Harper Lee to publish new book | Golden Skate

Harper Lee to publish new book

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
Thanks for sharing! I would be happy if she just came out with another book, but a prequel to To Kill a Mockingbird just makes me giddy with delight. :cheer:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... a prequel to To Kill a Mockingbird just makes me giddy with delight. :cheer:

I believe you have it backwards.

Mockingbird is a prequel to to the book that was lost until now -- according to the chronology explained in the NYT article and in the publisher's press release.

In any case, very exciting that the book was found and will be published.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
One viewpoint: http://jezebel.com/be-suspicious-of-the-new-harper-lee-novel-1683488258

I have to say, I have to agree this raises some major questions. I'm embarrassed to say I did not realize that Lee was still alive prior to reading the release. It does seem weird that just three months after her attorney and sister died, this novel was "found" and Harper Lee suddenly gave the OK to publish it.

I really hope this isn't the case, but one's got to wonder.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I'm also a fan of the To Kill a Mockingbird. And I loved the movie, too. I can't wait to read it! I'm curious when the book will be published in my country.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States

Mockingbird is a prequel to to the book that was lost until now -- according to the chronology explained in the NYT article and in the publisher's press release.

I thought I understood the article to say that although she had written this new book first, her editor told her to put it away and she then wrote Mockingbird, which ended up being published first. The action takes place after Mockingbird. I could be wrong, though -- have been almost jumping down w/ excitement since hearing the news. :biggrin:

For me, this ranks right up there w/ if the US gets back on the podium @ Worlds. Still praying for that one...

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
One viewpoint: http://jezebel.com/be-suspicious-of-the-new-harper-lee-novel-1683488258

I have to say, I have to agree this raises some major questions. I'm embarrassed to say I did not realize that Lee was still alive prior to reading the release. It does seem weird that just three months after her attorney and sister died, this novel was "found" and Harper Lee suddenly gave the OK to publish it.

I really hope this isn't the case, but one's got to wonder.

Thanks, Mrs. P. This raises some sad and scary questions. In the Jezebel article, Lee is quoted as describing herself as more like Boo Radley than Scout. The thought that someone might have exploited her at her most vulnerable...makes my blood boil. Desperately hoping it isn't true.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Given that I'm not a fan of prequels and sequels in general, the whole situation is definitely interesting, if not suspicious (as Mrs.P pointed out)... However, I'm going to read the book for sure!

mnm464

On the Ice
This may sound really really thick, but I thought she was dead. I mean, didn't the book come out in the 19 somethings? I am fairly young, so I am not sure...I am not so much the book worm as much as I am an artist drawing:shrug:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
This may sound really really thick, but I thought she was dead. I mean, didn't the book come out in the 19 somethings? I am fairly young, so I am not sure...I am not so much the book worm as much as I am an artist drawing:shrug:

LOL, love having you among us, but I daresay that for a good number of us who belong to GS, the 19 somethings seem like yesterday -- not like the The Dark Ages. It's all relative. ;)

Last edited:

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker

Oops, must have been too excited. :eek::.

And I do hope everything is aboveboard with the book's publication.

mnm464

On the Ice
LOL, love having you among us, but I daresay that for a good number of us who belong to GS, the 19 somethings seem like yesterday -- not like the The Dark Ages. It''s all relative. ;)

Ahahaha! I joined this thread in faith that I would learn more things about new skaters and new perspectives(Which I have indeed!). Because, alike to Hanyu Yuzuru , I always wish to improve myself!

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I am howling with laughter... with you, dear. Not at you.

I'm one of those precious few Americans remaining who were adults in the 19 somethings!

Sadly, I didn't know Harper Lee personally.

mnm464

On the Ice
I am howling with laughter... with you, dear. Not at you.

I'm one of those precious few Americans remaining who were adults in the 19 somethings!

Sadly, I didn't know Harper Lee personally.

Of course, haha. To be quite frank, I am not usually offended if someone laughs at me, so no worries. Some may call it happy-go-lucky. :biggrin:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You are a good sport, and we need young blood around here.

Keep posting!