Sota Yamamoto | Page 32 | Golden Skate

Sota Yamamoto

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker
Okay, here I am finally with my Sota-centric observations from Finland.
I have to repeat that I am happy I could come and cheer for Sota both during one of the best programs of his life, and during one of the worst (in terms of falls).
I went with my fellow Sota enthusiast, my mum. ^ ^ How lucky for me to have someone in my family who cheers for the same skaters as me!
We arrived on Thursday afternoon, and missed men's SP practice. We met an online friend of mine at the airport who also cheers for Sota, and since she's Japanese, she kindly brought a copy of the new 'Quadruple' for me and I could buy it from her. (I haven't gotten around to the Sota article yet, though fortunately a translation has already been shared online) She also lent me a Japanese banner to brandish during Shoma's and Yuhana's performances. I had my own Sota banner. I hear that some fans get their banners signed by skaters, but that won't be the case with mine as I wash it. ;) Lastly, big thanks to my Japanese friends for their help with writing my letters for Sota (longish one) and Yuhana (short one). Especially with the last minute additions.

The first I saw of Sota were the Friday morning practices. He was way too fast for my cell phone and I don't have a fancy camera, so none of my photos are in high definition. But the experience of watching from the first row is amazing. Not that my seat was in the first row, but it was surprisingly empty in the arena for the practices (doubly astonishing since Shoma was there), so I made use of the opportunity. Few skating experiences beat the one when Sota is whizzing half a meter past you with a determined look on his face. At least if you're his fan. ;) I think that next time I attend a competition where Sota participates, I will do my best to buy first row seats since it wasn't even that cold down there (another surprise). Naturally, I didn't call out to him or otherwise disturb him - I know better than to do that when skaters have the concentrated look on their face. (For the same reason, I didn't call out to Gabby after her unofficial practice, though she was wearing earphones anyway) It seemed to me Sota might have had a cold since during all of his practices he blew his nose quite often, but it might have been just my impression. I was starting to wonder how to give Sota a small present I'd prepared for him (some candy since it seems he likes food, but too fragile to be just thrown onto the ice). Fortunately, I had a stroke of inspiration and asked a Finlandia staffer when unofficial FP practices were being held, and to my delight she said it was Saturday morning.

The SP was so exciting to watch! There were so many nice skates, and this fan really needs a score box on the screen as all jumps looked like quads or 3A to me (I blame my seat not too far from the ice). I was hoping Sota could hold his own against them. But I'd never have thought he'd do so in such a grand manner! What an entrance and an impactful performance. I think East of Eden is a really good vehicle for him, despite Machida's iconic rendition. Did anyone else notice the re-emergence of the 'drama hands'? They were cute when he was little, and I felt that in the Tchaikovsky program for instance, he was trying to get the annoying (for him I mean) gesture done fast so he could concentrate on important stuff (jumps). But now this move has a new dramatic flair that feels genuine to me and fits in so well with the music. As do his twizzles. And that step sequence has so much potential... I wonder if he can make it a lv4 by the end of the season. I hope he can, he's just made to perform epic steps!
I only saw Sota's reaction to his score on the jumbotron, but it was priceless. A look of unfeigned astonishment and delight. Loved it. And Naruse sensei looked so happy! I left the arena that day in an elated and festive mood. What a fighter Sota has grown to be! ^ ^

The next day started well for me, since I was able to give Sota my present. I had my mom and my friend occupy the best seats in the practice hall for calling out to leaving skaters (and we got to greet Naruse sensei as she was passing us). It worked, as did my trusty tentative "Yamamoto senshu" call, and I handed Sota my present from the balcony and wished him good luck.

surimi

Record Breaker
Sota report part 2, because it would be too long for one post.

In the FP, the last group struggled. Sota looked solid in the warm-up, but warm-ups can be misleading, and Sota's case was no exception. I was worried during his skate, and people sitting next to me gave me a few strage looks as I yelped 'no!' at every fall. I guess they had no idea that we Sota fans are always afraid for his ankles (at least I think most of us are), and each fall is dangerous. The crowd's reaction to Sota struggling was heartwarming, they started clapping spontaneously to cheer him up, and naturally, so did I. We did that for all skaters experiencing difficulties, and I have to say the atmosphere at the Saturday and Sunday competitions was warm and supportive. Still, Sota looked devastated after his skate, and only after Naruse sensei tried to cheer him up in the KnC (guesswork, of course nothing was heard where I was sitting) did he relax a bit. He received lots of flowers and presents after his skate, and it was heartwarming to see how supportive his coach was of him.
I've read something along the lines of him being unable to find the right axis/balance for his jumps after the initial fall. I wonder what led to that. If I were to guess, I'd say he was panicking during the skate and was growing ever more desperate after each failed jump. My mum thinks he rushed the jump landings because he didn't look so focused to her before takeoffs as he did in the short. I privately suspect that he wasn't mentally ready to be in the position to challenge Shoma. We have heard him say his plan was to gradually close the gap between him and Shoma, and well, that gap closed too suddenly in the SP, and much earlier than Sota expected, I suspect. I guess it just rattled him and the pressure and the enormity of what he achieved, just got to him, resulting in a meltdown. That's my personal hypothesis, everyone's free to make their own guess.

Now, the ceremony - I was happy for Sota's silver. I kind of lost hope he'd podium after his program, but it was great he could repeat his one-two finish from his junior days. He seemed happy on the podium, and the audience loved the interactions between him and Shoma, and occasionally Roman. The victory lap was weirdly timed, I disliked how the ceremonies featured no anthems, and men's was interrupted by the synchro ceremony so that the victory laps took place together. I couldn't care less for synchro when it interrupts the men's moment! I wish they'd kept the ceremonies separate, and let the boys pose and take photos and just enjoy their moment without the awkward break. Anyhow, I got to high five Shoma and Sota as they passed me, and got my third photo with Sota done, and this time my banner joined me. ^ ^ I really wanted to tell him not to let the FP get to him, that it's normal to make mistakes, and that he'll rise again in no time, but I am unable to say this all in Japanese, and I suspect he wouldn't understand me if I spoke in English. So, I was again practically mute except for blurting out I still loved his skating (in English) and that he was my sukina senshu (geez, who would have guessed? :rolleye:). Maybe in two years or so, when I've learnt more grammar and vocabulary...
Everybody loved the Shoma-Sota train as they decided to leave. This is what I am referring to - https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EGvZP5jWkAA_BOy.jpg - and look, it even made its way into fanart already (not mine) - https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EG5kEK_VAAAkAS8.jpg:small People didn't want to let them go, and some were still hopeful to get autographs. I really wanted Shoma's, but it wasn't to be.

The next day, I was happy to cheer for Yuhana and managed to give her a present as she was leaving the morning FS practice. (Where was everyone? Liza and Alina K present, Finnish ladies present, yet there were many empty seats, even in the first rows?) I was proud to have interacted in Japanese for the most part (nothing much, just a few basic sentences). However, pride comes before the fall as they say, and I have to regretfully admit that my self-confidence took a hard blow just as I was leaving ladies' practice. I guess my capacities to speak Japanese were spent on saying a few words to Yuhana... In short, I was stopped in the corridor by two reporters from the Nagoya TV (at least that's what they said), and uh, I was interviewed for the first time in my life. -_- I don't even remember what jumbled nonsense I babbled, mostly about Sota as they were intrigued by having seen me with my banner earlier. I hope from the heart that the footage is never used. To use a LotR quote, "hidden deep in the vaults, never to be used, unless at the utmost end of need". x_x Worst of all, when they learnt I was learning Japanese (why did you tell them, stupid, why?) , I was asked to say something, and to my dismay, everything I've ever learned left my head. Utter embarrassment, I barely dragged myself back to my mom and friend. :slink:
I hope for a silver lining. Maybe someone in the Japanese Fed hears Sota has European fans, and sends him to a European Challenger next year? At best, Nepela, which is like next door for me! If Keiji went there, then so can Sota, pretty please? That would make every minute of the embarrassment worth it ten times.

Last note: I am convinced that during the ladies' FS, Sota was there in the arena. Knowing he likes watching skating and cheering his teammates on (and trying to be invisible ;) ), I took a look around when the final two flights of ladies took to the ice, just in case. And lo and behold - high up in the stands on the opposite side, I could distinguish a boyish figure dressed all in black, with dark hair in their face, sitting in the darkened upper section where noone else was sitting, and enjoying some late snack or early dinner. They seemed to watch Yuhana the most intently out of all the ladies (but that's wild guesswork, it was quite a distance and I looked up only sporadically, focusing on the ladies' programs). I even took a few pics but they're all blurry so we won't know for sure, but I'd say he was there to support his teammate. How nice of him!

Now, I hope you guys haven't fallen asleep out of boredom reading this biggie. It's not like I'll get to see Sota again anytime soon. Neither NHK nor Nats are on my to-do list, unless I win a lottery (both the Japanese one for tickets, and the regular one for money), and Worlds/4CC are way out of my price range. But I'll be happy if Sota qualifies.

Newest gem by google translate: Sota Yamamoto = Yuta Yokomoto :laugh:

Giu

On the Ice
Country
Italy
Now, I hope you guys haven't fallen asleep out of boredom reading this biggie. It's not like I'll get to see Sota again anytime soon. Neither NHK or Nats are on my to-do list, unless I win a lottery (both the Japanese one for tickets, and the normal one for money), and Worlds/4CC are way out of my price range. But I'll be happy if Sota qualifies.

Newest gem by google translate: Sota Yamamoto = Yuta Yokomoto :laugh:

Surimi your report it’s not boring at all, actually it’s really sweet. For me reading your feelings and thoughts it’s like to watch myself at Lombardia Trophy (except the fact this year I didn’t get the chance to meet Kazuki, maybe because I relaxed after getting my pic with Hiraike coach). I feel the hope, the joy of seeing your favourite skater after a long time and also the fear that he might not do well. I wish I was able to write a report like you but my English is not that good :)
Also I’m super happy that you managed to give Sota your little present, that was the sweetest part. ☺️
Like you, I think that his falls on the jumps are due to the fact he knew he had the chance to beat Shoma and for this reason he wasn’t able to control his nerves ( I know another one that is having trouble with nerves lately 😭)

Ahaha now I’m gonna rewatch Sota’s videos to see if I’m able to spot you with your banner!

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Thanks surimi for your heartwarming and informative report. I'm happy you got to cheer for him. Can I send your report along with my Japanese translation to another Japanese Sota fan blogger for her to include it in her blog post? Since she could not go to Finlandia, she would appreciate your report.

KiraraChin

Medalist
Thank you so much for your report, Surimi! (Where's part 1, btw?)
It sounds like you had a wonderful time! Great job in speaking some Japanese and even giving an interview! Please don't be so hard on yourself, I think you did extremely well considering the stress of the situations - I don't think I would be able to speak to Kazuki in English, let alone a foreign language...

Gabby30

On the Ice
Well, we don't know what really happened. And we can't just claim it's "nerves" or "pressure" when someone has a bad day. It's not fair to make this kind of assumptions. Assuming this means you think someone is weak

surimi

Record Breaker
Alternately, we can refrain from negativity and provoking in this forum, and if we can't be happy with just supporting our faves and cannot play nice with others, maybe forums are not the right place for us, hmm? What do you think, 'Gabby'? :handw:

KiraraChin

Medalist
Thank you so much for your report, Surimi! (Where's part 1, btw?)
Nevermind, I can see the part 1, it was just me being ditzy :laugh:

Well, we don't know what really happened. And we can't just claim it's "nerves" or "pressure" when someone has a bad day. It's not fair to make this kind of assumptions. Assuming this means you think someone is weak
I'm sorry, I really don't agree with this. Being nervous is not weak, it's human. In any case, Surimi made clear that's just her opinion, it's not like she's claiming to speak for Sota. Please chill.

surimi

Record Breaker
Kirara, it wasn't you, I accidentally deleted the first post but admins helped me find it and put it up again. Whew! ;)

Thanks, Kirara & Giu! Hopefully I'll get to cheer for Kazuki too! The last blank banner is still waiting at home to get a name printed on it, so... *_* Let's make a prayer circle that both Kazuki and Sota can be sent somewhere we can all go. Then it would be a merry meeting! :biggrin:

-----

This has been shared elsewhere, it's a new-ish interview with Sota (magazine came out in early October) that has been translated: https://twitter.com/sotacrumbs/status/1182143456606474240/photo/1

KiraraChin

Medalist
Kirara, it wasn't you, I accidentally deleted the first post but admins helped me find it and put it up again. Whew! ;)

Thanks, Kirara & Giu! Hopefully I'll get to cheer for Kazuki too! The last blank banner is still waiting at home to get a name printed on it, so... *_* Let's make a prayer circle that both Kazuki and Sota can be sent somewhere we can all go. Then it would be a merry meeting! :biggrin:

-----

This has been shared elsewhere, it's a new-ish interview with Sota (magazine came out in early October) that has been translated: https://twitter.com/sotacrumbs/status/1182143456606474240/photo/1

Oh, I see! Glad I'm not completely ditzy :laugh:
I'm joining the prayer circle for Kazuki and Sota at Nepela next year! :pray:

surimi

Record Breaker
Quickly posting some more Finlandia stuff before SA kicks off for real:

- who is in for some nostalgia? This fan video documents Shoma and Sota's friendship since juniors: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCqkn6ISIeI (you gotta be quick to view and download, it's a video that uses some Jpop song, so I don't dare hope the uploader will be left in peace for long)

- you have to love that look of determination ^ ^ https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EGsIlgtWoAMFhCB.jpg

- Sota's beautiful spread eagle has found its way into fan art: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EHCKXc4UYAE1uXX.jpg

- unbelievable that this is the KnC after his FP: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EG1IxyEUYAI-SZJ.jpg One of Sota's most precious qualities for me, is how he never looks defeated for long.

- happily posing with Shoma backstage https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EGsaWjqXUAAuVkX.jpg and https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EGxggOBX4AAsTAu.jpg (see how he is hugging Shoma? Aww ^ ^ )

- posing in front of the Helsinki cathedral with Yuhana https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EG1huqZXkAAL5ZS.jpg

- and he seems happy back in Japan, eating out with his buddies Ryuju and Haruya! https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EHFmqstVAAAfd0s.jpg

google translate exceeded expectations today! 'Harada Yamamoto' is a 'big unfinished child of Kishiwada'... omg lol :unsure:

surimi

Record Breaker
Stumbled upon this Japanese Sportsnavi interview with Sota today, but no idea what it says as it wants you to click somewhere to see it continued and I cannot read kanji so... https://sports.yahoo.co.jp/column/detail/201910180016-spnavi Apparently Sota says he wants to go to the Beijing Olys (which we know) and that his injury doesn't bother him at all anymore, and he can train new content without fear? No idea though, that's just google translate.
But at least there's a nice photo there, blue is really Sota's color and with that haircut and looking all relaxed, he looks maybe even younger than he is.

Tsurara

On the Ice
Stumbled upon this Japanese Sportsnavi interview with Sota today, but no idea what it says as it wants you to click somewhere to see it continued and I cannot read kanji so...
I know, it's asking you to download their app (on your smartphone) to read the rest, I really hate this kinda stuff and some companies keep on doing this to gain more users of their app. It's one of those articles only available on a smartphone (not even sure if it's accessible outside Japan) and they are not willing to let you read it on pc.

