Nam Nguyen | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Nam Nguyen

peg

Medalist
Well, if Kevin Reynolds is back and in form that'll be three strong guys.

I can't wait to see the improvement for Nam between now and next season. We all know he's super hard worker and I think this placement will motivate him even more to improve speed etc. I don't think he'll catch up to Patrick next year, especially because Patrick has three quads between the two programs and deservedly high PCS, but I think Nam is definitely closing the gap. He improved his PB total score by 10 points here.

kresslia

Medalist
Well, if Kevin Reynolds is back and in form that'll be three strong guys.

I can't wait to see the improvement for Nam between now and next season. We all know he's super hard worker and I think this placement will motivate him even more to improve speed etc. I don't think he'll catch up to Patrick next year, especially because Patrick has three quads between the two programs and deservedly high PCS, but I think Nam is definitely closing the gap. He improved his PB total score by 10 points here.
Yeah, I imagine if Nam keeps improving at this rate maybe two years from now he'll be able to really challenge PChiddy. EuroSport guys were saying he could be World Champion as soon as next year but that's jumping the gun a bit.

Plumededragon

Medalist
Yeah, I imagine if Nam keeps improving at this rate maybe two years from now he'll be able to really challenge PChiddy. EuroSport guys were saying he could be World Champion as soon as next year but that's jumping the gun a bit.
Ah yes, I highly doubt he could be champion by next year already. However, the possibility of being on the podium is not to be ignored. It has now become realistic. He'll still need to work hard, of course, but it's here. :yes:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have to say that Nam saved Canada. Well the 2 spots for the men's at worlds but still....he saved Canada's spots.

peg

Medalist

Yeah, I think the Eurosport guys were a little OTT in saying he could be world champion at 17. He's fantastic in many ways, especially for his age, but the reality is that he was still 25 points out of the bronze medal and 30 away from gold. And he skated his best, whereas the top three didn't. But I definitely see him contending for the podium in the future.

It would be great to have two really to level guys in Canada again :)

peg

Medalist
I have to say that Nam saved Canada. Well the 2 spots for the men's at worlds but still....he saved Canada's spots.

And I think that next year wth Patrick coming back, between the two of them they can probably regain that third spot, and then maybe Kevin can join them :)

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And I think that next year wth Patrick coming back, between the two of them they can probably regain that third spot, and then maybe Kevin can join them :)

Though I wish Kevin will kick butt next season so I can see him at worlds in Boston.

andromache

Record Breaker
For all the Nam fans here: TSL interviewed Nam! A very cute interview with some hints as to what Nam wants to work on next season.

Becki

Medalist
Yeah, I think the Eurosport guys were a little OTT in saying he could be world champion at 17. He's fantastic in many ways, especially for his age, but the reality is that he was still 25 points out of the bronze medal and 30 away from gold. And he skated his best, whereas the top three didn't. But I definitely see him contending for the podium in the future.

It would be great to have two really to level guys in Canada again :)

I think the Eurosport guys said he will be a world champion in the NEAR FUTURE, not necessarily as soon as next year, which would be jumping the gun.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I remember at Worlds this year when the good old BESP dudes mispronounced his name, I was shouting, "OMG! IT'S "NU-WIN" NOT "NE-GOO-YEN!"

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I remember at Worlds this year when the good old BESP dudes mispronounced his name, I was shouting, "OMG! IT'S "NU-WIN" NOT "NE-GOO-YEN!"

But ... how Nam himself pronounces his last name, per gravy's post in Dec 2014 in the Stupid Questions thread:

At the SA gala, Rusty interviewed him during an intermission and Nam introduced himself as 'Nam Nu-yen'. ...

I just finished updating the OP.

I hope you guys enjoy it!

Thank you, Doris :).

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I was debating on which pronunciation it was. But I know very well it's NOT "nuh-goo-yen."

LOL, and the Brits knew that it is not "nu-win."

Not picking on you, CKH.
Just that one of my pet peeves is expecting perfection from announcers re pronunciations.
It is way too easy to point out errors -- and I'm sure that I have been guilty of doing so myself, even though I generally try to refrain.
But the announcers have a tough job b/c so many languages of origin are involved, plus different people choose different Westernized pronunciations for themselves (Nam vs. others named Nguyen, for example).

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
They also touch on his name pronunciation on his Skating Lesson interview. He says both how his parents say it and what he prefers. That interview I think was after Worlds and should be a recent opinion at least.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
They also touch on his name pronunciation on his Skating Lesson interview. He says both how his parents say it and what he prefers. That interview I think was after Worlds and should be a recent opinion at least.

Thx, Stitch :).

And my apologies to CKH -- b/c sounds as if Nam has changed his preference to "nu-win" (stress on first syllable, to my ear), based on what he told TSL.
Although the pronunciation he gave TSL as what his parents say is very different from his own.

Also interesting to me that Jenny and Dave wanted to nail down the correct pronunciation as the very first topic of the interview -- reflecting the widespread confusion over what Nam would want to hear.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Random bits below are from Nam's impromptu Twitter chat today.

(Sorry, I don't know if some of his answers already are well-known to his fans.)

His CSOI number in Toronto this year was My Funny Valentine.

He is interested in a career in coaching and/or TV commentating.

Nam is taller than both Javi and Yuzu.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
Happy birthday to the one and only Mr Spicy!!! i hope next season will be even more spicier !! :cheer: :hb:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Happy birthday, Nam! I didn't realize he and Adian Pitkeev were born only 4 days apart...may they have a long and exciting rivalry!