Sota Yamamoto | Page 41 | Golden Skate

Sota Yamamoto

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Some fans assume/hope that Sota changed his coach to Onishi, but so far there has been no official announcement about that. The sentence "この日は幼少時のコーチだった大西勝敬コーチからアドバイスをもらった。" means "On that day he (Sota) received advice from Yoshinori Onishi coach who used to be his coach when he was little. It only implies Onishi was there with Sota and gave advice to Sota on that particular day.

This TV guide interviews with skaters are essentially the same as previously reported by other media but a little bit more detailed. Sota said a few months after he moved to kansai, NTC (National Training Center) was changed to Kanku (Kanku Ice Arena), and his training environment improved. He now trains at Kanku, Nishinomiya and Rinkai. Rinkai is where Onishi coaches, so it seems possible that Sota gets coached by Onishi on a temporary basis while Hayashi is unavailable. We still don't know whether it's a long-term coaching relationship.

Personally I would like him to change his coach to Onishi. For one thing Onishi has much more coaching experience than Hayashi and Onishi guided Machida to Olympics, and for another, assuming Sochi is back to Kishiwada in Osaka prefecture, Rinkai rink is much closer to his home. Nishinomiya rink is located in Nishinomiya, Hyogo prefecture and it takes 1.5 hours from Kishiwada station, while Kanku and Rinkai are within 30 minutes. Especially these days Japan has seen a rapid surge in coronavirus cases and a long distance commute should be kept to a minimum out of caution, IMO.

KiraraChin

Medalist
Thanks, rRainbow for the explanation! I guess it's possible Onishi is like a secondary coach, or something? I agree, being closer to home is definitely a plus these days!

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
This blogger kindly posted a partial transcript of the TV program aired on June 9, 2020 entitled “JSPORTS Figure Skating Academy” in which Kenji Miyamoto was a guest speaker. The original presentation was held in September, 2019. https://ameblo.jp/kmn-psn/entry-12613867344.html#cbox

Translation of the part in which Kenji talks about Sota:
<山本草太選手>
Behind the scenes talk on SP “Poeta” by Keiji before video clip starts:

Q: What led you to choreograph Poeta?
A: His coach told me that his program was Poeta [laughter]. That’s all there’s to it [everybody cracking up].
Q: How did you feel about it when you heard it?
A: At that moment I didn’t feel anything odd, but I wondered if it would suit him and if he would be able to pull it off. I had expected something like piano piece, but out of nowhere they gave me such impactful music and I worried about the outcome…. But once I started choreography Sota-kun practiced quite a lot. He kept on practicing the choreo, and when I said to him “You just did great moves.” he kept repeating these moves forever. So I said “We are done with that part,” [everybody cracking up] and said “Practice where you cannot do well.” [everybody cracking up]
Q: He is such a hard worker [laughter].
A: Every skater has favorite moves, after all. He kept on practicing his favorite moves, so I said to him “We are done with it (in kansai intonation).”
Q: Which part was perfected, if you remember?
A: The last ending pose [laughter]. “That one is good; form, direction, and everything, so can you please practice steps,” I said during the session [everybody cracking up].
Q: Keeping that in mind please watch and comment on the video.

-- Video starts.--
Q: He has a great attractive aura, even when he is standing still.
A: His hair style, I think I told him to style his hair like that. This one, at first his free leg’s knee pointed a little downward, so I told him to make sure to push his knee outward in this direction (giving a demonstration), this is what he needed to do.
He was, simply, so fast that I almost wanted to slow down, and that the ice rink looked so small. His one push gave him a huge glide across the ice.
(The second spin was about to start on screen) This is where I wanted him to make a strong impact by his dance on the judges, so he had danced after the first spin on the other side.
Q: (Sota in the middle of steps) Beside smooth gliding, what else is the strong point of Yamamoto senshu’s skating?
A: Good and beautiful posture. He keeps his posture in movements.

-- Kenji explains Sota’s each element from twizzle to ina bauer --
Q: (Sota clapping his hands) Did he repeat it many times in practice?
A: Yes he did [laughter].
Q: It sure is a cool choreo.
(Last spin) His face direction, his line of sight, these are what I told him many times to pay attention to, so I hope he will probably nail the last pose [everybody’s laughter). Woo hoo! Like that [everybody’s laughter] “Did you see me?” like that [everybody’s laughter].
Q: So the ending pose was his favorite. Did you two come up with that pose?
A: No, it was my idea.
Q: What do you think of this Poeta now that you’ve re-watched it? This is the piece you worked on when you were very young.
A: It was marvelous for sure, but I wish I could have added a little more (hand wave gesture) ….sort of intensity and softness. In some parts he should have relaxed more, while in other parts he should have been more powerful. He didn’t have to be energetic all the way, and I wish he could have breathed more easily… But, I tell you what, Sota-kun was (at that time) still a junior. That’s right. But he skated well and he was cool.

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
This blog update reports on the TV program about the senior training camp aired on Aug 7, 2020. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyMISWHtEDQ&feature=youtu.be
Sota segment starts from 06:54. Translation:

06:56
Sota Yamamoto made a big decision before this season.
07:03
His 7th place finish at last year’s Japanese Nationals led him to think he needed to make a big change. He changed his training base from Nagoya to Kansai, taking a leave from Chukyo University. He is determined to focus entirely on skating.
07:23
He is looking more dignified.
07:29
Sota: In fact the number of competitions is decreasing and inevitably we all will be given only a limited number of competitions. I have no idea which competition I will go to next time, but I will definitely cherish each opportunity and I will do my best and have a good time.

