Sota Yamamoto | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Sota Yamamoto

ahkeekee

Medalist
Not just his looks, but his technical strength has some similarity with yuzu. Especially, spin! The other day’s live show, when he was getting spin, I thought “He’s just like yuzu!” Sometimes they really look alike. Sota says something along the lines of “I’ve seen Hanyu-san’s videos thousands of times, so I’m naturally getting close to him.”:)
What a humble little fan boy!! He's of course not only a shadow of yuzu!! He has the potential to grow successful like yuzu!!

mikaboo

Medalist
^Thank you Doris!
--------

TV news clip about Sota. He's basically saying the same things as in the GS interview posted above.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x33spm5_0831-15歳の挑戦_sport
- He measures himself against Yuzuru's accomplishments and says he's a year behind him (with the 3A, JN/JW titles) when he was the same age but wants to catch up.
- His coach says he has soft knees and ankles and he's probably on the genius side in the skating world. His soft skating helps with the flow of his jump landings which is similar to Yuzuru. He also says in the 2nd interview that Sota's goals are to land the 4T and 3A constantly so they have to practice many times or he'll be in trouble during competitions.
- Sota attended 3 training camps this summer (7/26-29 Senior training camp, 7/30-8/2 Junior training camp, 8/3-7 Howa Skating Club training camp) and competed at Summer Cup from 8/8-10. He had 6 hours on-ice training during Howa Skating Club training camp. He's tired but he thinks he's improved in various areas.
- His 4T(fall) was ratified for the first time in competition at Summer Cup but he popped both 3As after it.
- At the airport before he left for JGP, he says he's been having more success with the 4T in the program since Summer Cup and wants to land both the 4T and 3A.

I am glad to know about his hard schedule during the summer before he competed at a local competition. Popping both the 3A didn't sound good to me when I heard it first, but it's understandable considering he's been in 3 consecutive training camps prior to the event. Wish him luck this JGP season.

Rissa

Record Breaker
I like Sota's skating, possibly because his style is similar to Yuzuru's whom I like very much. However, the idea of being "behind" is silly, I hope he knows that. The junior competition is much stiffer now in terms of technical content than it was when Yuzuru took the junior titles and besides, everyone has their own pace, Sota being in general very much "ahead" as far as age/accomplishments ratios go.

I think if he continues developing and nothing unforseen happens, he will have a good chance of joining Yuzu and Shoma at 2018 Olympics (provided Japan will hav 3 spots), Takahito Mura and Daisuke Murakami will be 27 then and they might have to give way to the younger more robust skaters.

I really can't wait for him to get that 4T and 3A stable in competition and to see how he will measure up against his domestic competition in general and against his age group internationally.

firal

Record Breaker
I love seeing these kinds of TV programs; his personality is so easy going and so adorable that it makes me want to root for him even more. I was surprised to hear him say that Plushenko was the reason for him to start skating (didn't know about that!) Like many have mentioned in the the other thread, I also think Nathan Chen, among others, would make his goal of gold medal challenging, but at the same time it's good to have a hard goal.

hamaguri

Record Breaker
Thanks @doris and @mikaboo.:bow:

I also expect his future. When I saw him live at Japanese Natioals 2014, what struck me was his speed. I couldn’t take my eyes off Sota’s speed.. Sota’s transition was not so dense, so it was respectively easy to keep speed.. Anyway, I hope he will develop keeping it. And that huuuge combo...

Last edited:

hamaguri

Record Breaker
Last edited:

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
when i 1st saw this program at DOI i was really impressed, maybe missing 3A affected his performance but it wasnt bad at all and he didnt give up, i hope he will do better at LP! :cheer:

ahkeekee

Medalist
Just finished watching the live stream and sota kun's free skate...... it's probably not sota kun's day today

Last edited:

Plumededragon

Medalist
Just finished watching the live stream and sota kun's free skate...... it's probably not sota kun's day today
Indeed, but at least he finished 3rd and still has a chance for the GPF. I hope he'll be able to rock everything next time. He has the talent for it.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
no, it was not his day, but there are positives to this experience for him as well.
He landed both the 3A and the 4T in a single program. Even when his jumps were feeling 'off' he was able to do this. So he should build on that and let it boost his confidence a little. Not everyone starts the season off at their best. I think he can continue to improve.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
he wasnt perfect but he didnt give up and pop anything, i kinda like his SP more cause he seems more into the program but i am sure as season goes on he will improve his performance for LP as well
seems like he will have better chance at gold at his next event, only Alexei from USA has both quad and 3A, other top men has either 3A or quad, i dont know about Vladislav from Russia, and i dont know if Irakli added quad to his arsenal but he has great 3A, of course he needs to skate better cause Roman and Deniss has great artistry , its gonna be exciting ! :cheer:

tsuyoboogie

"Dedicate your heart" & Slay like an Ackerman
Record Breaker
Very proud of Sota for committing to his 3A and 4T during his FS rather than popping them. Between that nasty fall and possibly the effects from the altitude, you could see him really pushing hard to finish as well as he did. Nice fight! I'm confident that as the season progresses so will the consistency of his "big boy" jumps. Congratulations to him on his bronze medal and 11pts.

Last edited:

Adeliza

Rinkside
Congratulations to Sota on his 3rd place finish in Colorado! I really like his programmes this season, especially the music choises. He seemed more connected to the music in his SP but I'm sure his FS can reach quite an artistic level as the season progresses. And his costumes are not bad either! :p Too bad his 3A's didn't quite work out this weekend, but let's hope he will nail them in his next JGP assignment.

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
So happy Sota could show a better performance this time! Hope he does well in the free! :cheer2:

hamaguri

Record Breaker
Last edited:

Adeliza

Rinkside
I'm so happy for Sota, his free skate in Torun was amazing! He improved his personal best FS score by more than ten points! :clap: