2015 Challenge Cup The Hague 19-22 February

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Nirti

Medalist
First time in five years a Dutch lady figure skater is sent to the (senior) Worlds! (She is also going to the Junior Worlds.) Maybe first Dutch figure skater in five years, period, I'm not sure we've had a guy anytime recently, either.

The last dutch guy at senior worlds was Marcus Deen in... 1993 :(

Winnie_20

Record Breaker

Oh wow, I had no idea! (I didn't start following figure skating until 2008 or so.) Way, way before my 'fandom' time, that, and I've never even heard of the guy.

Flaya

Match Penalty

He only went to Worlds once, but was the national champion between 1993 to 1997. I am close to 100% sure there were no prerequisites to make it to Worlds at that time, so it's strange he did not get another chance.

Nirti

Medalist
No, they were no prerequisites, but I have the impression that the dutch fed had some "required level" to send a skater or not. For example Boyito Mulder was sometimes sent to Europeans but never to Worlds...

Richie

Rinkside
thankx for the great pics. here my review as it was my first visit to Challenge Cup. Bought a dayticket for only EUR 5 for Satruday and with a great hotelpackagedeal went to our governmental capital The Hague. great venue it was and the event took place at the icehockeyhall. Winnie it was cold inside as you mentioned before and with only up to 300 spectators not really crowded but it was very nice. pair's and men's sp I visited and also ladies fp with no clean skate of any of the skaters but a superb 3rd spot for our Dutch champion Niki Wories who will go to World's. During a foodbreak we met also our former champions Joan Haanappel and Sjoukje Dijkstra as they were sitting at the table next to us. Nicest moment of the day was when I checked out the K&C during an iceresurfacing break and Ivan Righini came by. after having a picture we talked for a while and what a nice guy he is. very understandable that women like him so much. he mentioned that after this event he was going back to Italyto see his family and then go to China for World's where his Michael Jackson medley will be enjoyed by the Chinese audience. after in total 5 hours we left the venue and next year another Challenge Cup for me.:)