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker
That's good to hear that the boys were having fun! ^ ^ I am surprised that Sota actually talked...
Um, what does the in-demand towel say? (the word after 'onsen')

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
The word after 温泉(hot springs) is 同好会 (club). Above "温泉同好会" is the traditional “onsen mark” that features a circular line representing a hot spring bath, along with three curved vertical lines resembling steam.

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Thanks for sharing! I don't suppose she shares any new info? O_O I suspect they're prohibited to do so because of the archive tickets, but no harm in asking. :]

According to Komichi, the blogger, Sota was not sitting still and often touched his hair, camera, his fan, earpiece, towel, glass, etc. Komichi remembers Sota used to be a little rascal in elementary school, and she feels Sota behaved like a hyperactive elementary school brat. <--She was just kidding. He kept smiling for 2 hours except for the time when boys talked about skating. He talked a lot and even teased Kazuki and Taichiro and helped Mitsuki talk. Throughout the show they talked in kansai dialect. Sota said 「歌ってとか言わんといてや♪」(Don’t tell me to sing♪), so we won’t be able to hear him sing anytime soon.

After the show the boys said they wanted to talk more because there were some questions they didn’t have time to answer. Therefore Quadruple Axel recorded the talk after the online show was over, and it will be released later in the magazine.

KiraraChin

Medalist
According to Komichi, the blogger, Sota was not sitting still and often touched his hair, camera, his fan, earpiece, towel, glass, etc. Komichi remembers Sota used to be a little rascal in elementary school, and she feels Sota behaved like a hyperactive elementary school brat. <--She was just kidding. He kept smiling for 2 hours except for the time when boys talked about skating. He talked a lot and even teased Kazuki and Taichiro and helped Mitsuki talk. Throughout the show they talked in kansai dialect. Sota said 「歌ってとか言わんといてや♪」(Don’t tell me to sing♪), so we won’t be able to hear him sing anytime soon.

After the show the boys said they wanted to talk more because there were some questions they didn’t have time to answer. Therefore Quadruple Axel recorded the talk after the online show was over, and it will be released later in the magazine.

Awwww that's so nice! Thank you rRainbow for the info!

surimi

Record Breaker

Glad to hear the boys had so much to say :) hehe, it sounds like Sota's been asked to sing multiple times since he said it was his hobby ^ ^ It sounds like good teasing material for his friends, don't you think? ^ ^ Maybe the onsen club will make karaoke bars their next stop after a bath and a meal.

Anyhow, according to this blog entry, Sota produced some sort of progress report for Yamaha? https://ameblo.jp/shelley39/entry-12617700086.html But it doesn't seem he says anything we don't know yet...

KiraraChin

Medalist
EVERYONE!!! :cheer2:
Sota has debuted his new SP at an event at Rinkai Sports Centre (RINSPO)!
You can see it here, from 24': https://www.instagram.com/p/CD8MYBjpTYo/

I gotta say, I like it! The StSq looks really cool and he has the SS to pull off the fast music. The costume looks nice, too!
The technical content is watered down here but it seems his layout will be the same or very similar to last season's, with 2 quads + 3A.

Gabby30

On the Ice
EVERYONE!!! :cheer2:
Sota has debuted his new SP at an event at Rinkai Sports Centre (RINSPO)!
You can see it here, from 24': https://www.instagram.com/p/CD8MYBjpTYo/

I gotta say, I like it! The StSq looks really cool and he has the SS to pull off the fast music. The costume looks nice, too!
The technical content is watered down here but it seems his layout will be the same or very similar to last season's, with 2 quads + 3A.

That's... his Poeta costume? :eek:

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Thanks Kirara, for the info.

Komichi gives us on her blog links to more fanarts. https://ameblo.jp/kmn-psn/
The last part of the blog is about Yamaha report which surimi referred to. https://www.facebook.com/201289760388375/posts/970385030145507/

This is the online progress reports to Yahama by the 14th recipients of their funds. By visiting them Yamaha wants to encourage the athletes they support and follow up on their plans going forward.

■ Sota Yamamoto (figure skater)
Aiming for the Beijing Olympics

“Since I could not practice on ice during the time I self-isolated, I did land training and reaffirmed the importance of workout. If things go as scheduled the competition will start in September (t/n: Chubu Regionals (9/25-27), so I’ve been working hard to stabilize my quads which I had started last season, while mainly practicing on ice the choreography of my new short and long programs so that the choreographic moves become second nature. I will continue to focus on the on ice practice to be prepared for the upcoming competition.”

Side Note: Another featured athlete is a freestyle skier, Ikuma Horishima. He won gold in Moguls, and won another gold in Dual moguls at the 2017 World Championships in March. At 2019 Universiade he won gold in Dual moguls and bronze in Moguls. He is aiming at the No. 1 world ranking in Moguls.

surimi

Record Breaker
Thank you for the news!
The new SP choreo looks good to me! Sota looks confident and fast, it's obvious he is working on his expressivity. I am glad we got a chance to see him. It looks like he has a new initial position in his last spin? I'll need to rewatch.
The video itself is quite choppy for me, especially the sound is barely recognizable, like a shuffling program on an old TV that you just cannot tune in - does this happen for everyone, or is there something wrong with my browser for this particular video format?
I wonder if the Poeta costume is his finished SP costume for this season. Surely it can't be the old one as he's grown a lot?

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Video and audio qualities are low in the original recorded video so it is not your browser's problem. I had to turn up audio volume. I have no complaints because we got to see Sota's SP a lot sooner than expected thanks to the person who recorded and shared it. About costume, I assume his new costumes are being made since Yamaha grant money is to be used for his costumes, boots and blades. Also he said previously in an interview that he would go for gorgeous costumes this season.