Promising Latvian skaters | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Promising Latvian skaters

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Ha! Are you a secret Latvian or what? :D that's exactly what they said! I'd say it's a smart choice to stay in Latvia until the exams, because he's in 9th grade (just as me - we're both born in 1999) and when you end the 9th grade, you have to pass 4 national exams(Latvian, English, Math, History) - they are the same for every school and are being done in exactly the same day and at the same time. The results in these exams are very important and the grade you get in these exams says if you make it to the high school or not. So, a wise choice for him to stay home.

Nope...all I know about Latvia is what's on it's Wikipedia page. :laugh: I just picked out the familiar-sounding words & made an educated guess.

Wow, I never would have thought you were that young, your English is so good - but then, I assume everyone here is older unless they give me reason to think otherwise. Would you say most Latvians are fluent in Latvian, Russian & English?

I think Angelina's coach is very sensible, and it seems like they have a good plan set out for her. BTW, is there any info on whether Deniss will go senior next season?

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
New video with Angelina by Latvian TV: http://ltv.lsm.lv/lv/raksts/03.04.2015-angelina-kucvalska.id46960/

Not very much of new information, but:
Her new goals: to compete in more championships than last year to build more stability. Also she wants to get in Top 10 at worlds. (Wow. Quite ambitious.)
Coach: there is a thought to get in some camps in summer with skaters at her level of skating so she can feel like in competition daily, not like here- feeling like a star every day.
Thank you for the news and translation!

I think Angelina can reach top 10. Her Europeans performance was already a better technical skate than the 9th/10th place finishers at Worlds, imo. She just needs more consistency and better PCS. She already has the P/E and INT portions down--it's just a matter of delivering a clean skate and having the speed/SS that'll make judges recognize her performance ability. And, umm, no more R&J-Tango Roxanne crossovers. :slink: (The Carmen was pretty fun though!)

catchie

On the Ice
Nope...all I know about Latvia is what's on it's Wikipedia page. :laugh: I just picked out the familiar-sounding words & made an educated guess.

Wow, I never would have thought you were that young, your English is so good - but then, I assume everyone here is older unless they give me reason to think otherwise. Would you say most Latvians are fluent in Latvian, Russian & English?

I think Angelina's coach is very sensible, and it seems like they have a good plan set out for her. BTW, is there any info on whether Deniss will go senior next season?

Most of the Latvians are usually fluent in 2/3 languages you mentioned - those who are older than ~30 will most likely be fluent in Latvian and Russian, but will understand something of English. Those who are younger than 30 will, respectively will be fluent in Latvian and English, but understand Russian. I personally understand Russian very well, I can write and read, but when it comes to talking I'm an actual mess. Kids like Deniss though speak all of three - Russian, Latvian and English fluently, mainly because their first language is Russian (as the Russian influence in eastern Latvia is pretty big), but Latvian and English are compulsory at school.

And, unfortunately I don't have any info of whether Deniss will go Senior next season.

And thanks for the compliment on my English! This site is a great place to practice for the exams! ;)

Meriona

Spectator
Here is a little video and interview with Angelina (starts around 36:00). The video shows Angelina's everyday routine - her school and skating.
http://ltv.lsm.lv/lv/raksts/06.04.2015-sporta-studija.id47053/

A quick translation of the main points:

*Angelina started figure skating when she was almost 4 years old, now she is 16 years old and a 10th grader.
* The filming crew was pleasantly surprised that Angelina was very professional and grown up for her age, she was very serious about her training despite the fact that cameras was there.
* She was very surprised herself when a little boy asked for her autograph in the dressing room. Little girls in the training facility and school calls her "a little star". Even teachers in school are proud of her and are watching competitions.
* Firstly the host is visiting Angelina's school, a typical secondary school in Riga. Angelina is showing her classroom.

- Are you missing school a lot?
-(Angelina) Yes, a lot. Sometimes I'm not in school at all. Two weeks before championships I'm only training. I'm doing homework at that time.
- How about your grades?
- (A) Now I'm somewhere in the middle range (with my grades), because I was missing school a lot. For the first time in my life I have received 6 (it's an average mark but not too bad)..
- So you was (and are) a very good student?
- (A) Yes.
- Do you have a favourite subject in school? Maybe sport's training?
- (A) No.. Sport is not my favourite. I once had the visual arts and I enjoyed that.
- So you're artist in a soul? With a strong legs?
-(A) laughing

Then the host and Angelina are going to her training rink.

