Promising Latvian skaters | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Promising Latvian skaters

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Lukas Kaugars now will be skating for Latvia instead of the U.S. (Hat tips to Doris and Nirti :).)

Quote from LK's website (I have not attempted to translate):
"Kāds kurš saka, "tas nav izdarāms" nekad nedrīkstētu pārtraukt kādu, kurš to dara."

Copying from The Edge:

... The headline on LK's home page:
It's a season of change.......representing Latvia!
http://www.lukaskaugars.com/

And on his "About" page:
Starting this season, I will compete internationally representing Latvia.
http://www.lukaskaugars.com/about.html

... from his "Donate" page:

....My goal for this season is to compete at the European Championships (Jan 25-31, 2016 in Bratislava, Slovakia) and the World Championships (March 28-April 3, 2016 in Boston, MA). However, the process to get there is long and expensive. On top of training expenses, I have to travel to multiple competitions throughout the year, including some in Europe....
http://www.lukaskaugars.com/services.html

Last edited:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I can't say I've seen much of Lukas's skating, but he will have an uphill battle against Deniss for sure. Nice to see the little Latvian team growing, though. And unless Glebs Basins has improved a lot over the summer, Deniss really has no competition within Latvia, so this could make things a bit interesting.

catchie

On the Ice
Quote from LK's website (I have not attempted to translate):
"Kāds kurš saka, "tas nav izdarāms" nekad nedrīkstētu pārtraukt kādu, kurš to dara."

Someone who says "it's impossible" should never stop someone who does the impossible.

:)

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
cant see it, i guess need to add him as friend but he is too cute in that video, certainly loves to be under the spotlight and amazing biellman too! that costume though :laugh:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
cant see it, i guess need to add him as friend but he is too cute in that video, certainly loves to be under the spotlight and amazing biellman too! that costume though :laugh:

The video on his FB was very short - just an I-spin attempt that needs some work...but I think he can get there again :) His dad wrote "I think you can do it better" and his coach wrote "turn quicker!"

Edit - the entries are up for the JGP Riga. Deniss is on the list, as well as Glebs Basins and Daniels Roscicks. For junior ladies, Diana Nikitina, Vlada Laha, and Darija Shatibelko. Also a jr. ice dance team, Nataliya ALEKSANDROVA / Ricards EVELINS.

Last edited:

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
Edit - the entries are up for the JGP Riga. Deniss is on the list, as well as Glebs Basins and Daniels Roscicks. For junior ladies, Diana Nikitina, Vlada Laha, and Darija Shatibelko. Also a jr. ice dance team, Nataliya ALEKSANDROVA / Ricards EVELINS.
Thanks, gallavich. It's a pity that there are so few skaters in Latvia who are actually latvian by nationality. I guess the skaters of russian nationality have "adopted" the tradition of figure skating from Russia, whereas latvians don't have such a tradition. I know this probably sounds too nationalistic, but it's not meant that way. It's just that as a latvian I truly regret that this sport is not more popular among my fellow latvians (by nationality). Still, I am definitely proud of Deniss and Angelina even though they are russian by nationality - they are still from Latvia, and are even coached mostly here.

Last edited:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Deniss and Angelina are Russian? :confused: As far as I know they are 100% Latvian born and raised, with Latvian passports...how are they not Latvian by nationality?

Last edited:

Abraxis12345

Final Flight
Maybe she means not ethnically Latvian. Vasilievs sounds like he is ethnically Russian, as does Nikitina.

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
Maybe she means not ethnically Latvian. Vasilievs sounds like he is ethnically Russian, as does Nikitina.
Yes, thanks, that's what I meant. My English is still far from perfect, and sometimes I mix up words.

Deniss and Angelina are Russian? :confused: As far as I know they are 100% Latvian born and raised, with Latvian passports...how are they not Latvian by nationality?
It's as Abraxis12345 wrote - I meant that they are not ethnically Latvian. Just mixed up words/terms - English is not my native language, and I still make mistakes while speaking or writing in it.

Last edited:

catchie

On the Ice
I actually think that only Kuchvalska and Nikitina suit by term "ethnically Russian" - Denis's story is quite different given that he is from Latgale and both I and lauravvv know that this region has been under Russia for quite some time in history so its roots and traditions are very Russia-alike. It is no secret that many people who live there know both Russian and Latvian languages (Russian even more) fluently and kids are raised by Latgalian traditions which includes both Russian and Latvian roots. So I don't think we should refer to Deniss as "ethically Russian" but "ethically Latgalian". But this of course is just my opinion.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Yes, thanks, that's what I meant. My English is still far from perfect, and sometimes I mix up words.

It's as Abraxis12345 wrote - I meant that they are not ethnically Latvian. Just mixed up words/terms - English is not my native language, and I still make mistakes while speaking or writing in it.

That's ok, I understand now. As for not so many ethnic Latvians being involved in skating, perhaps that will change if Latvia's skaters are successful and the visibility and popularity of the sport continues to grow.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Saw him the first time. He's amazing! I'm a fan :biggrin: I hope he will have equally good Free Program if not better :dance:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Congratulations to Deniss on his first JGP medal...hopefully just the first of many to come. :cheer:

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
Congrats to Deniss! I really enjoyed his beautiful, stretched-out movements and deep edges. Lovely performance! I wanted him to win.:slink: