Sota Yamamoto | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Sota Yamamoto

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Are all of Shoma Uno, Boyang Jin, Alexander Petrov, and Adian Pitkeev in seniors now?

If so... who (if anyone) now presents a serious challenge to Sota this season?!

I think Petrov may come back for Junior worlds. -And there is Nathan Chen, who, if uninjured is quite good.

So, Petrov, Sota and Chen are the top contenders for the Junior title next year.

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
^Maria Victoria
You caught me :biggrin:
Sota was part of the reasons why I purchased tickets before the full cast was announced, but I think he was having his "off" day on Sunday.
He made multiple mistakes in his jumps but everything else about his Poeta looked promising and I can't wait to see it at JGP. He looked more mature and I liked what I could see of the costume too. As I'm writing this, I think he probably did much better than I remember. It's just that 2 skaters who went before him were so good that his mistakes stood out more.
He apparently landed a 4T in the finale, but I don't remember it :bang:! He went out to jump with Shoma, who did a 4S(2ft). Too many things going on at once.

Unfortunately, I wasn't watching figure skating when Stéphane was competing so I can't really make a comparison yet. I'm kind of glad he's staying in junior because the comparison would be made from all angles if he were skating at senior GPs. I would be too! I love Stéphane :love:

Thank you mikaboo. :) I am glad too Sota is staying in juniors because as has been noted, he still needs to develop both technically and artistically so he can hold his own in the senior ranks. He and his team seem aware of this too hence his practicing quad jumps and having flamenco music for his SP.

Stephane's "Poeta" at 2007 Worlds: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PE1_0xd9A4k. Despite the jumps not being all there ;), it was a beautiful performance. The ending spin was just a blur!

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia

mikaboo

Medalist
Thank you for the links. I have seen his Poeta on YouTube before but I love getting suggestions for the "best" performances. I also just watched the Art on Ice version of Poeta with the flamenco dancer and that was also gorgeous.

Thank you mikaboo. :) I am glad too Sota is staying in juniors because as has been noted, he still needs to develop both technically and artistically so he can hold his own in the senior ranks. He and his team seem aware of this too hence his practicing quad jumps and having flamenco music for his SP.
I hope Sota can improve in all areas. I actually don't mind if he stays junior or goes senior but I hope he has good competitors at JGP before JW if he goes. Juniors are so fun to watch without having to get too emotionally invested.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
Sota's new SP!!, i like it a lot!! i cant believe how mature he looks compared to last year, he improved his arm movements and it really makes difference and he seemed faster as well, and placements of jumps (esp 3Lz3T) is perfect with the notes (without weird fall of course XD), i am really impressed :clap: :yay:

Rissa

Record Breaker
The steps towards the end were spectacular.

But Sota... what are you wearing??? :hopelessness: And I'm a person who bizarre costumes.

firal

Record Breaker
He does look very grown up compare to how I remembered him, even in the post-show interview I felt his comments and way of speech is a totally different guy! I do still think he looked quite unsure and sometimes void of expression on the ice, where as Nathan Chen, from what I've seen, connects to the music and the program a lot better. I know he is aiming for gold at Junior Worlds and Nathan will definitely be a big challenge.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I like the program a lot, especially the ending. At the beginning he needs to control his arms a bit more. Even if his facial expression stays as it is, he needs to have arm-hands control. What has always impressed me about Sota is the timing of his elements, his jumps and spins are always right on the music and his skating is fast!

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
Sota's new SP!!, i like it a lot!! i cant believe how mature he looks compared to last year, he improved his arm movements and it really makes difference and he seemed faster as well, and placements of jumps (esp 3Lz3T) is perfect with the notes (without weird fall of course XD), i am really impressed :clap: :yay:

I like it. :) Except for the jumps that as mikaboo noted took the day off, he did better than I expected for a debut performance of a program with this kind of music. He was able to maintain the erect carriage throughout the program demanded by the music, was fast, and had presence on the ice. Now I want him to smolder and project some more to the audience.

mikaboo

Medalist
I like it. :) Except for the jumps that as mikaboo noted took the day off, he did better than I expected for a debut performance of a program with this kind of music. He was able to maintain the erect carriage throughout the program demanded by the music, was fast, and had presence on the ice. Now I want him to smolder and project some more to the audience.

I heard that the broadcast was from the 2nd show on Saturday and the day I went was on Sunday, but he pretty much made the same mistakes as he did on Sunday. He said in the interview afterwards that he's been doing well during practices so he might have just had 2 bad skates in a row.
I like his SP more now that I've seen it more than once now. I don't mind his costume but I'd have to see it under competition lights.
As for projecting more to the audience, I hope he took notes from watching Hiroaki Sato :dance:

Sota tweeted that Saturday was the selection meeting day (?) for JGP. I'm so looking forward for JGP to start.
https://twitter.com/so_ta0110/status/611883391672135680

Also a 4S attempt on his instagram.
https://instagram.com/p/4IyCGBK4l3/

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
As for projecting more to the audience, I hope he took notes from watching Hiroaki Sato :dance:

Oh Hiroaki was hilariously and hysterically good! (And I get the description of him being a hybrid of Tatsuki and Akio Sasaki.) Yes Sota can definitely learn a thing or two from him.

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
Based on that first picture, it seems Sota-kun will have a similar body type to Yuzu. :laugh:

hamaguri

Record Breaker
Based on that first picture, it seems Sota-kun will have a similar body type to Yuzu. :laugh:

Yea!! He's also very slim!!

Not just his looks, but his technical strength has some similarity with yuzu. Especially, spin! The other day’s live show, when he was getting spin, I thought “He’s just like yuzu!” Sometimes they really look alike. Sota says something along the lines of “I’ve seen Hanyu-san’s videos thousands of times, so my performance may be naturally getting close to his'.”:)

Last edited: