2015 Worlds Ladies Short Program March 26 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2015 Worlds Ladies Short Program March 26

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I think it's a random draw within the groups, it's just they're grouped based on rankings so Liza isn't necessarily last. I could be wrong!

You are correct. I have removed the numbers and noted that it's a random draw.

TwinnerA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
So how did Anne Line Gjersen #94 in the World rankings qualify for Worlds rather than her sister Camilla Gjersen (#76)?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Her federation gets to pick who goes to Worlds, from all competitors who have satisfied the TES requirement. They don't have to pick the skater with the highest world ranking. They can pick the winner of their Nationals for example.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Her federation gets to pick who goes to Worlds, from all competitors who have satisfied the TES requirement. They don't have to pick the skater with the highest world ranking. They can pick the winner of their Nationals for example.

Also it bears pointing that Camilla has a higher ranking cause she did a whole bunch of Challenge Series comps, so rack up some major points

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Camilla's jumping techniques might be a little better than her sister, but they are really so similar to each other. Just check wiki Camilla is 12-14 national champion but lost to her sister this year. But she didn't go to Sochi last year even when she was the national champion. We never know.

Mirunna

Record Breaker
But she didn't go to Sochi last year even when she was the national champion. We never know.

To be fair, IIRC, Anne Line was the one who managed to get the Olympic spot at Nebelhorn Trophy. And while I find Camilla's skating more pleasant, I think Anne Line is having the harder content and she is more consistent.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Just who decide on the nationality of the judges? It is outrageous it is being allowed called 'WORLD' championship even taking place in China. It might as well be called the European Championship just like Sochi. What a sham. The last time I checked there's more than 1 continent in the world. If the technical committee is lead by Lakernik just like at Junior Ladies, then indeed all my suspicion about ISU has been pushing for European lady to lead the sport is true. Long time planning.

In any true fair and credible sport, nationality and race shouldn't matter, it is sad figure skating as a sport appear to be moving backwards back to the dark ages due to insular mindset of its senior management who are all looking for their life time achievement pension bonus, and clearly prioritize them over what is good and decent for the sport. Is Cinquanta so arrogant to believe there are no competent judges outside Europe? Especially in Asia where the championship is to take place. What are the chances we have an all Asian panel at next world championship in Europe?!

I just looked at ISU communications 1909 and the judging panel lineup for Worlds Ladies is just like the one for JUNIOR ladies: ALL EUROPEAN JUDGES AGAIN! Selected from:

CZE
DEN
EST
FIN
FRA
GER
GBR
ISR
RUS
SVK
SWE
SUI
UKR

No CHN, JPN, USA, CAN

How was the technical committee allowed to get away with this twice in a row?

Last edited:

NaVi

Medalist
There was a Canadian and an American at the drawings...

(I actually wish Europe sans Russia would be combined into one big federation)

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Does the guy in charge of the ISU tech panels even have anything to do with selecting judges? Maybe I'm wrong but isn't it a situation where certain judges qualify to judge and then they simply draw names? I honestly don't know the exact process but I thought that is how it was done. Anyway...how about we watch the skaters skate and then make our accusations. I think we already know who will show up with burnt :popcorn: regardless of who judges it.

I guess we can now just say "willz be robbed" :laugh2:

Last edited:

NaVi

Medalist
I think there should be a redundant tech panel for ISU championships with some kind resolution process when they come to different conclusions.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I know I'm going to get bashed for saying this. But honestly, I don't care what country the judges and officials are from. I DON'T care. I DON'T care who is on the tech panel. I don't care if there's conspiracy (Which I don't believe because there's no definite proof in that some conspiracies are real. Until there is dead on proof from somewhere that's reliable, I won't believe in them) on judging. That's not what we should be focusing on. What we SHOULD be focusing out energy on is on excitement for Worlds and to see on shady livestreams, Icenetwork, or whatever, out favorites skate their hearts out to try to get on the podium.

We should be getting excited! Not getting all grumbly like you didn't get to watch a show or if you had to go to a boring meeting.

I believe that the judges' selection procedure goes like this. All countries that have qualified judges put their names (the countries' names) in hat for a random draw. If your country is drawn, then that national federation choses which individual they want to send. Isn't that it?

There are lots of European countries in the ISU, not so many North American or Asian.

peg

Medalist
There are lots of European countries in the ISU, not so many North American or Asian.
:think: Hmmm... maybe some states and provinces should consider separating from their respective countries to rectify this imbalance. You know, for the sake of figure skating fans ;)

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
:think: Hmmm... maybe some states and provinces should consider separating from their respective countries to rectify this imbalance. You know, for the sake of figure skating fans ;)

Not for the sake of skating fans, but for the skaters to trust they will get a fair deal. That the world championship can be judged with true impartiality and an international cultural view of the sport in all aspect of arts and sport, rather than the selected privileged few based on affiliation, backdoor deals and national/cultural biases/prejudices however subtle they may be.

With anonymous judging in place despite numerous controversial decisions of the past, ISU has shown they can pretty much do whatever they want to determine a likely outcome, since only they alone know how specific judges with their preference and history are likely to reward scores. While the federations are to pick their own judges, what is stopping anyone advice the federation who to pick? With this privilege knowledge themselves alone, it is like they can influence both the judge and the juror.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
os168 said:
In any true fair and credible sport, nationality and race shouldn't matter...

And yet, you are going on a rant about... nationalities.

I know I'm going to get bashed for saying this. But honestly, I don't care what country the judges and officials are from. I DON'T care. I DON'T care who is on the tech panel. I don't care if there's conspiracy (Which I don't believe because there's no definite proof in that some conspiracies are real. Until there is dead on proof from somewhere that's reliable, I won't believe in them) on judging. That's not what we should be focusing on. What we SHOULD be focusing out energy on is on excitement for Worlds and to see on shady livestreams, Icenetwork, or whatever, out favorites skate their hearts out to try to get on the podium.

We should be getting excited! Not getting all grumbly like you didn't get to watch a show or if you had to go to a boring meeting.

Same here. People could at least wait with their complaints until the actual event happens... I prefer the sport and the art to the soap operas.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
SoCFSA : State of Colorado Figure Skating Federation :biggrin:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
And yet, you are going on a rant about... nationalities.

Of course nationality matters, have you not learnt anything from the past events? The fact the last years ladies world championship went to Japan has many reasons why this year's selection ends up the way it did with no Asian judges on the panel. Or the fact Asian skaters this year imo has been largely suppressed no matter how well they skated. ISU seems like to rotate. While there's nothing wrong with that, but if this is a fair sport, those sort of meddling won't be necessary. It makes the result seem slanted, when an appearance of impartial judging panel can make the winning results feel more credible. I think Liza and Elena probably have this in the bag, but I want their win feel deserving not because of an appearance of slanted European panel. It does no good for the sport. It isn't necessary if the skater can deliver.

ISU have done it to the juniors and now seniors. How can these panel be considered as WORLD..LY.

Fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me twice, shame on me.

Fool me thrice, I am clearly too foolish for this sport for suckers. Adios sayonara poka baga!