Boyang Jin | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Boyang Jin

Eloyse

On the Ice
A late congratulation to Boyang:yahoo:You are the best!!! In my heart you are the real champion!!!!
Now, I have very conservative expectations about his advancement in pcs and goe. His skating skills and dance skills are actually okay, spins are good, but his lack of steps before jumps and flow out of jumps cannot be very easily improved. But I am still optimistic about his chance to medal at gpf and worlds. A bronze at gpf or worlds is possible. I just wish 1) he stays injury free, 2) no mental meltdown at nhk just like last year's gpf (when he was intimidated by Uno), 3) maybe 2X4lz+1X4t+2X3A in the lp is a better choice? It seems he's able to get huge goe on 4lz, but his 4s is not as stable. But whatever, I support him to do whatever he wants to do. Goooo Boyang!:hap93:

s_parks

Record Breaker
Something I noticed was that he doesn't look very winded or tired when he finishes. Or is that just me? Really impressive given his jump content and everything else one has to do to get levels, etc. Anyways, I really hope he gets more consistent! Good luck at NHK! :cheer:

berry8

Final Flight
I am sure Boyang will be able to qualify for gpf.
That competition is going to be epic !!! :cheer:

sajoya

On the Ice
I am totally Jinsane right now! Season of Jinsanity!!!

NHK is going to be crazy vs Hanyu!!! Hopefully some bromance moment between the two.

I heard that Jin is a fan of Yuzuru. Well, maybe they can make a deal at NHK Trophy. Yuzuru can teach him how to stabilize his quad sal and in return Jin can teach Yuzuru the quad lutz :clap:

Now this boy is going to make history (actually, he already did). Good luck, Jin. I'm excited to see how you'll develop in the future :hap10:

Tastetherainbow

Medalist
I heard that Jin is a fan of Yuzuru. Well, maybe they can make a deal at NHK Trophy. Yuzuru can teach him how to stabilize his quad sal and in return Jin can teach Yuzuru the quad lutz

Actually, Jin is already quite stable in the 4S. Yuzu should teach him the quad loop :2thumbs:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Something I noticed was that he doesn't look very winded or tired when he finishes. Or is that just me? Really impressive given his jump content and everything else one has to do to get levels, etc. Anyways, I really hope he gets more consistent! Good luck at NHK! :cheer:

That's what amazes me, too. I'm curious how he trains...has his coach had other high-level skaters before? Where does that stamina come from? I expect he will get more media attention soon...would really like to see an interview with English translations.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
http://www.sports.ru/others/figure-skating/1034541473.html

Mishin's interesting opinion, google translate

Coach Alexei Mishin believes that judges are going to reduce the estimates for the components of the Chinese Jin Boyan.
"As Jin Boyana, imagine - it does five quadruple jump in the long program. And he is capable of it. On average, each jump, let's bring him to 12 points. A total of 60. What grace can compensate for such a sum? Nothing.
Therefore, I fear the next. At the Grand Prix in China Jin Bojan I did not all jump cleanly. But if he begins to deal with them, then the judges have a problem - how to understate his assessment of the components! Raise others above 9.5, even 10 points will not work - then the components have to understate Jin Boyan.
Those who think that his program - "run-jump", I answer: this boy is quite elegant. He simply does not have the charm name. And it does not curve or scythe. Normal guy. Already he is good in terms of components. And when he has them tighten, and viewers will get used to it - it will not be possible to put such a low second estimate. And then the problem will cover the entire International Skating Union. This problem is called - what to do? "- Said Mishin.

qwertyskates

Medalist
http://www.sports.ru/others/figure-skating/1034541473.html

Mishin's interesting opinion, google translate

Coach Alexei Mishin believes that judges are going to reduce the estimates for the components of the Chinese Jin Boyan.
"As Jin Boyana, imagine - it does five quadruple jump in the long program. And he is capable of it. On average, each jump, let's bring him to 12 points. A total of 60. What grace can compensate for such a sum? Nothing.
Therefore, I fear the next. At the Grand Prix in China Jin Bojan I did not all jump cleanly. But if he begins to deal with them, then the judges have a problem - how to understate his assessment of the components! Raise others above 9.5, even 10 points will not work - then the components have to understate Jin Boyan.
Those who think that his program - "run-jump", I answer: this boy is quite elegant. He simply does not have the charm name. And it does not curve or scythe. Normal guy. Already he is good in terms of components. And when he has them tighten, and viewers will get used to it - it will not be possible to put such a low second estimate. And then the problem will cover the entire International Skating Union. This problem is called - what to do? "- Said Mishin.