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
This Sota fan blog has several reports on Howa Festival (Oct. 20) contributed by her readers. I translated one of the reports as follows:
https://ameblo.jp/kmn-psn/entry-12538130095.html

By June:
I arrived at Howa Sports Land around 8:30. But many (about 50) people had already been waiting in line before the reception! Ticket (500 yen) sales started at 9:45. The event started 11:00. Available seats were on the second floor and every seat was assigned (no choice), instead of on a first-come-first-served basis. I was a little disappointed because even though I got there very early, my seat was in the corner and the only good point is that it was on the second row (but fortunately it turned out to be a super-duper lucky seat).

Before the event started, I noticed that no cameras were allowed at all times, so I told myself “Okay, I will burn into my memory everything in this rink where So-chan skates all the time!” and I took a long hard look at the rink from corner to corner. I was taking in the atmosphere and staring intently at the banners with Howa senshu portraits, signboards of Coca Cola and Bridgestone (whatever), and at the rinkside right in front of me a beautiful face of Yuhana Yokoi came into view! “Huh? Ah? Whoa!! So-chan!”

That’s right. The area almost directly below my seat must have been the entrance/exit for skaters. In no time Sota-kun showed up! Right there. So close by. I could almost touch him. I was so excited that for a second I wanted to jump down from the second floor, but I thought better of it for fear of flattening Sota-kun. (needless to say!)

I had expected “You’re beautiful” since the event was gala show, but when I saw his costume I said without thinking “Oh, Eden!” I could no longer keep my eyes off his white costume. The prince appeared and the crowd started buzzing. High school girls near me went wild. He was so popular. He certainly had a great figure. His face was small. The slender ikemen (handsome guy) looked up towards the second floor audience with a big smile. “Oh, No, don’t look at us like this, or I will faint!” (Sorry I was asking too much.)

Then, the show started. Main cast of the day were Sota-kun, Wakana Naganawa-san, Yuhana Yokoi-san, Tatchan of Tsuboi, and Kinayu Yokoi-san. Everyone was wonderful and Yuhana-chan skated to Phantom of the Opera with the previous costume (I prefer that one), and I was particularly impressed by her dynamic skate. Tatchan pushed himself and went for 3A. He fell but his feet seemed fine.

Finally Sota-kun’s East of Eden, which I had been re-watching on YouTube so many times. His jumps were 3S? (4S?), 3T, 2A but as always his skate was beautiful, fluid and splendid. He put deep emotions in his skate throughout the program. And the last spread eagle was incredibly gorgeous…I believe he will brush up on his performance even more. What a fantastic program it will be.

Last skater was Akiko Suzuki-san. However, during her skate I was watching (right below me) Sota-kun who was at the rinkside watching Akiko-san, so I barely remember what she skated to and how she did it (it might have been “Tegami” by Angela Aki.) I am sorry!

Lastly all the cast members came on the ice and greeted the crowd. Sota-kun came out holding a microphone, so I hoped that we could hear him talk! But he handed it over to Yuhana-chan right away and she delivered the closing words of thanks. (I wonder if she had lost to So-chan at rock-paper-scissors. To all the skaters out there, good job!

It was the first time I went to Howa Festival and time flew. It really made my heart warm to see many relaxed faces of skaters. Thank you all for the wonderful time!

surimi

Record Breaker
Sportsnavi article: Thank you cornception for the link, and to people who translated it!
What caught my eye:
- "It's easier for bones to grow when they take impact" - huh, what a strange thought! I know very little of medical science, but I'd think that bones in a growing body are unstable and especially susceptible to breaking? It's always said of the training amount for dogs, that while they are growing the training amount should be kept down to avoid overburdening their joints and bones. I don't know if it's the same for people, I imagine it is but I guess skaters don't have much of a choice.
- I can't believe he hadn't seen Kevin's version before he picked In This Shirt. Didn't he say he was watching Worlds?! I find it hard to believe that such a skating enthusiast would only watch Yuzuru and not others, especially when they're top 10 contenders. I hope someone asks him about Kevin specifically to clear this up.
- I was so happy to hear he wants to highlight the steps in his programs. They already are the highlights for me. I love Sota's steps, spins and spread eagles. I want him to nail a lv4 step sequence this season!
- Sota's view differs from the one of his idol Yuzuru re. the new FS time limit. I had no idea that Sota preferred the new one, but I am glad he finds it easier.

Thank you Rainbow for sharing June's translation! I was happy to read it. It's nice to hear the thoughts of fans who got to watch and meet Sota live. As well as the warm cheering of those who do not have that option. I hope that as Sota established himself more (I really hope for his good health), more of his fans will have a chance to see him skate.

cornception

Rinkside
- I can't believe he hadn't seen Kevin's version before he picked In This Shirt. Didn't he say he was watching Worlds?! I find it hard to believe that such a skating enthusiast would only watch Yuzuru and not others, especially when they're top 10 contenders. I hope someone asks him about Kevin specifically to clear this up.

sota did talk about kevin's program here! i saw u linked the team japan before interview before but maybe u missed this..

https://twitter.com/sotacrumbs/status/1182143468153360384?s=21

-- Your free is "In This Shirt" by The Irrepressibles. Is this music also of your own choosing?
Sota: Yes. I found it on Youtube too, and thinking "What a nice song," I decided on it after discussion with my coaches. I hadn't heard of it prior to that and thought no other skater had used it before, it was only after I picked it that I learnt about (Kevin) Aymoz senshu using it for his free. When I was watching the World Championships and the music started playing I went "Eh?!" (laughs).

-- Like "Someone used it!"
Sota: After that, I found out it was also used in ice dance (Kaitlyn Hawayek/Jean-Luc Baker) (laughs)

-- Watching the World Championships, what impression did you have of Kevin Aymoz senshu's performance?
Sota: It's an interesting program with difficult tricks and unique poses. And the music really was great (laughs)

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Here’s a video of Sota after Finlandia Trophy. The program was broadcasted on Oct. 25 by a local Nagoya TV station. The original video runs 46 minutes but this video is trimmed to have Sota content only.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1y9NOd99vEHgfTXawG4ggm6pPjdXB1vPT/view?usp=sharing

Translation:
Cameraman: Raise your hand a bit higher…OK, hold it.
Narrator: He is a nice young man and looks dignified in hakama (traditional Japanese formal garment). Sota Yamamoto will turn 20 in January next year. In the highly competitive senior figure skating world, he is more determined this season.
S: I’m very much on the edge of cliff now, and I want to give it my best shot at every competition.
Narrator: When he was a junior skater he competed on a global stage alongside Shoma Uno. He mastered a quad jump and his skating life was going well…so we thought. Three years ago he broke his right ankle at practice. After undergoing three surgeries he spent a long time off-ice.
S: I couldn’t get rid of my desire to skate, skate again. That helped keep pushing myself.
Narrator: He came back to competition after one and a half years. His jumps were singles only. Still he went forward steadily. And at the last competition last season he successfully landed a quad! After three years he made a comeback to the previous level.
Narrator: This season he is going for two types of quads. He increased the amount of practice and his mindset changed as well.
S: Before, I was training like rehabilitation exercise, but these days I practice so that I can get better.
Narrator: Now he was coming to the crucial point. The result came as a surprise.
** The deleted next scene was where Machiko Yamada (Shoma’s former coach) and Kanako Murakami were chatting with an announcer. They mostly talked about Shoma and Sota at Finlandia Trophy with the same old footage.

Sota & Yuhana strolling around the city of Finland:

Narrator: The day after the Finlandia Trophy, the good buddies from the same club went sightseeing.
S: Which one of us brought the rain? Either one? Both of us? It’s raining so hard today.
Y: Let’s decide by paper-rock-scissors!
S: It’s not something we should decide by paper-rock-scissors, ah (reacting to Yuhana’s “One Two Three”he quickly turns around.)
Y: “Paper rock scissors, go!”What!
S: Yay! You’re the rain girl. Here’s a girl who brought the rain.
Y: But your sunny boy power is not working!
S: Geez! Are you kidding me? I’m not a boy to bring sunny weather (laughing).
Narrator: In the rain they are trying to find something great for Instagram.
S: That fish shaped cone is throwing up. Ice cream is spit up like that (laughing).
S: Looks like the poor thing is having a hard time! The fish.
Y: They also have a fish shaped waffle filled with cheese.
S: Girls these days wants to add cheese to everything.
Y: And stretch cheese right away!
S: Ahahaha
Y: But what makes things instagenic is, after all, things that you have hardly ever seen, isn’t it?
S: Huh…
Y: Great!
Narrator: Holding a smartphone Yokoi senshu is looking for photogenic subjects.
Y: Oh it stopped.
S: It was an interesting scenery.
Y: It’s hard. My camera is busted, and I don’t know why I cannot get the rear camera to work, so I have to do like this to take photos.
S: Wow, Insta-worthy.
(Photo of the street view)
S: Beautiful cityscape.
S: Your screen is so cracked. (laughing).
Narrator: The next photography subject is salmon which a specialty of Finland.
S: Is it Instagrammable?
Y: Not really.
Narrator: They give up taking Insta-worthy photos and go for gourmet food.
S: You should show your manly personality.
Y: No, I want to show an opposite side of me.
S: So you’re actually a girly girl.
Naruse coach: If you change your character now, how many days can you keep it? (laughing)
Y: It’s hard to slice this. (She gives up using a knife and eats a piece with fingers.)
S: You eat with fingers?
Y: (big bite)
Narrator: She is manly after all.
Narrator: Then, Finland is famous for moomin. Yamamoto senshu is looking for souvenirs and found an item which brought back a memory.
Sota: After the free program someone threw a stuffed moomin onto the ice and sensei was holding it. Yoriko (Naruse) senseei was cheering me up with it, but I could not respond to it at all. I was thinking that I just had messed up big time.
Y: Well, four falls is…kind of...
S: Crappy. I’ve never seen anybody doing that!
S: I’ll make my best effort! Really!
Y: Next time you may be perfect.
S: Yes I’ll do my best.
(Yamamoto senshu and Yokoi senshu usually don’t go sightseeing.)

Songs that make local skaters feel energetic:

S: An artist called Aimyon. I’ve had only a handful of favorite songs or artists, but she has a nice voice and her lyrics are intense so I listen to her songs to motivate myself these days.

surimi

Record Breaker
Thanks a lot for the translation, Rainbow! Hilarious to think I went sightseeing on the same day as Sota and Yuhana, and could have bumped into them somewhere! ^ ^

For those who have too little time to watch the video, check out these cool and fun photos from it in this blog article: https://ameblo.jp/kmn-psn/entry-12539396829.html Nice photos of Sota and Yuhana sightseeing in Finland, and our first glimpse of an adult Sota in traditional Japanese clothes, and with a sword and fan! They become him, don't they? :biggrin:

Not much other Sota news, but:
- good luck to him at West Japan sectionals! The SP competition is held tomorrow (from 10.55 Japan time - that means we Europeans can check the result right after we wake up). The FPs start on Sunday 11.55 Japan time. Sota is competing against Kazuki, Mitsuki, Ryuju and Taichi, most notably.
- he's scheduled to participate in the Nagoya Festival at the beginning of January. Another confirmed participant is Keiji.
Lucky Japanese fans, after the Howa Thanksgiving Day, and Chukyo University practice rink open house day (or whatever), so many more opportunities to see Sota!