Book Nominations for First GS Book Club Read | Golden Skate

Book Nominations for First GS Book Club Read

louisa05

Final Flight
Nominate books here. I would start, but I haven't thought of anything yet! I'll be back for that.

Once we have some nominations, we will vote.

(And then someone else will take charge, pretty please????)

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
If we are looking for longer, denser reads, I would love an excuse to re-visit The Chess Garden by Brooks Hansen or The World as I Found It by Bruce Duffy, both of which I read in the '90's and would like to read again.

Or what about A.S. Byatt's Possession? We could also watch the movie and comment, not that it is a patch on the book, but it was at least okay. Here is a taste from the postscript: There are things that happen and leave no discernible trace, are not spoken or written of, though it would be very wrong to say that subsequent events go on indifferently, all the same, as though such things had never been. Two people met, on a hot May day, and never later mentioned their meeting. This is how it was.

desertskates

Medalist
Last edited:

desertskates

Medalist
I'd be happy to take over the book club organizing if someone could walk me through the steps. I is not always so smart :bang: but can handle it just find with a clear set of instructions :)

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Or for a bit of humor, Lost on Planet China by J Maarten Troost to celebrate the upcoming worlds in China.
I read it years ago, and it's just a fun read about a guy navigating a new culture. I'd be quite happy to read it again!
http://www.amazon.com/Lost-Planet-China-Understand-Mystifying/dp/0767922018

I love J. Maarten Troost! I've read The Sex Lives of Cannibals, and I just actually started Getting Stoned With Savages (well, more like I started it over a month ago, then got sidetracked watching too much skating :slink:). Haven't read Lost on Planet China, but I'm sure it would be enjoyable.

desertskates

Medalist
I love J. Maarten Troost! I've read The Sex Lives of Cannibals, and I just actually started Getting Stoned With Savages (well, more like I started it over a month ago, then got sidetracked watching too much skating :slink:). Haven't read Lost on Planet China, but I'm sure it would be enjoyable.

I've read all his books and I'm sure you'd love Lost. His books about the South Pacific had me howling :D My reading has dropped off a bit as well over Holiday time and buying a house, and normal life stuff. But I'm excited to dig into a great book!