Promising Latvian skaters | Golden Skate

Promising Latvian skaters

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
A thread for fans of Deniss Vasiljevs, Angelina Kuchvalska, Diana Nikitina, Jakushina/Nevskiy, and any other Latvian skaters we should know about. :) This small country has some great talent coming out of it these days. Please feel free to share videos, interviews, or other information about any of these skaters.

A few links to get us started:

Dailslidosana Latvia - videos from Latvian Nationals

MrSV999 - Deniss's dad's channel (I think) - he has some fancams of Deniss at competitions and his amazing EX programs

Angelina's FB page

Deniss's FB page

Deniss's personal website

Deniss at the 2015 European Youth Olympics Festival (he was the silver medalist) - video of his FS, clip of the medal ceremony, and an interview

Last edited:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I will try to get up to speed on these skaters.

I'm a huge fan of skaters from smaller federations. I hope to live to see World Champions from places like Latvia, Brazil, and Australia!

Thank you for posting video links!

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Angelina's FS is what made the Europeans watchable before the final group came on. She seems quite expressive, and her jumps are very strong (just listen to how the crowd came alive after that 2A-3T. :) Always nice to see a woman with a good axel, which sadly seems rare these days...) If she can improve the speed and ice coverage, I think her second mark would go up as well.

Hopefully she has the minimums for Worlds, and can make the free skate there.

Meriona

Spectator
I, as another Latvian, will try to help with some news as well. :)

(Have been a fan of skating for more than 10 years now, never thought I live to see a day, when tread will be made about "promising situation of Latvian skating", proud moment indeed! :clap: )

catchie

On the Ice
Sorry for not finding this info earlier (had to get ready for Flute Nationals there - yep, we really have a thing like that here in Latvia, even with regionals and sectionals :D ) but Diana Nikitina completed Jegvirag Cup in Hungary and won Junior Ladies. I'd like to point out that was clean in both SP and FS (SB in both - 53.05 SP and 102.39 FS) completing 3T+3T and 3Lz in both of her programs.
SP protocols: http://www.jegviragcup.com/Juniorladies_SP_Scores.pdf
FS protocols: http://www.jegviragcup.com/Juniorladies_FS_Scores.pdf

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Good for Diana. Hopefully she will have a strong showing at Junior Worlds as well.

I found this news report about Deniss after the EYOF...I don't know any Latvian, but it seems they are talking about financial support? Is the blonde woman his mother?

catchie

On the Ice
Good for Diana. Hopefully she will have a strong showing at Junior Worlds as well.

I found this news report about Deniss after the EYOF...I don't know any Latvian, but it seems they are talking about financial support? Is the blonde woman his mother?
They're talking about the achievements of Deniss, his school life, but yes, the main part of the interview is about the financial support, which, as the men said, is going to be higher because Deniss indeed is a young and great talent and they just counted all the organizations from whom is he getting support and that's all. And yes, you're right, the blonde woman is his mom.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Thank you, catchie! He is very special indeed, so I'm glad to know he is getting recognized and receiving financial help.

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
Diana NIKITINA (LAT)

Music: Les Feuilles Mortes by Joseph Cosma

Yellow/orange ombre one-shoulder dress, gold sparkle

3T+3T
3Lz - !
FCSp
StSq
2A - 'tano, bit wonky landing
LSp - short on Biellmann?
CCoSp3p

Another solid skate, good 3T+3T

SP: 29.70+21.52 = 51.22 (PB), 1st (out of 19)

Poice

Final Flight
Diana Nikitina was great. She's only 14 y.o. but she skates quite mature and at least she doesn't look like little kid :) She should work on her spins, but still... I'm impressed!

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Diana NIKITINA (LAT)

Another solid skate, good 3T+3T

Yes, the quality of the field has really improved these last few skaters!

Never seen Nikitina before, but was VERY impressed. Things are really looking good for Latvia with the current crop of Juniors that are coming through.

A young girl from Hong Kong with another piece I am fed up with hearing from Compulsory Dance days ( :rolleye: ) to finish the group.

CaroLiza_fan

catchie

On the Ice
Congrats to Nikitina! So happy! Hope she can climb up a bit in FS and earn those 2 places for next year! Would be awesome.