Promising Latvian skaters | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Promising Latvian skaters

bartlebooth

Record Breaker
Little Deniss is growing up! His limbs are longer.
I agree that working with Urmanov can be good for him.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I like Diana. I Remember her from the JGP. Maybe one day she can medal at Europe.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Deniss with his dad in the kiss'n'cry:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...379.1073741827.100001307018157&type=1&theater

Photo showing the measurements of one of his jumps:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...1514711142287.67148.1069690440&type=1&theater

Deniss with Shoma and Sota:

https://www.facebook.com/1195496182...9549618231301/248994185286843/?type=1&theater

Diana with Sima and Evgenia:

https://instagram.com/p/z8R0uAnSE3/?modal=true

I've read that Alexei Urmanov will be moving to Sochi to work in Volosozhar/Trankov's school there. I wonder how long he anticipates working with Deniss - I hope that they can at least spend some of this off-season together working on jumps. Everything I've read is rather vague so far.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
thanks for sharing. omg he is so cute and talented and nice and seems humble and his english is really good too!! i really like him! all the best to him next year,

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
New interview with Alexei Urmanov. It's all quite an interesting read, but the part relevant to Deniss (with Google Translate):

- What in your life coaching appeared Denis Vasiliev, acting under the Latvian flag?
- We met him last year at the training camp, began to cooperate. Little work in November. I reply to a greater extent for the technical component. So, working on Axel in 3.5 turns, which is already in training "breathes". But we decided not to insert any program in the competition, because even jump "damp".
- Cooperation with them will continue after the end of the season?
- I hope so. Because the guy was interesting to work with. The kid is good. I think he has good prospects.
- You came to him in Latvia or he to you?
- In the Baltics, we had not worked. Double trained in Sochi, once again he came to St. Petersburg.

Really good to know Deniss is getting the 3A (I have no idea what a "damp" jump means, though - unstable?). And then there's a new news clip about Deniss from Latvian tv:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIR3Z23AnA8

Based on the couple words I recognize, I guess he has finished his season and will stay in Latvia to finish his school exams...Then there's more talk about finance and Urmanov. I'd like to hope everyone sees the value of Deniss working more with him (not to replace his primary coach, just for the jumps) and will work something out.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
Only 2 Latvian women have ever made it to the free skate before, but I think Angelina has an excellent chance to be #3. Her coach thinks she can earn a score of ~165 if all goes well.

Well, she got 141+ :) A lot of room for improvement, especially considering how little +GOE she got on her elements :scowl:

I expect good things from her though. I think she's a beautiful skater :yes: And as such, I've chosen her to be my off-season avatar (what an honor! *sarcasm*) :biggrin:

eta: well okay, her beautiful outfit is my avatar. :laugh:

Last edited:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Angelina is currently #10 on the World Ranking: http://www.isuresults.com/ws/wr/wrladies.htm I know they don't mean much, but still cool! Hopefully we'll see her on the GP next year?

Her skates at Worlds weren't her best, but she did indeed make the FS and she sells her programs well, especially the SP. I'd like to see her work on getting more speed and ice coverage on the StSq--then we'll really see her marks climb. :)

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
An interview with Angelina's coach Ekaterina Platonova. I thought she had some interesting things to say about the conditions in Shanghai for all the skaters.

http://sportacentrs.com/ziemas_sports/slidosana/31032015-kucvalskas_trenere_pc_visu_laiku_bija_saj

TRENER: "Angelina has drawn attention to themselves, waiting for the next season"
Janis Freimanis JanisFreimanis2 @ 2015-03-31 21:02

Figure Skater talented Angelina Kučvaļskas trainer Ekaterina Platonova after returning from the World Championships, where the Latvian figure skater won the 16th place in a conversation with Sportacentrs.com acknowledged that, objectively, that the result may be good, but the place overall at best could be heading higher.

Last week the World Championships in Shanghai in the short program Thursday, 16-year-old Kučvaļska earned 45.74 points, which gave 23rd among 24 participants qualified for the final, but on Saturday optional program she got 95.80 points standings moving up to 16th place. In late January the European Championship in Stockholm Angelina hast prepared a short program of 49.28 points, while an optional program earned 107.09 points, the amount of accumulation of 156.37 points. Although Shanghai Kučvaļska lagged considerably behind in Stockholm shake points (141.54), trainer Platonova indicates that compare World and European Championships is not correct.

