all. Whether or not it is true here, it is difficult because sometimes things are beyond control... like growth spurts. No amount of good coaching will help during the process but it will affect how you come out of it... case in point : elizaveta tuktamysheva and mishin and their success.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
oh .... this is not my favourite rumour of the week... i hope Nam makes the right decision for himself.... and finds joy in skating again soon. Fort those criticizing his packaging this year, i felt it was a learning, stepping stone year for him... yup... programs were intricate and busy, with intense music but that is good for development .... he would have mastered it and then would have been able to compete with top guys after his growth spurt, with this more intricate style... oh well... i thought they were in for the long term at TCC

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Even with the best intentions, overt parental intervention just adds pressure and makes life stressful for all.

Or it may save a child from abuse or other sufferings, whether or not they are intentionally inflicted. Most of the time, parents do have the best intentions and should be informed and involved. A few cases of self-interested or misguided parents should not make parental involvement and intervention automatically a bad thing, even if it adds pressure and makes life stressful for the teachers and other authorities in a child's life.

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
I'm so sad to hear about this :( he seemed so happy training at the TCC. I hope that, wherever he goes, he finds it a fullfilling place and that he can give a solid performance at Team Challenge Cup to end his season on a better note.

LRK

Record Breaker
oh .... this is not my favourite rumour of the week... i hope Nam makes the right decision for himself.... and finds joy in skating again soon. Fort those criticizing his packaging this year, i felt it was a learning, stepping stone year for him... yup... programs were intricate and busy, with intense music but that is good for development .... he would have mastered it and then would have been able to compete with top guys after his growth spurt, with this more intricate style... oh well... i thought they were in for the long term at TCC

I found that the short program & music actually grew on me, after initially feeling a bit doubtful (I never disliked it as many did). But regardless, I think that by trying new things - whether they worked or no - he'll have learnt something. Seeing things from another perspective.

Anyway, I hope he will sort out his problems and come back strong. I cannot imagine how frustrating it must be, though, when suddenly things that have worked so well don't work anymore. Intellectually one can tell oneself that it is just a "phase" and one will get through it - but it must take a huge emotional toll and wreak havoc with one's selfconfidence. But I trust he'll work his way through and come out on the other side.

Don't lose heart, Nam!

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
As David Wilson said this week on TSL, TCC is a place for the idle rich and their love of gossip. I was hoping that this was not true, but should this not be the case, I hope wherever he ends up, he is able to bring back joy in his skating.

Perhaps the expectations of parents, himself, and being surrounded by present world and future world champions, was just too much.

Last edited:

andyjo24

Medalist
Considering how many students Orser has, I'm guessing Nam and his family are making this change because they want more individualized attention for him.

It's so sad though... No more Javi, Hanyu, Nam interactions....

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Considering how many students Orser has, I'm guessing Nam and his family are making this change because they want more individualized attention for him.

It's so sad though... No more Javi, Hanyu, Nam interactions....

We don't know the real interactions besides from a few public glimpses and our imagination. E.g. Javi and Hanyu have no relationship outside the rink. Nam and his family should do what is best for him. What is important is his happiness and success.

PrincessBeany

Rinkside
I became a fan of Nam because of his relationship with Brian and the Cricket Club. After seeing him struggle this season I really hope this is the best decision for him. I want to see Nam succeed again like he did last season!

liv

Record Breaker
The full TSL video interview he did on youtube. It was more in reference to years ago when he was younger and choreographing for/close to sebastien britten and people were thinking more was going on between the two... then he said that about tcc and then they were all laughing because he said he should be more politically correct these days, lol. Very funny.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
The full TSL video interview he did on youtube. It was more in reference to years ago when he was younger and choreographing for/close to sebastien britten and people were thinking more was going on between the two... then he said that about tcc and then they were all laughing because he said he should be more politically correct these days, lol. Very funny.

It was...thanks liv!