- Now the school day are ended, your classmates are going on dates, but you have training..
- (A) Yes, like always.
- Do you practice here every day?
-(A) Yes.
- Is that a special skating bag?
- (A) Yes, you can buy those in skating equipment shops.
- And what's in your bag?
- Jacket, waistcoat, my skates.. etc.
- How you are deciding on your costumes?
-(A) I am thinking together with a dressmaker and my coach and in the end we got a beautiful costumes. I have different costume for my trainings, but for the competitions it is made with crystals and other embellishment.

Angelina is teaching host some moves (the host is famous former Latvian track and field athlete).

- Are you doing something else in your trainings beside skating and workout? (Host says that she has read about Gracie Gold taking ballet and acting lessons)
-(A) No, we have 'dry practices', choreography training, ballet, but it's not outside training facility. When I'm skating my programs I always have better marks for technical content, I have to work on my skating skills (second mark).
-(Angelina's coach) She is often not pleased with herself and strives for an improvement and moving forward. She wants to skate in the Olympics and we all are helping her.
- Are you thinking about 2018 and Olympic games?
-(A) Yes, it's my dream. I think it will come true. We will see.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Thank you very much, Meriona! Glad to see Angelina is ambitious, but she also knows what she needs to work on. :)

Sandpiper

Record Breaker

catchie

On the Ice
TROPHEE BOMPARD FOR KUCHVALSKA!! ;) Yayyyy! Isn't this the first GP assignment for Latvia EVER?

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
A couple new articles about Angelina and Deniss came out.

http://sportacentrs.com/ziemas_sports/slidosana/15062015-dailslidotaja_kucvalska_nakamaja_sezona_s

Figure skater Kučvaļska next season will compete in the big "Grand Prix"

Gatis Druvietis author 2015-06-15 18:55

Latvian best figure skater Angelina Kučvaļska (17) included in the start adult "Grand Prix" stage. In this sport in our country in recent years, there has been nothing like that. Season wins Kučvaļska world ranking concluded high 10 place and was awarded the International Skating Union (ISU) attention.

"Grand Prix" staged calendar does not include the legendary playing Yevgenij Pluschenko (next season he plans to return to the big sports) and the London Olympic champion Adelina Sotņikova (due to injury she released almost the entire season), but the two stages sought mighty Japanese Mao Asada (triple world champion has not participated since 2014, March).

Angelina Kučvaļska today was included in next season's "Grand Prix" of member list. 13 15th In November she will be able to participate in the prestigious French stage "Trophée Bompard" - Bordeaux will compete in 12 elite daiļslidotājas, including last year's European and world champion Yelizaveta Tuktamiševa.

As already reported, the 2014 European Championship Kučvaļska won 7th place, but the world championship ranked 16th position. They are Latvian women's figure skating records. Thanks to the victories in the smaller races, the end of the season, our figure skaters managed to finish 10th in the world ranking. A very successful season gave her voucher to the Latvian Olympic unit frame.

http://sportacentrs.com/ziemas_sports/slidosana/22052015-dailslidotajs_vasiljevs_dosies_uz_trenini

Vasilyev will go to the training at the Olympic champion in Sochi

Gatis Druvietis author 2015-05-22 17:01

Best Latvian daiļslidotājs Denis Vasilyev (15) is going to a new breakthrough, as next season he will debut in adult competitions which take more complex elements.

2015 junior world championship during the Vassiliev bench was not only a trainer Ingrid Snieškiene (Lithuania), but also the 1994 Olympic champion Alexei Urmanovs (Russia), who helped as a consultant.

Last year, the junior world championship daugavpilietis won a record eighth place, but this year finished in seventh position. "Slowly I approached the podium," admits Denis Vasilyev , while trainer Ingrid Snieškiene says: "I am delighted that we are making progress and with small steps move up. sports teams is very important. We hope that with the help of Urmanova next season progresēsim large steps. "

Vasilyev summer will be 16-year anniversary, and it means that next season he will be able to participate in adult competitions. To be able to compete at a higher level, you need a more complex program. The world is only a few coaches who can train quality triple Axel out. Denis Vasilyev June will go to Sochi at the Urmanova to learn more complex figure skating elements and construction of a new short program.

Our daiļslidotājs now included in the Latvian Olympic Unit frame formulation. Next season will begin with the junior "Grand Prix" sections will start in 2016 at the World Youth Winter Olympics in Lillehammer, as well as adult European Championship and World Championship.