"Higher than 15th place this time was not to be realistic. Even if the technical performance of Angelina would have earned more points, the second mark would not be high enough in his neiesildījās one group with leading athletes. The second scale affects both the athletes themselves and the federation's reputation. It unhappy, but motivated by the following year. It was a very good experience for me, standing at the curb in the middle stage. Given that this was her debut in the world championship, the result is very good. The front was just more experienced athletes, which this was not the first world championship, "explains Platonova. Kučvaļskas 16 from Latvian women's figure skating world championships the best achievement in history. So far, the highest point of the world championships were fought Valerie Trifancova 1999 (23rd place) and Alma Lepine in 1992 (24 point).

"The result could want better, but in Shanghai was a totally different vibe. It seemed that all the time turns the head. Top - down at the top - down, and we lived in the same hotel 30 floor. We were like on another planet, and swimming in the sea or swing . Also, our Head of Delegation Latvian Ice Skating Association Chairman of the Board Marika Nugumanova acknowledged that felt the same way. The first time I saw the World Championships, which fell all the athletes. Many pretenders to the place remained outside the top ten finals. Therefore, watch for points and compare with the European Championships would be wrong. "

"Drills and warm-up time, everything was very good. We were not thought to be enough for the audience at. 9:00 in the morning. The short program was some 12-13 thousand, but the choice of programs about 17 000 spectators place arena was almost full. Also, eating was a problem, because the products are different in China and many were not allowed to eat. We have already said that it will be the kitchen, but it was a Chinese performance, "laughs trainer. "Store the products we recommended not to eat at all. One of the Austrian athletes because it started vomiting. Contrasts were huge - a five-star hotel next to the trees by drying clothes. It was not like us, where all around look like the same. There's great wealth coexists with huge poverty."

Before the world championship coach worried not only about acclimation, but also about Kučvaļskas emotional state in a couple of weeks before the race, she was too tense. "Shanghai everything was in order. Only the first few days after the flight was worse, but then she feels solid. On their already watched as the competitors and the warming up she went out like a star itself wanted to manage everything for the first time. Maybe should have a little stress, a fall during the warm-up, so that everything would be so wonderful before the start, "concludes Platonova. "However, in general we are satisfied. We had thought that it will be able to produce better results, which will give 17 to 20 places, but came 16th place with a weaker result."

"Angelina has drawn attention to themselves, so look forward to next season," says the trainer. "In late May and early June, two, three weeks atpūtīsimies to the head with a fresh and new forces to continue to work. But it has to have a clear understanding of the new program, which will begin training camp chisel. Mandatory will be changed in the short program, maybe find the peaceful music, perhaps because "Carmen" is too harsh and sometimes hampering the focus jumps to fulfill. "

From next season Kučvaļska will also be composed of the Latvian Olympic Unit, which could help to arrange an overseas training camp. Platonova explains that after the good results this season should try to find a stronger workout partner to feel the competition not only in competitions, but also in training. This will help prepare for the debut "Grand Prix" stages, which starts on the 12 of the world's best figure skaters. At least one stage Angelina would be able to participate in.

catchie

On the Ice
New video with Angelina by Latvian TV: http://ltv.lsm.lv/lv/raksts/03.04.2015-angelina-kucvalska.id46960/

Not very much of new information, but:
Her new goals: to compete in more championships than last year to build more stability. Also she wants to get in Top 10 at worlds. (Wow. Quite ambitious.)
Coach: there is a thought to get in some camps in summer with skaters at her level of skating so she can feel like in competition daily, not like here- feeling like a star every day.

catchie

On the Ice
Based on the couple words I recognize, I guess he has finished his season and will stay in Latvia to finish his school exams...Then there's more talk about finance and Urmanov. I'd like to hope everyone sees the value of Deniss working more with him (not to replace his primary coach, just for the jumps) and will work something out.

Ha! Are you a secret Latvian or what? :D that's exactly what they said! I'd say it's a smart choice to stay in Latvia until the exams, because he's in 9th grade (just as me - we're both born in 1999) and when you end the 9th grade, you have to pass 4 national exams(Latvian, English, Math, History) - they are the same for every school and are being done in exactly the same day and at the same time. The results in these exams are very important and the grade you get in these exams says if you make it to the high school or not. So, a wise choice for him to stay home.