Not a HUGE fan yet, I'm a sucker for SS like Patrick and Han and jumps like Yuzuru's but that 4lz-3t....:drama:

However, this sort of frank opinion by Mishin is kinda disturbing...is it even legal to talk about depressing Jin's PCS artificially to keep him off the podium? Are they considering moving the goalposts in a big way to *prevent* Jin from winning under CoP? Wasn't figure skating plagued by allegations of "fixing"? What is the point of angering 1.6 billion potential Chinese viewers by discriminating against a Chinese skater instead of embracing him and winning a huge new global audience for the sport?

I mean, i'm glad that Mishin is being candid, and revealing the buzz going on behind the scenes, but this truly is disturbing if true.

Last edited:

qwertyskates

Medalist
A few more thoughts about Jin the game-changer...we're familiar with Patrick, Yuzuru, Javier, Jason, Shoma, etc. each with very specific strengths and styles. He's bringing to the pantheon a new dimension - insane jumps. Instead of threatening, imho, it just makes it more *interesting* to watch fs, as he won't ever podium until his PCS catches up anyway. All those guys before will beat him easily, with slightly less TES but a huge PCS margin over Jin, as we saw at CoC. If Voronov hadn't skated one of his greatest flop of a program, I believe Jin would have netted bronze, not silver.

And if Jin improves his edges, SS, transitions and proves to be a great skater, then kudos to him. If he delivers great performances, he deserves to get on the podium, period, like everyone else.

Bumdid

Record Breaker
A few more thoughts about Jin the game-changer...we're familiar with Patrick, Yuzuru, Javier, Jason, Shoma, etc. each with very specific strengths and styles. He's bringing to the pantheon a new dimension - insane jumps. Instead of threatening, imho, it just makes it more *interesting* to watch fs, as he won't ever podium until his PCS catches up anyway. All those guys before will beat him easily, with slightly less TES but a huge PCS margin over Jin, as we saw at CoC. If Voronov hadn't skated one of his greatest flop of a program, I believe Jin would have netted bronze, not silver.

And if Jin improves his edges, SS, transitions and proves to be a great skater, then kudos to him. If he delivers great performances, he deserves to get on the podium, period, like everyone else.

I doubt it. Voronov was 10 points behind after the short program. He would need around 181 in free skate score to beat Jin and his personal best was around 167. I doubt the judges would given him that high even if he skate perfectly.

s_parks

Record Breaker
Voronov is probably not the best example- his skating is pretty weak compared to skaters like, say, brown, and judges aren't that inclined to give him pcs that would place him over jin.

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
Congrats Jin on your first Sr. GP medal and those quads! :clapper:

Will update his OP when I find some time ;)

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Everyone is so overwhelmed with Yuzu they all forgot about Jin! Congrats on new SB :hap10: His clean 4Lz counter is going up :)

skaterr

On the Ice
Boyang is getting better and better. I hope he can make it to GPF. Good luck in FS:yes2:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I have not forgotten Boyang! That was an amazing performance. He'll be a threat to many favorites at the GPF and even tomorrow.
Thank you Boyang, for making things very scary and interesting at NHK. :thumbsup:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I'm sure he will :) He needs only third place to make it and I doubt he will be lower than second with the points advantage he has.

lost3iron

More Rock & Roll please!
On the Ice
Well Boyang was amazing today!!! Count me in as fan. I don't understand why people think he lacks artistry, he is already better in that department than many other more "mature" skaters. I believe his PCS will rise in the upcoming competitions.

Last edited: